Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: By the Mark by Dailey and Vincent

Default By the Mark by Dailey and Vincent

Can anyone direct me to where I can get the manolin tabs for "By the Mark" as performed by Dailey and Vincent?

Default Re: By the Mark by Dailey and Vincent

I don't have the tab but recently worked it up. It is in the key of C and not to hard to work up.

kelvin

Registered User Chris Willingham's Avatar

their duo singing on this is simply incredible. The high part may be the highest I've ever heard a dude sing, while still sounding clean and great. I can't wait for their follow up album.

Last year at Fiddlefest in Roanoke they did a Vocal workshop and someone ask how they sang so high. Jamie said it was because they wore their under ware three sizes too small.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MandoFan-do View Post
    The high part may be the highest I've ever heard a dude sing, while still sounding clean and great.
    I dunno, don't countertenors before they hatch. (I dust off my Christmas CD by The King's Singers around this time every year...)
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

MandoFan-do

their duo singing on this is simply incredible. The high part may be the highest I've ever heard a dude sing, while still sounding clean and great...
    Well that was Darrin singing the high harmony part and Jamie can kick it up a few notches there. Listen how high he gets on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZV0...e=channel_page

GVD
    Last edited by GVD; Dec-30-2008 at 4:56pm. Reason: Link didn't work

Every time I hear this song, it sends chills up my spine. Yes, it's in the key of C. You might want to purchase the song or CD and give "Best Practice Slow Downer" a try. It's a free download. It will play the song slow (you chose how slow) all without changing the key. Then you could learn it that way, or jot down the tabs, and learn it that way. That's what I have done to songs I'm trying to learn. It's incredible..and the best part..it's free. Give it a whirl....
    "It's All About Eternity"

Registered User Tracy Ballinger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Walters View Post
    Every time I hear this song, it sends chills up my spine. Yes, it's in the key of C. You might want to purchase the song or CD and give "Best Practice Slow Downer" a try. It's a free download. It will play the song slow (you chose how slow) all without changing the key. Then you could learn it that way, or jot down the tabs, and learn it that way. That's what I have done to songs I'm trying to learn. It's incredible..and the best part..it's free. Give it a whirl....
    Thanks for the software tip, Jackie! I have been working on it this morning and almost have the intro worked out... I'm kinda stuck so will take a break and get back at it. A girl who plays guitar and I are going to try to get this down for Easter to do at church. If I can't get the mandolin solos, we'll just do the chords and sing it. It's still a beautiful song!

Here is the original version and writer. What's Ricky pickin' there?

make sure you turn it up, the volume is really low.

Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

One of my favorite songs--wish I could play it. I'm learning, just not there yet.

Is Mr. Skaggs using a capo? Looks like one beginning at 2:29, but it's hard to tell. I might just buy myself one.
    Scott

No capo for Mr. Skaggs, and you don't need one to play that song, either! It's just C, F & G... mostly just C & G with the F thrown in on the chorus. And if you watch Darrin Vincent play it, it appears that he's using 2 finger chords even.

sure looks like he is capoed at the 5th. pause the video around the 2:24-2:30 mark and take a close look.
    Jason

Looks like a capo to me! One of my favorite Gospel songs. I need to learn it

Oops, now I see it! It's such an unobtrusive little thing compared to a guitar capo that I missed it! So what key does the capo put it in??

Quote Originally Posted by tracy tucker View Post
    oops, now i see it! It's such an unobtrusive little thing compared to a guitar capo that i missed it! So what key does the capo put it in??
    If you play a G while capoed on the 5th fret it would be a C.

GVD

Quote Originally Posted by GVD View Post
    If you play a G while capoed on the 5th fret it would be a C.

GVD
    So what's the advantage of using a capo to make it in the key of C, if you can play in the key of C without it? I know zip about music theory!
    Last edited by Tracy Ballinger; Mar-23-2009 at 11:32am. Reason: spelling

I think that song begs for the two finger open chords. That is why the capo works well on that song and adds body and depth to it.

would that make it easier to play up an octave as well as playing the open 2 finger chords? no theory here either!
    Jason

Hey Tracy...if your nice I'll show you how to play that this weekend.
    Join me Thursdays from 10am - 12pm eastern as I host "The Bluegrass Beat" at www.worldwidebluegrass.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Smith View Post
    Hey Tracy...if your nice I'll show you how to play that this weekend.
    That would be great! And whaddya mean, "IF I'm nice..."?! I'm always nice! (Unless you ask my teenager - then you'll get a completely different story!)

Professional Novice Chris Travers's Avatar

|------3-5-5/8-8-10-8-3-5-3-----------------------------------------------3-----3---------------
    |-5-7-----------------------5/7-5-3---3-5-5/7---------7---7\5---5-3-----3-----3-----3---------3-
    |-----------------------------------5---------0-2-3/5---5-5\3-3-3-3-5-7-----5-----5---5-3-2-5---
    |-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "/"'s and "\"'s are slides. Also there's no timing so listen to the song to figure the timing out. Hope you like it!

Chris
    Spread the mandolin gospel!

Chris

My Blog: Mando-Learn

My Vimeo Page

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KMaynard View Post
    I think that song begs for the two finger open chords. That is why the capo works well on that song and adds body and depth to it.
    I agree. Open strings really sound great with this one.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by crazylotrfan View Post

|------3-5-5/8-8-10-8-3-5-3-----------------------------------------------3-----3---------------
    |-5-7-----------------------5/7-5-3---3-5-5/7---------7---7\5---5-3-----3-----3-----3---------3-
    |-----------------------------------5---------0-2-3/5---5-5\3-3-3-3-5-7-----5-----5---5-3-2-5---
    |-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "/"'s and "\"'s are slides. Also there's no timing so listen to the song to figure the timing out. Hope you like it!

Chris

Thanks Chris, I got as far as the section just before the open D note, and couldn't get past it. I'll keep re-running it both on the iPod and on my fretboard and see if I can't make the rest of it sound right!

Quote Originally Posted by crazylotrfan View Post

Chris
    I'm sorry but I'm new to all of this I love this song and would love to be able to play it. I've got two ?'s What part of the song is this and which line is which string.

Professional Novice Chris Travers's Avatar

It's the intro, and the lowest line is the G String, the next, the D, and so on.

Hope that helps.

Chris
    Spread the mandolin gospel!

Chris

My Blog: Mando-Learn

My Vimeo Page