Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1276

Thread: Northfield mandolins

Default Re: Northfield mandolins

When I had a TG, I wrapped each prong with small strips of micro-fiber that I had cut out and glued them on to these prongs. This eliminated any marks on the instrument where these prongs made contact on my mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I know that the original TGs have black rubber on the prongs but Tony sent me a set of these white rubber (or plastic) that, I believe, will not affect the finish. I still might not leave it on the mandolin in the case but I would think using it would be fine.
    Tony sent me a new set too and when I changed them out, I found no marks from the old black ones. BTW, the TG had been on the mando for 4 years continuously. I'm wondering if they may not leave marks when taking it off or putting it on. Nevertheless, I think I'll leave a TG off the new Duff because it will be a really brew finish (just got pics this morning in the early stages of French polishing) and I'll let it cure a while.

The black rubber thingies actually did make slight marks on my Brentrup, so I don't leave it on any more even tho I put the replacements on. I wonder if it depends on how the mandolin was finished.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

There should be no problem with a regular F5-S (lacquer). One thing to note, a 'normal' F5 TG will not fit a 'Big Mon' anyway - you need a custom fit version. I'd be kind of wary with a french polish finish, regardless of make. Some of the tougher 'yacht' type varnishes seem to hold up fine, though. I think there would be quite a risk taking a TG on and off continually, they are quite a tight fit.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I love my Northfield F5-S. It has a pretty developed voice, particularly for a new instrument. It lacks a little at the higher end of its range, but has spectacular mid and bottom. It was the bargain of the century as far as I'm concerned. The finish isn't great, sunken in some spots on the back of the headstock and one on the side, but they're small and have nothing to do with the tone anyway.

The only change I've made is to Grover tuners, and that only because I like the greater precision inherent in the lower gearing of the tuning machines. There was nothing wrong with it out of the box.

My only complaint is with the case, which although, covered in flocked material, has no padding underneath. It's a hard surface and I'm frequently surprised when I put the mando away. I was afraid I was going to damage it so now it lives in a different case.

Is that at all helpful?
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
    What's the name of the tunes? Heard them and play a couple but some that I don't know the name of.
    Sounds like Methodist Preacher is the first tune.

Quote Originally Posted by rskibo View Post
    Sounds like Methodist Preacher is the first tune.
    Right and I heard St. Anne's Reel in there too. I didn't listen all the was through, were there more?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Right and I heard St. Anne's Reel in there too. I didn't listen all the was through, were there more?
    Yea Methodist Preacher was the one they played at the very beginning then when they both started playing was all the other tunes that was listed in the other post.

These mandolins sound amazing. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Big Mon.

10. The following members say thank you to rskibo for this post:

Blog Entries

The Big Mon is a superb mandolin in its own right. A bit different from everything else. I do agree that the supplied case is very poor, though. Be better off with a Travelite or basic TLK or similar. I imagine they probably reckon everyone will switch to something else anyway. Can't imagine doing much travelling with the OEM case...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield_incase1.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	113709 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield_back.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	113710

The mandolin itself is (as they like to say here), a "hoss" and "plays like butter"

I would say the finish is pretty good. It has stood up well. We are in a very dry climate, though, which is fairly friendly to French polish vs. damp environments. Had it just over a year, and gigged with it quite a bit.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

12. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

I have noticed that the finish seems to have stabilized recently and really still looks great! I would have to research myself to see when I actually took possession but I don't believe its been a year yet. Iknow it came in the spring. I was playing today and there are times when this mandolin just jumps out and bites me,this has been one of those days. It seems like it has really opened up some more ,it may go for days sounding great then all the sudden it just wows me!
    2013 Northfield Big Mon #223
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

Dreaming of a Pomeroy F5 Blonde w Engelmann ?

I picked up my Northfield F5S. It's been sitting at the shop waiting for the snow to stop at least a few hours for me to get down there. Just in time for Spring Break and the March Mandolin Festival.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I picked up my Northfield F5S. It's been sitting at the shop waiting for the snow to stop at least a few hours for me to get down there. Just in time for Spring Break and the March Mandolin Festival.
    Photos..we need photos, Mary!

nothing fancy, pixie. Just your standard-looking F5s. It's all in the sound, and I picked from two (they'd gotten a second one a few days earlier).
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

How does that one compare to your Brentrups?
    John A. Karsemeyer

Totally different animal. Totally.

I've been considering a new Northfield and really need to get out and try a couple. Curious how you compare it to your Silverangel. I have two Silverangel's and love their tone. Would appreciate your honest comparison?

almeriastrings, I've been considering a new Northfield and really need to get out and try a couple. Curious how you compare it to your Silverangel. I have two Silverangel's and love their tone. Would appreciate your honest comparison?

Blog Entries

PM'd you. I am going to record a comparison track over the next few days (just finished rewiring the studio). They are quite different from the Silverangels. Less low end, for one thing.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

22. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

jamann 

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    PM'd you. I am going to record a comparison track over the next few days (just finished rewiring the studio). They are quite different from the Silverangels. Less low end, for one thing.
    See now, my Northfield has a huge bottom end. Not so of the others I have played, and very different than the other the shop had. Mine is also a different looking burst.

I have never played a Northfield that has the low end of a Silverangel. I have owned both, and played many from each maker. Not taking anything away from Northfield here or the low end they have, they just don't go for as bass heavy of a sound as Ken goes for on the Silverangels. The Northfield puts more emphasis in the Loar-mid-range camp. Again, not a bad thing, just different than SA. If I were playing solo mandolin, I would go for the SA. Huge sound with big-big bottom... It is almost like playing a guitar. In a context where you need a mandolin to cut, low end may not be what your after. You may need more mids and highs, and the Northfield may be the ticket. Either are great products, but we're talking apples and oranges... And another thing, Ken's design on the SA of late has a higher arch than even the Big Mon, and thus an even larger air chamber. Plus Ken is a master of and believer in X bracing, where Northfields are tone bars. This also makes a difference. I love both products dearly! I can say though that after playing my SA for a while and picking up another mandolin, it is like going from a dreadnaught to a parlor guitar. I am still hopeful that 1 day Northfield will offer cedar and/ or redwood options. If I ever get another I'll probably go with an engelmann top if that and red spruce are all that's on the table.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shawnbrock For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

+1 to everything Shawn says.

It is not that the Northfields are exactly light on low end, they're not - in fact, they have more going on there than many - but the Silverangels are unique in my experience in that area. I have an X-braced distressed model, and it has more low end than anything else I have ever heard. A great solo instrument. Excellent on altered tunings too. Very resonant. Very much their own thing and totally different from the 'Loar' sound.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Well, I broke down and joined the ranks. I received my "S" about a week ago. Enjoying it immensely!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield back 15Apr14.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	118394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield in case 15Apr14.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	118395

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galileo For This Useful Post:

Hi Everyone,
    Last year we got the chance to work with a seriously talented young player named Zeb Snyder. Known more for his guitar playing on albums like Adam Steffey's "New Primitive", this young man seems to be pretty gifted on any instrument he picks up. We built him a custom Master Model F5 "Big Mon" and hand delivered it to him at IBMA in Raleigh last September. Since then we have been working on an interview and some videos to share that experience with you all.

Enjoy: http://www.northfieldinstruments.com...eet-zeb-snyder

All the best,
    Adrian

31. The following members say thank you to Northfield mando for this post:

Adrian, Will the dealers be offering the A models?