Thread: fret positions

Default fret positions

I want to build an octave mandolin with a scale length of around 22". I have seen how the math works and StewMac has an online calculator for any scale length but my question is how do I measure, for example, 13.791"? Is there some kind of ruler for such things, or some other tool? Thanks for any help. Danny

Default Re: fret positions

There are rules that measure to the 64th of an inch and to 100th of an inch. 13.791 is approximately 13 51/64" (rounding up) or 13 79/100". Not exact but close.
    I have measured and I have also used WFRET and printed out my scale length template and glued it to my fretboard or taped it along the edge and used it to mark the board.
    You could purchase a pre-slotted board.
    Bill Snyder

Dan,
    I show what I did to measure the frets in my journal (see the related thread, or PM me and I can email it). My GOM is 23.5" scale. I use a 6" dial caliper (not too expensive), with 6"and 12" rulers to extend the reach.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fretboard - measure from 6 in rule.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	106452

Use the StewMac calculator and it will come out fine, but I prefer to reduce the nut to 1st fret distance by about 0.013" to improve intonation for the first 3 frets. You just subtract the 0.013" reduction from all of the measurements in the StewMac result.
    //mike

You can't measure that, and if you could you couldn't cut that accurately anyway, try an online calculator like this one: http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/ that lets you print out a template, then glue or tape the template to the board and cut as accurately as you can!

Or you could order the board from LMI. For a $9.00 charge, at last check, they'll cut the fret slots to any scale length (in addition to the basic cost of the board). It's CNC and will be virtually perfect. And as Tavy says, you can't measure that accurately nor cut it that accurately yourself.

Dan,
    As Dale stated, the most accurate result would come from using LMI's service to cut the board for you. If you print out templates as Tavy suggests you still must mark and cut the slots at some point. StewMac sells a system that will likely provide for excellent results but may not have the custom scale length you desire.

I wanted to do it myself, and keep the costs down. I decided not worry over the small errors from measuring and cutting - both my instruments have excellent intonation. So, the errors from my method are likely not really audible.

At least you have several resources and methods available to you, from purchasing a pre-cut board all the way down to old school marking knife and saw work. Either way, go for it!

Just want to say thanks to you guys. I don't have a ton of experience but I want this instrument to sound and play as good as I can. I'll probably have more questions. Thanks again. Danny.

49.479184 N, -86.20 W. Longitude rectified to Giza.

Yes printing a gluing it down works...but just be aware that paper stretches when wet. Now what?
    Me prefer to tape it down, scribe with a knife, then cut the slots.

blessings
    duh ?adma
    If it gets the pig clean ~ use it.

You can easily measure and scribe to .001" accuracy using digital calipers. Keep in mind that your knife has a thickness, so using, say, a #11 X-Acto blade, you need to offset your measurement by 1/2 the thickness of the blade (usually .011" with #11 blades).