Thread: Process of my Collings MT2-O

Default Process of my Collings MT2-O

I had been looking for a Colling MT2-O with birdseye maple and Italian Spruce with amber coloring. When I finally saw one at The Music Emporium, I jumped on the chance, buying it the next morning with out a sound test or anything. I trusted the great things you said about the Italian spruce and birdseye maple here at the Cafe. The first day I got it I was amazed at how different and more complex it sounded than the MT-O that I sold. I was really pleased. A few days later I picked it up and could not get a good not on it and even had trouble getting it in tune. I got really frustrated and put it down for a few days. One afternoon I picked it up and I played a gentle slow tune, Shenendoah, and the MT2-O simply spoke out and sounded rich and as beautiful as it looks. Since that day, I have had not problem getting great sounds out of this instrument. My wife was even impressed. The MT2-O now sounds better than when I first got it. I am curious as to the change, but am pretty sure the biggest reason is between my ears. I think I am now playing to the instrument instead of playing at it, if that makes any sense. We are now more of a partnership. Glad I did not put it up for sale.
    Last edited by red7flag; Apr-03-2017 at 9:59am. Reason: Unneeded comma,
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red7flag For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Process of my Collings MT2-O

It is probably the change in humidity. It takes a little while for a fine instrument to get used to it's new surroundings.
    In any case I'm sure that you are inspired to play well and it is good to hear about this over here. There may be a preference for Collings mandolins at my house but it is good to know that one should not make decisions too quickly. That goes for any new instrument. Have fun with it!
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

If it came with the strings detuned, then what you heard was the "settling in" period, not to be confused with "warming up" period, the "breaking in period" or the infamous "opening up" period.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fscotte For This Useful Post:

I sometimes have instruments arrive that don't sound as I expect (after a trans-Atlantic journey) within a couple of days they settle down and sound great.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

8. The following members say thank you to trevor for this post:

fscotte, the instrument did not come untuned. I think it may be a combination of what you and Trevor suggests. Also, I think I relaxed in my playing. Collings instruments seem to respond better to my playing when I play in a more laid back fashion. Thanks all.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172