Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pedals...Ones You Love, Ones You Hate, & Ones you Want!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pedals...Ones You Love, Ones You Hate, & Ones you Want!

Quote Originally Posted by CelticDude View Post
    I noticed that Musician's Friend is having a sale on T-Rex Tonebug pedals. I have the reverb pedal, and really like it a lot. I'm being tempted by the sustain pedal, even though I've never felt a lack of sustain before (it might just be the cool Irish green...) Also the wah pedal.
    Thanks very much for the info! That looks like a great deal.
    Below is a pretty good demo video featuring four of these pedals. (I Love, Love the sound of the Fuzz box in this video demo [that demo starts at ~3:00 into the vid], especially on the rythym PUP).
    Again, this looks like a smokin' deal! Thanks again.

Oh, and I also really like the sound of the Phaser pedal in this line. (That vintage vs. modern switch is a neat feature.)

Last edited by Ed Goist; Apr-07-2012 at 8:26am. Reason: added video for phaser demo
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

I had just about decided to pass on these pedals, but no, you go and post some demos. What were you thinking, posting these vids? Especially since the coolest ones are the more expensive ones. Thanks for finding these... Must Resist Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS)!

Seriously, these do look like good deals, and ToneBugs are nicely made pedals. If anyone goes for them, let us know what you think.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Anyone else ever notice that most of these pedal and amplifier demos feature a pretty good dose of David Gilmour licks?
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandopete View Post
    Anyone else ever notice that most of these pedal and amplifier demos feature a pretty good dose of David Gilmour licks?
    All electric guitarists need ask but one question...

WWDGD?
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Not everyone's cup of tea but my favorite pedal of all time is the MXR Blue Box - 2 octaves down + gated fuzz. Great for getting weird analog synth/ninteno tones, combine it with wah, more fuzz, and chorus for extra craziness. See the song "Damnit Coby" by my band Spooky Action for examples

That's the only pedal out of the ordinary I use, my board is:

MXR blue box>crybaby>ts9>snarling dogs black dog od>big muff>line6 space chorus>line6 tap tremolo> Morley little alligator volume>EH #1 echo

I can strongly recommend any of the above pedals for emando, and they can all be found fairly cheap used if you scout around. The Snarling Dogs black dog overdrive has been surprisingly good, when paired with a good low wattage tube amp you get some really big od sounds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by igowing View Post
    Not everyone's cup of tea but my favorite pedal of all time is the MXR Blue Box - 2 octaves down + gated fuzz. Great for getting weird analog synth/ninteno tones, combine it with wah, more fuzz, and chorus for extra craziness. See the song "Damnit Coby" by my band Spooky Action for examples
    ...snip...
    Great stuff igowing!
    I really like that track, and I look forward to hearing more from Spooky Action.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

I received two Visual Sound pedals today: the Visual Sound Garage Tone 'Oil Can' Phaser, and the Visual Sound 'Route 66' combination Compressor/overdrive pedal...It was like "Pedal Christmas in April" here today!

(disclaimer: though I purchased the Oil Can phaser off amazon.com last week, I should say that I won the Route 66 thanks to a generous give-away by Visual Sound through their Facebook page)

Here are my reviews of these pedals:

Oil Can Phaser:
    The build quality of the pedal is excellent. Housing and knobs are well built and sturdy. Controls for speed and depth combine to offer just about any phase characteristic any player could want. The phaser effect is distinct and very well-defined across all settings, and the tone remains very musical. Moreover, this pedal (at the end of the chain) works very well in combination with other pedals. Bottom line: This is a wonderful analog phaser, and a remarkable value. My personal favorite setting is speed at 11:00, depth at 2:00. This setting creates a rich, Pink Floyd-like sweep that is wonderful for leads, chords and rhythmic lines. Highly recommended phaser pedal. Grade: A

Route 66 (compressor into overdrive):
    Compressor side: I love the compressor in this pedal! It provides a balance to leads and chords, incredible sustain, and it evens out your volume and timbre regardless of picking dynamics. Richness and depth are added to either clean playing, or to anything played through the compressor and into a dirt box run after the compressor. The more I played through the compressor (this was my first time using this type of effect), the more I liked it. I expect to be running this a lot! Oh, and the compressor sounds fantastic when fed into other pedals. Great stuff. Favorite setting so far: tone control off, compression at 2:00, gain at 9:00.
    Compressor Grade: A.

Overdrive side: A nice rich, Bluesy, and dark overdrive pedal. Provides a nice crunch, particularly with the bass boost switch engaged. Seems to perform better when set for darker tones than brighter ones (This is just fine by me!). A fun pedal that deserves to be explored for it's tonal range. Has a very nice musicality, though it may lack some 'hair' (hard rockers might want to add a distortion or fuzz pedal after the Route 66). My favorite setting so far: bass boost on, drive at 1:00, tone at 9:00.
    Overdrive Grade: B.

