Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no more monel strings?

man i feel kinda sick on my stomach. ive been playing the monel sam bush strings for years and have tried others, but always come back to these. i get them by the dozen from first quality music. not any more. just tried to and couldn't find them on their site. then i rememberd a thread a while back about no gibson instruments on line any more, but please not the strings too. I ded find them at Janet Davis and i'm sure they are nic folks, but i been dealin with Bill Sulivan for along time, and call me stuborn but i think i'll change string brand before i'll change stores.Not meanning to bash Gibson in any way. I have a o1 Bush that is the bomb, and evey body ive come in contact with there are 1st class. I'll be in nashville in 2 weeks. guess i'll have to go to the showcase and load up on strings. Don
    I been through the mountians on a mule with no name.

Hey Bats...The Bushs are in the latest FQMS catalog # #Sam Bush Strings #"Monel" Wound #Item # GSBS # #Im sure they still have them...I bought a dozen sets at Christmas.

I get them at juststrings.com

I hear this "no more Monels" rumor every few months, but I've always been able to find them.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

....there are actually no more Gibson Monel Wounds....they have been repackaged and remarketed as Gibson "Sam Bush" Monel Wounds...I think that may be where the confusion and rumors generate from.

Janet Davis Music carries the Bushies as well...

i'm sitting here with my first pair of something other than the sam bush monel strings, and can't wait to get my sam bush's back on....
    Alan

Ive been using them since 1985....the best string out there in my opinion..Ive tried others but have always come back to the Monels.

Its funny, those of us that like these often can't stand other strings, especially the overly bright, zingy phosphor bronze type. Its always welcome to get back to Monels.

I've tried lots of other steel strings, but none sound like these. Anyone else find any other brands that have the same Monel sound?
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

Going to the originl post it seems like some sites have taken Gibson strings off the online ordering option. Could it be the same policy as the instruments?
    Personally I never liked the .14 A string so I've been using silk and steel strings from GHS but I've thought of trying the Bush strings on my new A9
    John F

Bush strings are readily available. Just get ahold of your favorite string dealer and they will be happy to sell them to you. They are a great string. We are working with them to get another guage of monel's for those of us who don't like the 14 A's. A new string that is coated like EXP or Elixer should be available soon also. I will let you know what I think when I try them.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Thanks for the info Joe

Hey Joe, a number of us would like a heavy gauge Monel as an option. The gauge is the only thing I don't like, but love the sound so much I go for the current gauge.

How about .045 .029 .017 .0125? Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with ....
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

My goodness Pete! You must have some strong hands! It would be hard for a lot of mandolins to handle the tension of those guages. On the right mandolin they could rip though!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

If you go into the FQMS website under mandolin strings Gibson is not one of the available brands listed. I think that is probably the source of the confusion. I tend to do the majority of my string shopping at odd hours (i.e. after my kids are in bed) so calling isn't much of an option. Consequently, though I've long been a fan of Gibson Monroe strings (my mandolin and monels don't seem to sound as good to me) I've switched over to D'Addario J75s.

Scotti, I remember a thread a while back where you were trying the D'Addario JS74s, how did those do?

Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

Hi Joe,

In the 80's when I practiced a lot of hours daily, I found it easier on my hands to use very heavy gauge strings and keep the action super low. #I found the heavier strings didn't vibrate quite as wide and I could lower the action that much more, thus using less left hand pressure. #If I play a bit every day, I can keep the touch required for that. #I used to order .049 #.031 #.018 #.0125. #As I had a Saga tailpiece on my Steve Anderson mando, I could put ball end strings on, therefore could get what gauge I wanted. #Surprisingly, it did not damage the mando in any way, that mando still sounds very good (although I currently play a Gilchrist and a '24 A2).

Please consider a heavier gauge of Monel, especially on the G and D, maybe not as heavy as I'd like #
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

Hi Greg....I liked the JS74's....like I mentioned back then....they were rough feeling but after awhile they smoothed out....they lasted for a long time....Ive still got a set around here somewhere....but I backslid back to the Bushs...well I wouldnt call it backslid....Ive just grown used to them since 1985...so as long as they make them thats what I will use.

I suggested they use an 11, 16, 26,41. I don't know for sure what they are going to do, but that was my suggestion. I will let you know as I learn more. We will likely do the testing here. Have a Great Day!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (petimar @ Feb. 22 2005, 11:52)
    I used to order .049 #.031 #.018 #.0125.
    Wow, Pete. You towing cars or playing mando?

Makes me feel like a wimp, prefering a 10-36 gg set...
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Isn't this how we lost that first Mars rover? Shouldn't we consider indentifying the unit of measure along with all these numbers?

"I suggested they use an 11, 16, 26,41"

heck yeah big joe. my only issue with the bush strings is that they are a little light for my taste (but i've easily overcome that in the last two years of using them exclusively). if/when you come out with a heavier gauge please let us cafe'ers know.

jd
    Proud owner of:

Bill Davis F5 #10502
    Martin 000-M

In my ignorancI must ask, What does "Monel" mean?
    All for One and One for All for One

Quoted from another Cafe poster:
    "Monel is an alloy metal. #It is naturally occuring and mined in NY state. #But most often it's made artificially by mixing together 66% nickel, 30% copper, 2% iron, and some other things. #It's very resistant to corrosion, even more so than 304 or 316 stainless steel. "
    Regarding FQMS, if you enter the proper catalog number on their website, the Bush's will pop up......
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

So, how does the tone compare w/Phos. Bronze? Pete mentions bright and zingy. Are the monels darker? How would they compare, say, to GHS Silk & Steels?

Thanks.
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...

monels seem brighter to me than phosphor bronze..but have a more woodier tone from the get go...i love them..

as an aside...monel is an alloy...not sure about the naturally occuring part....i think that its a man made metal...

it's not like bricks...which are mined in siberia.

WBL