Thread: fingering

Default fingering

I am doing a run starting on the fifth fret, third string.
    If it were on the 1st fret, the run would be 3rd string: 1st fret, 3rd, 6th
    2nd string: 1st fret, 3rd, 6th
    1st string, 1st fret, 2nd, 1st
    and then 1st string: 2nd fret, 1st fret, 2nd string: 6th fret (riffing on the 1, 2, 6)etc.
    My question is should I use my third finger or pinky for the 6th fret? I always tend to cover 5 and 6 frets with my third finger and use my little finger for the seventh. Is there a rule for this and does the rule change the higher up the fretboard you go? I can do both ways fairly comfortably but I have the impression it would be better to use the third finger whenever possible as it is stronger than the pinky? Any thoughts please?

Default Re: fingering

Your post is almost a mirror question that Mike Marshall fielded in one of his excellent columns in the old Grisman pamphlet MWN. I'll defer to Mike's answer: learn both.

(psstt...I would do pinky). Alan Bibey does similar-type licks, his pinky is in constant play.

If I follow your description, notes ascending are

G A C D E G A Bb

A sort of C7 run, so you're in the key of F (or "C mixolydian"). Use standard F scale fingering: 2nd finger on both 6th fret (Bb) and 7th (E and A), 4th finger at tenth fret (G and C). Hope this helps.

So the rule is to learn the scales.

Thanks for your answers. Actually the run is in G, Bruce. It runs up to the C chord (starting on G on 3rd string) then does Bb, A (on first string), G (on 2nd string), a few times before going back to the G. It's supposed to be a 12 bar.

The basic fingering rule for major scales and all their modes is next finger gets the next note in the scale, unless you are playing an open string. If there are accidentals (notes outside the key) there are no "correct" ways to finger them. Depends on what other notes one plays.

Experiment and find what works best for you.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Thanks, Pete, puts my mind at rest.