Combined Compressor/Overdrive: This is where the Route 66 really shines! Everything about the compressor (especially the enhanced sustain!) compliments the overdrive section. This pedal works really well when both sides are engaged and set as indicated above. This provides a rich, dark, warm, swampy Electric Blues and Classic Rock tone.
    Combo Pedal Grade: A-

In closing, I expect to spend lots of time playing through these pedals, especially the Oil Can Phaser and the Compressor side of the Route 66. Good stuff!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Got a Y'ha DG multi EFX board quite a while ago, works great in an EFX loop out of the back of my AC 60.
    Pre mono out to instrument in, and a stereo return.. to the power-amp stage.. get some gain in the process..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've been a Visual Sound RT-66 junkie for about 9 years, when I play my Telecaster, it's always on!! Their Garagetone series is just great too.
    My "A" Rig pedalboard is; Budda BudWah>Boss TU-2>VS RT -66>VS Truetone>Axel Grease>VS CHopper Tremolo>VS Oil Can Phaser. My Acoustic chain is simply a Radial PZ-Pre w/ a TU-3. These all sit on a Pedaltrain pedalboard.
    My "B" rig pedalboard is; Budda BudWah> Boss Tu-3>VS RT-66>VS Truetone boost>Axel Grease. Mounted on a smaller Pedaltrain.
    Visual Sound makes great stuff!!

The ultimate!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pedals.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	85712
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Blog Entries

After being VERY impressed by the demo videos I've seen of EarthQuaker Devices (EQD) pedals, and after finding out they are built right here in Ohio, I decided I'd get one.

The one pedal I knew I wanted to roundout my effects chain was a Fuzz, so I narrowed it down to either the EQD Hoof, Dream Crusher, or Dirt Transmitter.

After viewing lots of video demos, and after several correspondences with some of the folks who recorded EQD demos and with Jamie from EQD, I decided to go with the Dirt Transmitter because of it extra gritty quality, and because of its adjustable bias (which can create all sorts of tones from dying sputter to big and heavy).

Well, I spent a couple hours on the Dirt Transmitter last night, and I am very impressed!

I absolutely Love this little beast...What a fantastic pedal! It provides pretty much all the Fuzz tones I'm looking for (everything from warm & creamy classic Iron Butterfly Fuzz to spitting, over-the-top bias-starved Fuzz). I'm really impressed by the range of different Fuzzes one can get by working the tone and dirt knobs. Awesome!

Also, I'm very glad I went with this EQD Fuzz pedal because of the bias knob! I didn't think I'd use the counter-clockwise 'strangled' Fuzz much, but the more I played it last night, the more I liked it (especially with chords).

Great stuff! Love, Love, Love this pedal!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

I don't know who thinks up the names for these pedals, but Dirt Transmitter has to be one of the best of all time!

I also love that the Rainbow Machine has a knob labeled "magic" - gotta me one of those!
    2015 Chevy Silverado

anyone using the line 6 pod 300 or 400 or 500 with a mandolin? be good to hear how you like it.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

looking for a preamp to use for my weber maverick 5 string and wondering about the line 6 hd series, another contender is the AMT ss series although I have tried neither. What I am looking for is a guitar amp sound but not a lot of distortion you know the glass thing!!
    combined with the ability to have that liquid sustian but not metal. Thanks for any feed back on these as I will probably have to buy without trying them.
    Craig

Blog Entries

Here's my current effects chain:

Name:	Pedals.JPG 
Views:	527 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	86340
    L to R: Visual Sound GarageTone Oil Can Phaser, AnalogMan modded Maxon SD-9, EarthQuaker Devices Dirt Transmitter Fuzz (My Go-To pedal!), Morley Power Wah (used mostly with the pedal set as a tone filter/enhancer). Oh, and the signal runs R to L.

And here's my current rig:

Name:	Loud-Room-3.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	86341
    Eastwood Warren Ellis tenor guitar --> effects chain --> Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 25th Anniversary Combo
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

This is what you need to complete the string, real tube-based Leslie emulation pedal from Hughes and Kettner (I've played thru one, really nice):

Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I got a digitech RP255 pedal for my electric violin and it's pretty great. It has a looper, expression pedal that controls volume, wah, talkbox simulator, etc. You can control just about any parameter with it. Even gain on a distortion effect or speed on tremolo. It's also really good for a recording interface. It almost gives too many things to play with and it sounds nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    This is what you need to complete the string, real tube-based Leslie emulation pedal from Hughes and Kettner (I've played thru one, really nice)
    Look Ma, I sound just like George Harrison!

