Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastman MD-814 review

I recieved my new 814 from Steve Perry/Gianna Violins a week and a half ago. What a super expeirence dealing with Steve and Gianna. The mando is GREAT. Eastman captures the oval hole sound to a tee. The woods, workmanship, finish and detailing are fine. I didn't expect to see detailing like I would on a $20K mando. I will say Eastman exceeded my expectations. My only reservation is to take advantage of Steve's 100% trade up policy for a 914. Let me know when you get one Steve.

Where are the Eastman oval/F mandolas? I want one......
    Bob

I love my 814 too! Definitely one of the best bargains out there.

Please don't take this the wrong way. It is not meant to be in any way an affront or even the least unpleasant.

But I would be curious to know, just how many $20k mandolins have you played (or even seen up close)?

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

JML.........I was trying to make a point. This ain't no $5K, $8K or $20K mando. It is a bunch-o-mando for the denaro. Sounds good too.

For the record, I've played 3 Loars. Of course, they're a little more than $20K..........

Bob

Fair enough. Like I said, I didn't mean to be unkind. It's just that I thought the statement was perhaps a bit much. Also, honestly, I've never seen an Eastman, and with all the talk, I was wondering just how good they really are. Given your experience in playing fine instruments, I'm inclined to credit the fact that they must indeed be pretty good (although truth be told the one Loar I've played was unimpressive <g&gt (ducking).

Anyway, I forgot to say, congrats on the new instrument.

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Mark,
    No offense taken. I've had MAS for an F-4 too long. I'd settle for an F-2. I've tried to rationalize selling some stuff to get one. I even corresponded with Ben Wilcox (BRW-he is making some fine mandos) about making me one. Then, here comes Eastman. Looks good, sounds great, keep all my stuff, no 2nd mortgage......... They are worth a look if you're in the market.

Kurt,

What's your s/n on your 814. Mine is 008.
    Bob

Mark, the Eastman mandos are unbelievably built ......... for the money. Incredibly, the detailing approaches most mandos currently in the $2k - $8k range. I've purchased an MD 815 that has quite incredible woods in it.

..... and yes, I've played a few expensive mandos.
    ..... f5joe

Bob, my 814 is s/n 006. Happy Picking, Kurt

I like the oval F mandolins. The Eastman ovals I've had through seem to be quite consistent and have that nice warm woofy bass. I have a blonde MD914 (the fancy one) coming in, probably Monday. Maybe I'll keep it. Should be a very special thing. I'm rarely excited about instruments arriving, just interested, but this one has me excited!

Steve
    Stephen Perry

I want the 914 Steve...........I'll be in touch.
    Bob

How about some pics of these F4's guys? Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Let me see what I co do. I'm no wizzzzard on the 'puter (or mando for that matter)......

I give up. What's a URL???
    Bob

Email for pics.............I can do that.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by (f5joe @ Feb. 08 2005, 14:07)
    Mark, the Eastman mandos are unbelievably built ......... for the money. #Incredibly, the detailing approaches most mandos currently in the $2k - $8k range. #I've purchased an MD 815 that has quite incredible woods in it.

Well...jeez. Doncha just love capitalism? I gotta play one of these things....

J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

JML,
    $20K, you can have mine........OK...$10K.
    Bob

No way. But I'll give you $30k.
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Quote Originally Posted by (f5joe @ Feb. 08 2005, 14:07)
    Mark, the Eastman mandos are unbelievably built ......... for the money. Incredibly, the detailing approaches most mandos currently in the $2k - $8k range. I've purchased an MD 815 that has quite incredible woods in it.

While much of the detailing is rather nice, some of the other things will vary more than I like. Neck angle, neck tilt, binding fit, carving into the scroll, etc. All could be stepped up a little. I think this freedom in detail and design is rather charming, but I'm a violin guy. I couldn't hold an Eastman up against a top level professional US made mandolin and say the QA and detailing were the same. The varnish is soft, too. Which I like, but some may not. On the other other, the performance per dollar seems to be quite excellent. The contrast with the production Korean and Chinese mandolins from the larger any-instrument producers is quite great.

The big problem with the upper end mandolins from everyone is that they use this stunning violin wood that I want.

With all the interest in mandolins I'd love to have a wider range hanging on my wall. Of course, I can't get Gibson. I probably can't afford to stock Weber. And I don't know that I'd move any of the small specialty builder mandolins. Difficult. The advantage for me with Eastman is that they are very nice to me. I've known Gordon since before the archtops and mandolins. They send me mandolins when I ask, even if I ask for only 1. I hope they're as nice to everyone.

One thing various discussions have done on this board is talk me out of making a mandolin. Rough crowd, difficult job! Now if I could step into the Opry Mills Gibson line and make some for a month, that would be a thrill. Or Weber. Or any other place that really has the mix of production plus QA going.

No mistake, the consistency in basic geometry and various other aspects is astounding from the top major producers.

Stephen Perry

Quote Originally Posted by (giannaviolins @ Feb. 09 2005, 21:11)
    The contrast with the production Korean and Chinese mandolins from the larger any-instrument producers is quite great.
    I guess this is the point that needs to be made, then. Because I've played a number of Korean and Chinese made mandolins, of various makes, and almost all of them I put down quickly with a grimace. So if these are really in a different class, I guess that's what will get people's attention.

Oh, and Steve, not to be picky, but that's the second time I've seen you refer to the "varnish" on these instruments. Are they varnished, or laquered?

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Both...according to their website.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. My 815:

..... f5joe

Joe, that's an great looking backside. How about one of the front. #Congrats!!! #
    Lee Hill

Sure, here's one:

..... f5joe

Looks like and works like varnish to me. I can touch it up just like regular spirit varnish. Whatever lacquer overcoat is on is too thin for me to see.
    Stephen Perry

The 'burst looks GREAT. My 814 is the classic finish. I call it "fiddle brown". It goes with Gerald Anderson F-5 of the same coloring.
    Bob