Thread: New JBovier A4

Default New JBovier A4

I recently ordered a JBovier A4 from Kyle Dunn at the Mando Shop. It arrived this afternoon. I'm very pleased with the fit, finish, and sound. Kyle is a Luthier and he sets up each instrument before he ships it out. It plays effortlesly. I recommend you check out his web site or give him a call if you are in the market for a new instrument. He is very customer oriented.

I had thought about getting an old Gibson because I had played ones belong to others folks that I really liked. Just about every one I every saw for sale, though, seemed to have intination issues or were more than I wanted to pay. This JBovier fills my desire for a traditional looking and sounding instrument.

The sound is rich, full, and loud. I don't know if it would be a good Bluegrass mandolin but it might. What it produces is that old time sound. It sounds very similar to the mandolin Ry Cooder is playing on "Going to Brownsville" that is posted on You Tube. That is the sound/tone I was looking for and the JBovier delivers it. (Check out the Ry Cooder video if you haven't seen it.)
    Last edited by Peloncillo Jack; Nov-25-2009 at 7:53pm. Reason: left out a work

Default Re: New JBovier A4

Congratulations on your new mandolin, post some photos for us if you get a chance!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Congratulations! I had the same decision to make recently and went the other way, but it is a close call. Enjoy the new mando and play the heck out of it!
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Blog Entries

I would also like to see a photo of one of those and Congratulations on your new mandolin.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Here's one from their website. Looks pretty nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbovierhdrmainc.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	47865  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Does it have an elevated fretboard like an A5? Kinda looks like it from the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Peloncillo Jack View Post
    I recently ordered a JBovier A4 from Kyle Dunn at the Mando Shop. It arrived this afternoon. I'm very pleased with the fit, finish, and sound. Kyle is a Luthier and he sets up each instrument before he ships it out. It plays effortlesly. I recommend you check out his web site or give him a call if you are in the market for a new instrument. He is very customer oriented.

I had thought about getting an old Gibson because I had played ones belong to others folks that I really liked. Just about every one I every saw for sale, though, seemed to have intination issues or were more than I wanted to pay. This JBovier fills my desire for a traditional looking and sounding instrument.

The sound is rich, full, and loud. I don't know if it would be a good Bluegrass mandolin but it might. What it produces is that old time sound. It sounds very similar to the mandolin Ry Cooder is playing on "Going to Brownsville" that is posted on You Tube. That is the sound/tone I was looking for and the JBovier delivers it. (Check out the Ry Cooder video if you haven't seen it.)
    You can say that again in regards to Kyle being VERY customer oriented !! I can't say enough great things about Kyle and his personal service! I am waiting now for an Eastman 915 that he is refretting! Super person and great prices!

Congratulations Jack, What a great way to celebrate thanksgiving.

I tried to up load photos but it didn't work.

Don, yes, it has an elevated fretboard.
    Last edited by Peloncillo Jack; Nov-28-2009 at 3:35pm. Reason: Photos failed to appear.

Blog Entries

Bumping this old thread.

I'm curious to see if anyone has recent experience with (or opinions of) the JBovier A4 mandolins.

The JBovier F-styles seems to get great reviews here, and they sound pretty impressive in clips.

Also, I am more impressed by my JBovier electric every time I pick it up. Great e-mando & incredible value! (I can't imagine ever needing or wanting to upgrade!). Moreover, Jeff Cowherd seems to be a very involved, responsive, and customer-oriented point person for the brand.

So, anyone have opinions on this 'mid-tier' oval hole mandolin?
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Bumping this old thread.

I'm curious to see if anyone has recent experience with (or opinions of) the JBovier A4 mandolins.

The JBovier F-styles seems to get great reviews here, and they sound pretty impressive in clips.

Also, I am more impressed by my JBovier electric every time I pick it up. Great e-mando & incredible value! (I can't imagine ever needing or wanting to upgrade!). Moreover, Jeff Cowherd seems to be a very involved, responsive, and customer-oriented point person for the brand.

So, anyone have opinions on this 'mid-tier' oval hole mandolin?
    I own and love my J. Bovier A-4. A great sounding oval hole was just what I was looking for after years of playing only out of F holes. Great for irish, bluegrass, jazz, classical you name it. Here is a video, so anyone wanting to see and hear one before they buy can get an idea.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRcohan For This Useful Post: