Thread: 15 or 16 Gauge A string?

Default 15 or 16 Gauge A string?

I have a new Gallatin AO that I am really enjoying learning how to play. It has John Pearse 2160H strings on it. When I get new strings, I was wondering what the difference in tone and playability might be if I go with the 2170H which has a 16 A string instead of the 15. Any thoughts on the matter? I am a real newbie to the mandolin so any suggestions would be appreciated.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: 15 or 16 Gauge A string?

I suspect that you won't notice the difference.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

3. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

MBrown 

You might get a little more volume out of the .016 A. So if your A strings have been noticeably quieter than the others, the .016s might fix the problem. But it's a slight difference at best, so more likely Phil is right and you won't notice much of anything.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

5. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

MBrown 

Try one of each in the pair..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

1 thousandth of an inch won't make any difference at all, either way.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I was figuring that it wouldn't make too much difference, but was wondering why they would make a set with just the A string different and that only by .001. The 015s that are currently on it sit in their slots quite nicely. I guess I really don't want to mess with what is already working very well.

Thinnest human hair is around two thousandths, if Google is steering me right.

You're dealing with half that; prepare to find next-to-no difference.

String composition differences are more likely to affect the tone. That being said, as you gradually increase string diameter, you also increase the tension at which the string needs to be, to reach the standard pitch -- i.e, a thicker string needs to be stretched tighter to achieve "A." The result of the increased mass + the greater tension, is more volume. Also more strain on the instrument.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I suppose I'm alone in that I actually hear a noticeable difference between the 0.015 and 0.016 gauges on the A strings. The size difference is even smaller on the E strings, though I notice a difference between 0.011 and 0.0115.

I prefer the thicker strings. As allenhopkins said, it's not so much the difference in seeing it or feeling it on your fingers. It'll feel pretty much the same, although playability does change slightly with the higher tension. The main difference is the higher tension to get to the same pitch, which makes a big difference in volume and tone. To my ears, it sounds less twangy with the heavier strings.

I am enjoying the feedback..I have to say one reason why I might lean toward the 16 gauge is for "symmetry". I have this thing about numbers and with the 16 gauge in place of the 15, all of the gauges would be even. My wife has learned to live with such quirkiness after 46 years.

I like 16, I feel like I can feel, not hear, a small difference. But science could probably make me look like an idiot there. My preference.

Mandolin strings cost next to nothing. Try 'em both and let us know which one you liked better.

Ordered the 2170H. I'll see how the 16 plays and how it sounds. Already like the rest of the set so it will be an interesting experiment. I'll let you know how it goes after playing it for a while.

I agree with Mr Flynn, the difference is more tangible than audible.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I find the 15 to always be a little loosermfeeling than the other strings in a set. When I use a set with a 16 it feels more even in tension, and I feel like I can dig in a little more, the volume is more even with the others, and I worry less about overdriving the strings or them going out of tune. The difference is subtle, but totally noticeable to me.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Budz For This Useful Post:

I seem to notice a difference. Better tone perhaps but it might also feel a little more constrictive, especially up the neck. You might as well try it.

19. The following members say thank you to brent1308 for this post:

MBrown 

Put the new strings on yesterday. There is a difference with the 16 vs 15. Just enough difference that I will stay with the 16..everything that those of you who said you could tell a difference seems to apply for me as well. Also I went with phospor bronze instead of the 80 20 brass. I like the difference with the phosphors too. All in all very pleased with the change. This was my first time changing strings on the mandolin..was a little nervous at first, but it went well.