Thread: Wayfaring Stranger

I've been working thru a mando instruction book with my instructor. Today we got to Wayfaring Stranger and it's in 4/4 time. My instructor says it's supposed to be a waltz and that's how his band plays it. I told him I had other versions at home and I would bring what I had to the next lesson. Every one I have is in 4/4 time. Does anyone have the music in 3/4 time? Any thoughts? Thanks!
    Susan

I have never heard of that version of Wayfaring Stranger. I just tried singing it with a 3/4 count and it was hard to do and sounded strange to my ear.

That sort of thing is not unheard of in music though. A notable example is the Beatles "A Little Help From My Friends." The Beatles' original is in 4/4 and it is a great tune, but it is kind of "sing-song-y." When Joe Cocker did it, he changed it to 3/4 and that, not just his raspy voice, is why that version sounds so different. He made it "down and dirty." I once took a 4/4 church tune that I hated because it was also "sing-song-y" and changed it to 6/8. That one change made it sound really cool, almost like a Dylan tune. But changing time signatures is tricky.

I've never heard it done in 3/4 time. #I tried it and it didn't work for me. #Your instructor's name wouldn't happen to be Johann Strauss, would it?

i play it in 4/4 as well, odd. del mccoury does the opposite with "dont stop the music" changin from 3/4 to 4/4 and it works really well

All the versions I've heard were neither in 3/4, nor 4/4,
    but rather 2/4.

If you think in triplets you can play two measures of 6/8 in a single measure of 4/4

4/4 | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & |
    6/8 | 123 456 123 456 |

On the other hand I don't think I'd have much luck playing Wayfaring Stranger in waltz time.

Thanks for the responses. I plan to share with my instructor at my next lesson on Tuesday. I'll let y'all know what he says. If he insists on the waltz, I'll record him playing it and post it.
    Susan

Make sure you at least have a listen to the Monroe version for a little perspective...

The mando solo in all the live versions is always a very interesting listen, and the modulation to the major chord is challenging to ears that have grown used to the myriad of versions that hang out in the minor key....

Mel Bay's Complete Mandolin Method has a version of Wayfaring Strager in 3/4.

Quote Originally Posted by (ChrisWallace @ Feb. 08 2005, 16:26)
    Mel Bay's Complete Mandolin Method has a version of Wayfaring Strager in 3/4.
    Well, I'll be darned if you aren't right! I was just about to brag that I proved my instructor wrong. I brought him the various versions that I had along with the Dawg/Bush version on Mandolin Extravaganza. He admitted he was wrong. Oh well, I guess I'll have to show him this version.
    Susan

I think Greensleeves is another song that can be played in 4/4 time or 3/4.
    Rigel...the original Vermont Teddy Bear!