Thread: Desperately seeking other BG pickers in Louisville KY

Default Desperately seeking other BG pickers in Louisville KY

The net is filled with jams that have moved, have gone away, or aren't any good. Anyone know of anything good in Louisville these days? Me and Mike Cleveland have some good jams, but I want to try to meet more folks in the Bluegrass community around here...

Also I'm looking to get a good band going, though this may not be the place to bring that up, because obviously I'm talking to mostly other mandolin players... Never the less, I'm all ears... Also I don't mind doing fill in work on guitar, or some jamming on guitar, just don't want to play it all of the time anymore.

I just need to get something going here... I'm sick of going all the way to Cincinnati and Nashville to play good music. It seems there is something I'm missing out on here...

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Desperately seeking other BG pickers in Louisville KY

I'm here to tell you that the western end of the state is slim pickins too. I live in Paducah and finding a Bluegrass Jam is beyond me. The few musicians that I know have bands or full time jobs that preclude any other serious engagement. C'est la Vie. I'll keep playing and traveling and pickin' as I can. And hope for that perfect or at least fun 'grass find......... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    I'm here to tell you that the western end of the state is slim pickins too. I live in Paducah and finding a Bluegrass Jam is beyond me. The few musicians that I know have bands or full time jobs that preclude any other serious engagement. C'est la Vie. I'll keep playing and traveling and pickin' as I can. And hope for that perfect or at least fun 'grass find......... R/
    Say it ain't so!...In the home state of the Father of Bluegrass music...yikes!

In San Diego, CA there are 2 bluegrass associations, 2 weekly jams, another monthly jam, numerous campout jams over the course of the year and 2 festivals (Ramona and Summergrass)

Something is amiss here...are the Bluegrass Gods playing a practical joke where there's more "grass" music in the land of fruits and nuts versus the place where it all began?

Brother!

I feel for you guys!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Great timing with your post...

I'm also in Louisville.

I used to go to the BBC jam nights on Wednesdays, but now they have halted I think...

I'm also hoping to find a regular jam session again here in "the 'Ville".

I'm only a beginner at Mandolin and every day I'm working my way through the bluegrass classics. I have a little more experience flatpicking guitar, but in the past few months I've been dedicating my time to Mandolin.

Also,

Not sure how long you've been in Louisville, but Bluegrass Anonymous used to be a good resource for jam sessions etc, but I think it is somewhat defunct. I bet with some organization peoples interest may peak once again...
    Last edited by 9lbShellhamer; Jun-17-2013 at 7:54pm. Reason: add info

I feel your pain! Eastern Pennsylvania same way. Thought it was just my state...Kris
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

Blog Entries

Guys... you should move here to Southern Spain! I'd gladly pick with you....

No-one else hardly to pick with, that's for sure.

It is understandable here, though. I'm really surprised how difficult it can be even in supposed 'Bluegrass' territory in the US.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Anyone who gets to pick with Shawn is in for a sweet treat. Not only is he a great picker, he's a great guy to be around. During festival season most of the jam sessions dry up but come back in the fall. It's the same here in N. Ky. Shawn, if you get a chance and want to take a ride, come up to Florence on the fourth Friday of the month to Willis Music, NKBMA jam session. Starts about 6 PM.
    What The ....

Quote Originally Posted by shawnbrock View Post
    The net is filled with jams that have moved, have gone away, or aren't any good. Anyone know of anything good in Louisville these days? Me and Mike Cleveland have some good jams, but I want to try to meet more folks in the Bluegrass community around here...

Also I'm looking to get a good band going, though this may not be the place to bring that up, because obviously I'm talking to mostly other mandolin players... Never the less, I'm all ears... Also I don't mind doing fill in work on guitar, or some jamming on guitar, just don't want to play it all of the time anymore.

I just need to get something going here... I'm sick of going all the way to Cincinnati and Nashville to play good music. It seems there is something I'm missing out on here...
    You have GOT to be kidding me and what about "Shepherdsville" or Henryville Indiana?! That's all I've heard about those jams being the rage.....they don't have the gathering I guess at the Galt house anymore either I take it? Have you thought about driving to the barn in Rosine or over to Owensboro? Used to be some jams there.

Bluegrass Anonymous is alive and well. We just had our 3rd annual Pig and Pickin roast, we will be co-sponsoring a band scramble in October at Lapping Park in Clarksville, Indiana and in November we'll be putting together our BA Holiday Pick-Inn which is open jamming and a concert that benefits local charities.

http://bluegrass-anonymous.org/ You can join BA for $15 electronically from that link. We have a quarterly newsletter that comes with your membership, AND a Bluegrass Anonymous list serve that is used to promote local jams and shows. You can also FB us and find out things.
    https://www.facebook.com/BluegrassAnonymous.org (anything new happening will be posted here first)

If you want to know where Bluegrass is, if you want to meet other local Louisvillian pickers then you need to get out to some shows. It's fun to jam but it's also fun to play for money.

Every, and I mean EVERY Wednesday at the Monkey Wrench on Barrett Avenue you will find the Biblehauser brothers, also known as Relic. Showtime is 9:00 and there is no cover. Free. Nada. Just show up, buy a beer and throw something in the tip jar. Some of Louisville best bluegrass musicians are known to set in with them.

