Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The winner of the Collings MT2 Giveaway

Default Re: The winner of the Collings MT2 Giveaway

Maybe next time they should just pick by random number again. At least its without controversy. Besides, I'd never have a chance of winning any contest that is dependent on a clever response !

My congratulations to all winners and thanks to all sponsors !
    Last edited by Astro; Sep-26-2013 at 4:04pm.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

What a hoot!.......loved Todd's entry and the runner-ups. Thanks to the Mandolin Cafe along with the folks at Collings Mandolins, D'Addario Strings and Planet Waves.

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

Yall are gonna keep up the bickering until Scott decides these contests are too much hassle! I know kids that are better sports.

Pete,
    I agree there seems to be a lot of sore losers. Do they have no sense of humor and if you find the names offensive, perhaps this is not the site for you. I personally would like to thank Scott, Collings, D'Addario Strings and Planet Waves for making this contest possible. My entry was 'Texas Angel" and quite frankly I never thought I had a chance but I figured what the heck I had nothing to use. Todd enjoy your new instrument and congratulations.

I agree. This is all in good fun. With 2000+ entries I wasn't expecting to win, and I like the new name. I hope to purchase my own Lucy at some point. Isn't that the whole idea, to drum up excitement about the new Collings Mando and the new Bach Sonatas CD, not about who won the contest. Congratulations Todd, I hope you enjoy your new mandolin.

I have no problem with the winning entry. It is clever and perfectly rather nice -- but, not great. Congratulations to the winner and certainly enjoy your awesome mandolin for many years to come!

There are two runners-up that are truly distasteful and awkward. Clever: yes. In a 10th grade, bathroom humor sort of way. Funny: yes. If sitting around belting back a few brews at the local pub. In fact these names and their juvenile descriptions are crude and vulgar. I'm sorry I wasted my time. And, NO this is NOT sour grapes for not winning. I didn't expect to win. I did expect to some awesome entries -- and these are not even in the ball park. Sorry, had to say it.
    Last edited by Hobo; Sep-26-2013 at 5:46pm. Reason: jaycat, syntax watchdog caught an error.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hobo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Pete,
    I agree there seems to be a lot of sore losers. Do they have no sense of humor and if you find the names offensive, perhaps this is not the site for you. I personally would like to thank Scott, Collings, D'Addario Strings and Planet Waves for making this contest possible. My entry was 'Texas Angel" and quite frankly I never thought I had a chance but I figured what the heck I had nothing to use. Todd enjoy your new instrument and congratulations.
    Sorry, I don't think "Lick My Love Pump" used in a description. Or, "PluckN A" as a suggested name are appropriate, let alone winners. It is has nothing to do with a sense of humor. Suggesting that those who find names like these offensive are on the wrong site is rather stupid, and non-inclusive of you.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hobo For This Useful Post:

And BTW, it's "The Runners-Up," not "The Runner-Ups." :-)
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

edit

Hobo, I think you're not alone at all in your reaction. I've been hesitant to critique too much, as I don't want to be labeled a "sore loser", which I'm not, but I will say that when my husband asked me about the winning entries, I was ashamed to read them out loud, and instead just let him read them himself. His response to a certain few of them was a visible cringe, followed by a bewildered "huh?" It will be interesting to see of those runners-up will ever publicly admit they submitted them.

I have parents and family, who of course were rooting me on, and when I see them on Skype this weekend and they ask about the contest results, I will be even more embarrassed to let them know what all of them were, and may have to fib just a little. (With the most notable exception of the top winner "Lucy", which also happens to be the name of my wonderful stepmother - and I know she will get a huge kick out of that, as well as get on my case bigtime for not submitting it myself! LOL)

I think the other losers' thread does have some awesome entries in it, BTW...

bratsche
    Last edited by bratsche; Sep-26-2013 at 8:35pm.
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bratsche For This Useful Post:

Congrats Todd. Lots of good support in this thread. Also lots of people with entitlement issues. Don't enter free contests if you can't handle the outcomes. If you are offended don't but their products.

Registered User Matt Livingston's Avatar

Seems to me, if your gonna criticize the winning entries, you have to at least out your own entry out there. If you think yours is better, lets see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Livingston View Post
    Seems to me, if your gonna criticize the winning entries, you have to at least out your own entry out there. If you think yours is better, lets see it.
    That is not the point, and I find myself in agreement. Personally, I did not think I would win, but I would hope the winning results were good. But the humor was crude and not well thought out, nor clever. The results in the "losing' thread certainly should have been higher up.

