Thread: NMD Kasuga M-50 arrives

Default NMD Kasuga M-50 arrives

This arrived today, and there are some pleasant surprises.
    The finish is better than I hoped for, and the OHSC is very sturdy. The headstock inlays are MOP and the rosewood fretboard had white dots, possibly shell. The bridge appears to be ebony and is compensated.
    These were made from 1974 to around 1980 I think. First listed in the 1974 Catalogue.

I am still fairly new to mandolins and do not have many to compare with but the first impression is that there is plenty of volume and that it leans towards the trebly side, at least in comparison with my Paris Swing Oval hole. It is not harsh though, somewhat sweeter than the Paris Swing though not as full bodied, if that makes any sense. I will put some J74s on them both to get a better comparison as this one has what I think are older nickel strings. It had belonged to the seller's father and has not seen much use so I have no idea how old the strings are.

The top is spruce and the back is maple with some nice figuring. The neck has a pronounced V profile and it is really easy to play. There were some cloudy areas of the finish on the top near the bridge which polished out easily with some Virtuoso Polish. This fact plus some evidence of mild surface checking on the top lead me to believe this might have a nitro finish. I posted links to the catalogue pages here a few days ago but my Japanese is not as good as it used to be so maybe someone can clarify this detail.

I will put a K&K in either this one or the Paris Swing for live work but as yet I am undecided.
    sapiens populus eo per camelus
    http://www.allsingtogether.com/

Default Re: NMD Kasuga M-50 arrives

I have an older Kasuga guitar that is a take off of a Martin D-18 and it is a great playing and sounding guitar, I have had many guitar players come to my house and play it and they then put their Martins back in the cases...I did shave the tone bars much like the Herringbone Martins and it did make a difference, it also has an adjustable bridge saddle on it and an adjustable truss rod which makes a set up very easy...I have never had an issue with the neck bowing or the neck pulling loose....

I believe in the 70`s they were made in Japan....Never heard or played a Kasuga mandolin but if they are as good as my guitar you have a nice instrument...

Thanks
    After playing it for a couple of hours i decided to restring it and clean it up completely. I also changed my mind about string choices and put a set of FW74s flatwounds on instead of J74s, hopefully to highlight its naturally sweet qualities and now it sounds perfectly joyful. I am really happy with this one. I did discover when I took the strings off that the bridge had been died black and is more likely rosewood than ebony.
    sapiens populus eo per camelus
    http://www.allsingtogether.com/

I have a M50 Kasuga too, and I'm very happy with her.
    She's sounding far more better than the Fender that I have tried !
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."