Every other Tuesday at 7:00 pm at the Kettle Creek Restaurant in Mt. Washington, KY you have Eddie Wells and the Kettle Creek Ramblers. Mike Cleveland has been known to haunt this place with his fine fiddle. Again, this little gang of 6 and sometimes 7 pickers is made up of probably the best in the business of bluegrass, not just the best in Louisville.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eddie...01623313182312

Shepherdsville Music Barn in Shepherdsville, KY starts in Mid-October, every Friday night. The lineup this year is fabulous and I don't understand why more local pickers aren't down there learning from the best.
    http://www.shepherdsvillemusicbarn.com/Schedule.html
    News and alerts for the barn can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sheph...64938386850375

Early March of every year you can find Itchin to Pick going on at the Gault House. As soon as BA is notified, the members are notified of the date and details. It's a crazy good time and reminiscent of early IBMA happenings.

There are no formal BA organized Jam sessions at this time but there is tons of stuff going on around at people's homes (private jams that you'll get invited to through folks) and a few businesses. The thing is, you have to get out and get to some of the happenings to meet people and ask around. Join BA and sign up for the list serve. It's one of the better list serves that I've been on because there is NOTHING posted that isn't about a jam or a show or bluegrass related.

Shawn,

Here's a list of jams and shows that BA knows about in the Kentuckiana area. This is included in a document which is published via the Bluegrass Anonymous association yahoo email list. I will try to attach the document. It has been a while since I posted, so I hope I get it right!

Stay informed of bluegrass happenings in and around the Louisville area, by joining our yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/. Search for our group by the name, "BGAnon" and become a member. Also, find us on Facebook! There definitely aren't enough public jams in the area, but keeping one going has been a challenge. If you can help host, and/or find a venue, we love volunteers! BA is an organization which lives or dies based on volunteers and participation.

Another weekly show that I have been enjoying is Steve Cooley & Friends on Monday nights at Molly Malones in St Matthews. I know shows don't scratch that pickin' itch, but it is a place to meet other pickers. Hope to see you somewhere soon!

Paula

WEEKLY JAMS & SHOWS:
    Monday: BG jam at 1st Christian Church, Ann Street, downtown Frankfort. 6-8pm. Food provided. Caberobb@aol.com
    Monday: LaGrange Coffee Roasters Jam. 109 N. Walnut St. LaGrange, KY. 6:30-8:30. 502-265-0563
    Tuesday: Aunt B’s Jam, SR 64, Georgetown, IN. 6:00-8:00pm. Info: Gary Huesman 502-468-5743
    Tuesday: Every OTHER Tuesday night, Kettle Creek Bluegrass at Kettle Creek Restaurant in Mt. Washington, KY. 7pm
    Wednesday: Relic at the Monkey Wrench, 1025 Barrett Ave, Louisville. 9pm. For info: 502-582-2433
    Thursday: Hickory Vaught & Friends at Blu Café Marriott Hotel, 280 W. Jefferson, Louisville. 8-12pm. 502-671-4285
    Thursday: BG show: Hillview City Hall, Hillview/Louisville, KY, 6pm. Preston Hwy, Gene Snyder S., Rt. on Hillview Blvd. 
 Right at 1st stop, left at 2nd stop.
    Thursday: The Breckinridge Bluegrass#Music Association#Jam, McQuady#Fire House, 6-9pm (CT).##
    Thursday: Public Jam, 6-9pm CT. Historic Thomas House, betwn Am. Cave Museum & KY Reportory Theatre. 119 E. Main St., Horse Cave, KY. 42749. Host: Shari Mabe: 270-358-4664, SMabe@ShelterInsurance.com
    Thursday: Open bluegrass jam at the KOA Campground in Bowling Green, KY.
    Friday: BG Jam every Friday at the barn in Rosine, KY., Bill Monroe’s home place. Starts at 6:30pm.
    Friday: BG Jam at Southgate Mall: 602 S. Main St: Leitchfield, KY. 42754. For info: 270-259-3184.
    Friday: Jam at Colesburg (KY) Baptist Church, 7-8 miles N.E. of E-Town. Exit 102 off I-65 to Battle Training Rd, KY 434.
    Saturday: Open jam at Richwood Opry, 12 Noon – showtime (7-10pm). www.RichwoodOpry.com, 859-474-0554
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have heard of this jam before:

Shepherdsville Music Barn in Shepherdsville, KY starts in Mid-October, every Friday night. The lineup this year is fabulous and I don't understand why more local pickers aren't down there learning from the best.
    http://www.shepherdsvillemusicbarn.com/Schedule.html
    News and alerts for the barn can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sheph...64938386850375

Great to see that BG anon is still alive and well! (I need to get out more... )

Thanks for the plethora of good info.

Shepherdsville is a music show, not a jam. But, a jam wouldn't be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnbrock View Post

We are reforming a band that has played here in Louisville. The highlight of our career was warming up for Ricky Skaggs at the Halabalou. We are seeking a good mandolin player who can also sing. Bluegrass and some swing. We are open to playing a variety of music that highlights the strengths of the members. If you would be interested in jamming to see if there is good chemistry, give me a call at 502-553-7241. Thanks

As time goes on I realize more and more that Austin Texas is a mandolin heaven...Central Texas Bluegrass Association and Austin Friends of Traditional Music, both of which have been in continuous existence since the 1970's; at least 3-5 jams every week...also there is a mandolin orchestra and a healthy irish/celtic music community. Thanks to Fiddlers Green Music Shop which has done a lot to expand and host several musical genres. including cajun. I feel your pain. Looks like there are some hopeful replies above.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Is the Vine Grove jam still in operation? I think they move it to a park through the summer months. Have read about it and want to go sometime but haven't checked recently to see if it is still going.

Quote Originally Posted by dusty miller View Post
    I feel your pain! Eastern Pennsylvania same way. Thought it was just my state...Kris
    Where in Eastern PA? There are quite a few jams just depends on your area...

Fred is right, there are more jams than folks realize. Here's a guide from fiddler Ed Pollack:

http://home.comcast.net/~epollak/jam.htm
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band