And the person who suggested we were on the wrong site, may I remind you that this site is family friendly. And regardless, having class should be a standard everywhere. While it was nice for those involved to make a contest like this, the winning results were distasteful, and not very clever.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jordan Mong For This Useful Post:

Being offended by foul tasteless language does not mean you are a sore loser. The person ultimately responsible for giving the green light to the controversial entry is the one who dropped the ball IMO. I would have never of said 'yea thats a winner' if it was my decision no matter how much I thought it was funny or whatever. What perplexes me is how Collings, D addario, planet waves didnt say 'wait a minute, no way is something remotely offensive going to be attached to our name' and nix it. Bad move for all those involved and I cant see how anyone can defend it. Sometimes you just have to admit you screwed up and take a big ol bite of crow. Say ahhhhh.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shortymack For This Useful Post:

I guess people should do better background checks of the judges before they enter contests with free multi-thousand dollar items if they are going to complain when they realize their taste/values are different.

Sigh. This is not about free multi-thousand dollar items. "Nigel", is that you?

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bratsche For This Useful Post:

Oh, guess I am in the wrong thread... nevermind, it is titled the winner of the Collings MT2 Giveaway. Sorry the contest didn't meet your moral standards. Boycott next time?

Quote Originally Posted by JWalterWeatherman View Post
    Oh, guess I am in the wrong thread... nevermind, it is titled the winner of the Collings MT2 Giveaway. Sorry the contest didn't meet your moral standards. Boycott next time?
    J. Walter Weatherman?!

*Fake Arm Rips Off*

And that's why you always keep your moral standards low.

--Tom

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

There is one guy responsible for the reputation of this site and I think he does a pretty good job policing it, he's even ripped me a time or two for crossing the line, so if he allows something, its his call.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete Counter For This Useful Post:

I am hesitant to respond to this thread again after being the second person who expressed disappointment with the choice of the judges. Again, let me say "disappointment"... and I think I can speak for the many people who have publicly and the many who have privately told me the same. We are not sore losers, simply disappointed that names on par with "Got Mandolin?" or a good fart joke won. While many of you say "I never thought I'd win" there were many of us who thought we might. Even though it was "free" and didn't "cost us anything", I can say with all honesty that I put a few hours of time, thought and research into a good name.

I, nor probably anyone here, begrudges the winner or the judges, but certainly as participants have the right in a forum to not only congratulate the winners but to express our feelings about something we put time and effort into, as well as waiting patiently for the decision for some time.

One of my other prized possessions besides my mandolins is a 1974 Pontiac Trans Am Super Duty 455. It is one of 731 ever made. It is in pristine condition with only 86,000 miles. I entered it in a big car show in the "Muscle Car" category. After two days at the show, the winner of my category was a 2008 Mustang. This is a fuel-injected car and by anyone's definition NOT a muscle car which is normally agreed upon as only a vehicle with a carburetor. Was I disappointed? Yes. Did I question the judge's decision? Yes. Did I get over it? Yes, as we all on here will.

We all love mandolins and this site is a wonderful way for us all to connect. Perhaps this contest, as well intentioned and generous as it was, should have simply been a drawing. No one has said the winners don't deserve their prizes nor that they should be rescinded. We are just saying "wow, didn't see that coming." For the record, my name was "Taliesin" which is the name of a legendary bard from King Arthur's court whose music and poetry skills were discovered at the age of 13. The same age Chris Thile released his first album. It is also the name of Frank Lloyd Wright's facility, known for outstanding and timeless designs. It also means "Radiant Brow" which I compared to the flame finish of the instrument and Chris' unique forehead!

I congratulate all winners and thank the suppliers for their generosity as well as the judges for taking the time to make a decision. Please allow people to speak their mind and let's not forget why we are all here.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 3rdegree For This Useful Post:

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

With all due respects to those folks who are claiming sour grapes - there has been and there continues to be a great amount of appreciation displayed by Cafe-users with regards to this contest. All those who have hosted this contest and provided the prizes have, mostly, gained good exposure for their companies and products.

Where some may now see sour-grapes some others may see as feedback - and what company does not love feedback.

Personally speaking, I see feedback, if done properly, as showing respect from the sender to the recipient - it offers insight and allows for the opportunity to adapt.

No one here is talking of boycotts or actions against the hosts - they are simply voicing their reactions... and it is up to the hosts to take that on board as they will.

Perhaps the good folks at Collings et al. may have learned that the marketplace for quality acoustic mandolin is not quite the same as one for a a flying-v electric guitar? Perhaps this can help them to market their product?

As for keeping schtum simply so as not to rock the gravy boat of possible future competitions?

To think that this can only result from extreme cynicism and, again, a lack of respect to the those that cultivate the Cafe.

It might be seen as sour grapes - but i hope not - feedback is healthy and good - it allows for better communication, better relation and better understanding.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M.Marmot For This Useful Post: