Thread: bandsaw or scroll saw

Default bandsaw or scroll saw

I am adding a riser to my bandsaw, so I decided to get a little table top saw to have in my shop to do small things like cut headstock veneers, trim nuts, resaw tone bars etc. Really just whatever I need to do in a pinch where I don't want to pull the larger blade out of my bandsaw. I can't decide whether to get a scroll saw or small 8"-10" bandsaw. Any suggestions?

Default Re: bandsaw or scroll saw

Hi Andrew,

I think for the tasks you mention a small band saw would do a better job than a scroll saw. I've got my Delta 14" bandsaw dialed in just right for resawing, and like you I was getting tired of changing blades on it. So, I decided to add a smaller one to the workshop for little go-to jobs. I ended up getting a 1950's 10" Delta Homecraft 28-110 bandsaw. It's a jewel. Although quite small, it's sturdy and well made enough to dial in nicely. It could be mounted on a bench top, but its footprint is small enough that I went ahead and made a stand for it.

You're probably familiar with OWWM.com, the vintage machinery site. These saws and their parts are often available on the classifieds over there. I picked mine up with an extra motor for $50.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SGraham; Jun-07-2013 at 10:59am. Reason: baker's apostrophe
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

To give you an idea of how I feel about the situation, I'm thinking of getting a smaller saw to dedicate to re-sawing so I don't have to change blades (and set up) as often. The wider the blade the more tension is needed to make it work properly, the larger the wheels on the bandsaw, the stronger and heavier it needs to be to properly tension large blades. When re-sawing, the extra clearance of larger wheels is not needed, but when sawing out pegheads, guitar tops, templates and so forth, the extra clearance is good to have. Anyway, my 30" bandsaw does a fine job of re-sawing up to it's roughly 12" capacity with a 3/4" blade, but it does such a good job of cutting curves and details with a 1/4" or 1/8" blade, and has so much clearance for doing that kind of work, that I'm thinking of getting another saw. Mind you, when I say a smaller saw for re-sawing, I'm thinking 16" or 18" (that's smaller than 30").
    I only know one person who uses a scroll saw regularly, and he is capable of wonderful detail in small cut-outs and tiny things, but a scroll saw is painfully slow when it is called upon to do the work of a bandsaw, other than really small stuff.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I have a scroll saw and it sits idle much of the time. I've found it only really useful for cutting f-holes and the such.
    Bandsaw.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Blog Entries

Get a 14" bandsaw.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

I have an old Black and Decker 9" bandsaw that I use for detail work. It works well.
    Jim Baker

I've had bad experiences with home center quality scroll saws in our school model shop - mostly dealing with the tables being woefully out of flat. For the money you pay for a good one you'd be better off with a small bandsaw, IMO.

Digging this up from a search rather than starting a new thread since it leads exactly to what I've also been deciding. Having decided to buy a dedicated resaw bandsaw, which is the best blade for my old smaller Delta, now to be used mainly for contour cuts - 1/4"?

Thx

Jon

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billhay4 View Post
    I have a scroll saw and it sits idle much of the time. I've found it only really useful for cutting f-holes and the such.
    Bandsaw.
    Bill
    This. I have a Rikon 10" bench top bandsaw and I love it. The only I use I get out of my scrollsaw, like Bill, is to cut f holes in tops but for that one purpose I'd say it's worth it to have both if you can.
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

I have now owned a scroll saw for thirty years at least. I bought it for cutting out small intricate pieces of wood. A week after I bought it I bought a small band saw because it just didn't work out for me. I use that band saw all of the time. I can't remember the last time I even took the scroll saw out from under the bench. If I wasn't a tool junkie it would probably have been gone years ago. YMMV.

I didn't even realize this was a resurrected post. I don't know how I missed it the first time.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I actually didn't notice that either....
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins

I never realized how important my smaller bandsaw was until I brought home my Y30. "Just one more tool and I'll be finished....."

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com
    Last edited by j. condino; Feb-13-2017 at 12:40pm.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Man, that thing is AWESOME!! It looks like it ought to have bomb bay doors on the back and some Vargas Girl artwork on it somewhere! Are a leather jacket and goggles required to play that?

Rayburn Mandolins

15. The following members say thank you to Bluetickhound for this post:

Nice saw, James. Mine is smaller but sexier.

And just what is that "one more" on your list? I'm thinking about a hand plane that looks like a race car.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dale Ludewig For This Useful Post:

Wow! Nice bass. I picked up a used crapsman 10" for next to nothing (the non-'triangular' one) tuned it up a bit and put a 1/4" 6tpi meat saw blade on it a and with the exception of resawing, which I didn't do, it worked really well. Biggest drawback is that it is an off size for store-bought blades...learning how to braze and anneal is good

I rarely use my scroll saw, I go with a bandsaw.

Dale, don't forget our agreement: Whichever one of us keels over first, the other gets a right of first refusal on their bandsaw? Go ahead and show off your Y20 photos again. I already told your wife you owe me $$$ for some overpriced mandolin junk and that's how we're settling it!

As for that sportscar looking handplane, I think you missed the chance. I spoke to Wally at Veritas a while back and he said they discontinued the beautiful NX60 because they were having issues with their subcontractor getting the quality control and consistency that high. I think you can still get it in regular steel; same functioning plane but a different experience. The fancy one is probably my alltime favorite plane and the one I reach for first 90% of the time.

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx60 side view.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	154038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx60 sports car.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	154039  

Bummer, I've been eyeing that plane too

I have that plane and by now I'm almost ready to trade it for a simple answer to the reason I dug up this old thread

Almost...

Jon