Thread: Beginner's Mandolin

Question Beginner's Mandolin

Hello MandolinCafe,

I'm a newbie to this forum looking for some professional guidance. I'm a decade long guitar player looking for a new challenge; the mandolin. This is where I'm looking for the guidance, which brands/models should I look at for a beginners mandolin? One thing I really want out of the instrument is the ability to plug it in without needing it to get modified. I've looked at a few models already and am leaning towards a F style.

Please let me know and thank you for your help.

Default Re: Beginner's Mandolin

Welcome to the forum. There is a very wide spectrum here regarding what exactly is a beginners mandolin so you might consider indicating a price point. Then there will be a number of people who will tell you there is no way to get a beginners mandolin for anything less than twice the price point you indicated. Don't let it put you off. I think Ovations sound good plugged in with an appropriate accoustic amp or di box into the board. Alot of people do not care for Ovations though, for reasons I'm sure will be expressed. If you've decided you like F style Mandolins best then that is what you should get but as will be mentioned by many i'm sure, A styles are quite a bit cheaper at any level of quality . In other words you can get a better A for less money every time. Fender makes some reletively low priced accoustic /electric mandolins, I have not tried them. My personal preference leads me to say I don't like the sound of magnetic pickups on mandolin , either internal microphone or piezo p/u or a combination of those seems to sound more like an acoustic mandolin to me but that's just my taste. If you can do your own setup you will sve LOTS of money. Look for used , the classifieds here are great, ebay and craigslist have good deals too but as always buyer beware. Good luck with your search and keep us posted with what you find. Play lots of instruments before you buy.
    Jim Richmond

Blog Entries

Can you provide us with a budget? Many retailers will install a pickup on an instrument for you so you won't have to modify it yourself. There are many other good options in 4, 5, and 8 string electrics across a variety of price points (you'll sacrifice the unplugged sound there. The American made Ovation mandolin has gotten a good review but has an unorthodox look.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Yep, a budget would be very helpful in getting you pointed in the right direction. Lots of makers to choose from, and many of them have entry level instruments. But different makers start their entry levels at different price points.

Think also about how you will use your mandolin. If you're primarily an electric guitar player, you may want a solidbody electric mandolin. If you're primarily and acoustic player, then you'll want an acoustic with --as you said-- a pick up.

F style mandos are usually made without pickups pre-installed, but there are lots of pick up options. Acoustic mandolins with pre-installed pickups are usually not made in F style. Good examples of this latter category as --as previously mentioned-- Ovation, Fender, Godin.

Be open to non-traditional shapes and you will get more bang for the buck as well as something that might meet your musical needs more completely.

Daniel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cowcaster88 View Post
    One thing I really want out of the instrument is the ability to plug it in without needing it to get modified. I've looked at a few models already and am leaning towards a F style.
    I am not sure what you mean. If you mean pick up installed, there are several options.

If you mean no set up required (bridge and neck adjusted for action and intonation and pitch) I think most mandolins need some adjustment - and inexpensive beginner instruments tend to benefit most from a good set up.

In case it hasn't been said, let me be the first - you get more mandolin for your money buying an A style. There is a premium for that scroll, which adds nothing to sound or playability (but darn they look cool).

Oh, its been said. Well I agree.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I haven't really decided on a price point. When I started to think about purchasing one I just wanted something very entry like $200-250 but after going shopping yesterday and seeing the quality for that price alot of them just looked like toys. I'm really considering not going any higher than $500 (with accessories), meaning this will be my only mandolin.

I'm going to be using this mostly as a acoustic/electric mandolin. I"m more or less a rhythm guitar player and love my acoustic guitar and will be using this similar. Also I will be using the mandolin in church worship thus plugging into a D/I box so I don't think I want one with a pickup but instead with an internal microphone or Piezo.

Blog Entries

Well CC88,
    You have given yourself a tall order. You might want to double your budget again and be happy if you can get in under $1000.00.

Good luck!
    Daniel

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=cowcaster88;635974] When I started to think about purchasing one I just wanted something very entry like $200-250 but after going shopping yesterday and seeing the quality for that price alot of them just looked like toys. QUOTE]

It is a general truism that the quality you want in a mandolin will cost about twice as much as similar quality in a guitar.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I think it's pretty easy to find a decent sounding and playable mandolin for $500. At that price point, the used market is probably the best option. Your desire to plug in without mods leads me to something like a Godin A8. I just picked up a slightly used A8 for $420. New they range from $650-750 (street price) or so depending on finish.

The Godin is not my only mandolin, but if I were starting out and wanting a good amplified acoustic, I would be very satisfied with the Godin. It's a keeper.

Go hunt for an old Strad-o-lin or a Kay. For an acoustic/electric for under $250 a Fender FM-52e is hard to beat.

Ovation makes a very nice, fairly inexpensive acoustic/electric mando. It looks like a small Ovation guitar. Michael Kelley also makes a more conventional A-style looking acoustic/electric. Both are about half a millennium in price.
    raulb

c. '37 Dobro mandolin
    '53 Martin Style A
    '78 Ibanez 524 F-style
    '98 Graham McDonald guitar body bouzouki
    '08 Trinity College TM-275 Mandola

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are. --Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"

It is possible to find a decent quality mandolin for under $200 (I found a fabulous 70's vintage japanese made A for that), but it is unlikely you'll ever find an F model. Even the just ok Epiphone MM-50 is $500. You will have to get up to $800 or more for a used F made in China such as Eastman or J Bovier or Kentucky.

Here's what you do...get a used A style such as a Kentucky 160 or 505 and learn to play with that. You will most likely be able to sell it for what you paid when you save enough money for good quality F model. Expect to pay over $1200 for that.

Just some thoughts. In the end, I paid over 3K for a Weber. It was more than worth it.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I started with a new Kentucky 150s - all solid mandolin. Got it from the mandolin Hut and it included, a case, electronic tuner, straps, book for about $250 shipped. It has served me well as a starter instrument to see how well I liked and adapted to mandolin playing.

I just bought an almost new KM-1000 in the classified here as a reward for lost of practicing over the last several month.

http://themandolinhut.com/kentucky_mandolin_km_150.htm

Terry
    Terry
    Arkansas Picker
    "Enjoying the Challenge"
    Crystal Forest Mandolins web site
    Facebook page

So it sounds like a decent F shape is out of my price range. But how does everyone really feel about the Ovation and Godin shapes? Probably more of a guitar feel for a true guitarist.

Blog Entries

You can read Ted's review of the Ovatio MM68 at Jazzmando.com. I've seen the imported Ovations at Guitar Centers a few years ago. Most of the reviewers say the American made one (~$1000-1200) is the far better of the two. However this is more than 2x the price of the OVATION MCS148 at about $420ish. Harmony Central has many reviews of it here. I've never played one. I believe one of our members has some youtube videos of her Ovation here. IIRC her's is the less expensive model.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Epiphone has a nice A-body MM-30 acoustic-electric model.
    Can be had for around 200.