That's a pretty cool effect. I like the fact that it speeds up and slows down like a real leslie. When I had my Hammond organ I used the leslie just like you would use vibrato on a guitar and speeding up and slowing down was the real fun of it.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    This is what you need to complete the string, real tube-based Leslie emulation pedal from Hughes and Kettner (I've played thru one, really nice):...snipped this embedded video
    Wow, that's pretty cool. I tend to be enough of a Luddite that I'm scared-away from things with too many switches, buttons, and knobs, but this actually seems pretty user friendly and intuitive.

My favorite setting from the video is that 'Led Zeppelin No Quarter' type effect right at the beginning. I'm sure I could sit and jam on that for hours.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing Tom.

BTW, I'm amazed how much better ALL my pedals sound through the Hughes & Kettner. This has really shown me how an investment in the end of the signal chain (the amp/speaker) can pay added dividends by enhancing everything before it.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

I'm playing around with a friend's Strymon TimeLine, with my Godin A8 through a Fishman Loudbox. It's pricey, but unique enough to be worth it.

For a few different reasons, this is the best pedal I've ever used. Some of the presets really do increase the mandolin's sustain without accentuating pick click the way compressors and overdrives made for guitars usually do. Other presets do things I've never even considered.

It also has a built in looper, with enough memory time to let me loop entire A or B parts of fiddle tunes. I had no idea how tricky it is to get the start and stop exactly on the beat. Practice makes perfect.

The best feature of the Strymon, in my opinion, is the pedal's own dedicated effects loop. In other words, I can loop any other pedal directly into the Strymon to modulate ONLY the current delay setting, without altering the dry tone. For one example, I set the Strymon to a repeating "swell" delay, then modulated that delay with a distortion pedal. I've been experimenting with fuzz and overdrive pedals with mandolins for years, and I hardly ever bother with them anymore because they amplify the attack so much. This particular Strymon configuration eliminates all modulation on the attack, but sustains like crazy. For me, that unique possibility justifies the price of admission.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Blog Entries

Well, I've finally done away with the loose chain of pedals and the 9V batteries, and have gotten a 'real-life' pedal board and an AC power supply. I'm using the Pedaltrain Mini and the Visual Sound 1 Spot. Seems efficient and nicely portable.

Effects chain:
    Snark Chromatic pedal tuner --> AnalogMan Maxon SD-9 --> Earthquaker Devices Dirt Transmitter -->
    Visual Sound GarageTone Oil Can Phaser --> ModTone Mini-Mod Delay

Name:	pedal-board-2012-10-27-01.JPG 
Views:	2077 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	93296 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pedal-board-2012-10-27-03.JPG 
Views:	1567 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	93297

Name:	pedal-board-2012-10-27-04.JPG 
Views:	378 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	93298 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pedal-board-2012-10-27-05.JPG 
Views:	346 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	93299

Name:	pedal-board-2012-10-27-06.JPG 
Views:	588 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	93300
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Okay, I'm not too bright - but how does the pedal board power the devices?
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandopete View Post
    Okay, I'm not too bright - but how does the pedal board power the devices?
    Hi Pete;
    One needs to get a 9V adapter power supply to go along with the board (though some of the higher-end Pedaltrain boards come with their own power supply). I'm using the Visual Sound 1 Spot power supply along with a 1 Spot 5 plug multi-plug daisy chain (both pictured below).

I am very impressed by the 1 Spot. It is small, very light, easy to permanently mount on the board with Velcro if desired, and it powers all my pedals very quietly. Highly recommended.

Name:	VSD-1SPOT.jpg 
Views:	1023 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	93942 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Visual-Sound-1-Spot-MC5-Multiplug-Cable-5.jpg 
Views:	1037 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	93941
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Thats pretty awesome. You bringing this get-up on Sunday? And is that pretty new white tenor in your hands yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Well, I've finally done away with the loose chain of pedals and the 9V batteries, and have gotten a 'real-life' pedal board and an AC power supply. I'm using the Pedaltrain Mini and the Visual Sound 1 Spot. Seems efficient and nicely portable.

Effects chain:
    Snark Chromatic pedal tuner --> AnalogMan Maxon SD-9 --> Earthquaker Devices Dirt Transmitter -->
    Visual Sound GarageTone Oil Can Phaser --> ModTone Mini-Mod Delay

Name:	pedal-board-2012-10-27-01.JPG 
Views:	2077 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	93296 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pedal-board-2012-10-27-03.JPG 
Views:	1567 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	93297

Name:	pedal-board-2012-10-27-04.JPG 
Views:	378 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	93298 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pedal-board-2012-10-27-05.JPG 
Views:	346 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	93299

Name:	pedal-board-2012-10-27-06.JPG 
Views:	588 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	93300

Blog Entries

Hi Eric; bringing my electric rig for sure (it's become my "Linus' blanket" ), but the Mojo is still in Max & Lauri's shop, so I'll just have Red Hoodoo (my Eastwood).
    Think Hippie Thoughts...