Thread: Gettysburg BG Festival

Default Gettysburg BG Festival

Spent a great 2 days at Gettysburg with lots of great music and mando playing. Excellent workshop with Wayne Benson, basically talking about the use of modes in your playing without using terms like Mixolydian or Phrygian but instead tonal centers within a key so it was more easily understood. He is a very inventive player.

Also a good workshop with Don Rigsby on some of his technique and thinking in his mando playing. Cory Piatt was fun to listen to - good player with sweet tone.

The All Star jam with Kenny Smith, Jim Van Cleeve, Sam Shelor, Aaron Ramsey peeled paint! Some strong picking in that one. Each time I heard Kenny Smith play I was blown away again and again by how clean he plays, and also just how nuanced he is in what he does around the fretboard. He is a master.

Great weather and nice crowds, too. This was a Christmas gift from my son who knows I don't get much chance to attend festivals.
    Eastman 315
    Epiphone MM-20
    Martin D-16H
    MIJ reissue 62 Strat
    Gregory Furan custom L-49

2. The following members say thank you to Kirk Albrecht for this post:

Default Re: Gettysburg BG Festival

Sounds like your son hit a home run with that gift!

Wayne is a great teacher and one of the nicest guys you'll ever want to meet. His teaching has helped my playing and enjoyment of music tremendously.

Kenny Smith is indeed a master - his right hand is unbelievably relaxed and precise.
    Clark Beavans

Wow that sounds like that was a lot of fun.Sorry I missed it. Kris
    Last edited by dusty miller; May-18-2013 at 9:45am.

Yea it was a great lineup for the 2 days I was there, and the weekend will be awesome. Gibson Brothers, Kenny & Amanda Smith Band, III Tyme Out, , Nora Jane struthers and Party Line, The Grass Cats, The Rambling Rooks (Keny Smith, Scott Vestal, Don Rigsby, Ronnie Bowman!), LRB, and Mountain Heart. All were good of these. Heard Bob Marley, the Who, Allman Brothers, Bob Dylan - and lots of good traditional bluegrass, too!
    Eastman 315
    Epiphone MM-20
    Martin D-16H
    MIJ reissue 62 Strat
    Gregory Furan custom L-49