Thread: Nick Keir RIP

Default Nick Keir RIP

I am really sad to hear of the death of my old friend Nick Keir, who was most famous as a member of the very popular Scots folk group The MacCalmans.

Here is how his old bandmate Ian McCalman announced his death:

Sad news from Ian McCalman

Good day to you all,
    I have been asked to let some of his friends know that, after a period of aggressive cancer, Nick Keir died this morning, Sunday, 2nd June. There is nothing I can say to make anyone feel less sad about losing one of the most caring, witty and talented people I have ever met. You get to know people pretty well when you go "on the road" playing music with them for 30 years and not once in that time did he lose his gentle humour and patience with those around him.
    My sympathy goes out, particularly, to his mother, who was so supportive to him in his brilliant career.
    I am truly sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.
    Ian

(McCalman)

I knew Nick well at university, and I got started on the mandolin by borrowing one which he had, so I can honestly say that he had a very profound effect on my life.
    A very talented and really nice man. My deepest sympathy to his nearest and dearest.
    David A. Gordon

Default Re: Nick Keir RIP

I am very sad for your personel loss David and my prayers are with you all.
    Yours
    John

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I share your feeling. He's now gone on a tour of a different kind, singing to other audiences. I am quite sure he is alright.

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Another fine, talented Scot leaves us, its just so unutterably sad. Thanks for posting this Dagger. Nick "supported" us, The Occasionals a few years ago at the Leith Folk club, and he was just brilliant, witty, singing so very dynamically and a joy to hear. We then joined the Macs one Hogmanay, broadcasting from the bowels of the new BBC HQ in Glasgow, we could hardly play for the banter and jokes, and presenter Robbie Shepherd was in kinks. And the Macs "12 Folk Days of Christmas" at the Trad Awards in Edinburgh a few years back was the funniest thing I've heard, perhaps there's a video of that somewhere ... Happy memories at yet another very sad time.
    Kevin Macleod

Thanks for your kind thoughts John.

Bertram, I should think you might well have seen the MacCalmans in Germany. They did a lot of work in Europe, particularly in Denmark.

Yes Kevin, I'm afraid it really has been a difficult few months. Too many old friends going way before their time.
    David A. Gordon

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I have seen them, David. Their self-deprecating we-dont-brag-about-our-modesty humor that comes with absolute ability - priceless. Loving them - inevitable.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world