Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J Bovier F5T

Default J Bovier F5T

Anyone know anything good or bad about a J Bovier F5T Tradition mandolin? A new one is about $875,is there something out ther better with a radiused fretboard?

Default Re: J Bovier F5T

No one else has answered here, so I'll jump in. I have heard four J Bovier mandolins, including my own A5. One was a used F5 Tradition, two were brand new F5 Specials, and then my own. All of them are outstanding mandolins. The best of the bunch was the F5 Tradition, not because it is a better model, it just happens to have the strongest voice of the ones I've heard. I have heard and played many fantastic mandolins and the J Boviers are very good, indeed. I have never heard anything under $1000 that sounds as good or plays as good as the Boviers that I have played. I have only had my A5 for five months now but it is already opening up to a warm, but strong tone. It sounds better and better each day I play it. Haven't heard a bad one yet.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandobassman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I will be getting a Special tomorrow. Im looking forward to it and will post review after it arrives.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RicPalmer View Post
    Anyone know anything good or bad about a J Bovier F5T Tradition mandolin? A new one is about $875,is there something out ther better with a radiused fretboard?
    Ric,

Sorry I missed your post before...I have an F5 Studio which according to Jeff Cowherd is the same guts/construction as the Tradition model, just the binding, finishing, metal work is different...and it rocks! (woody tone, full, punchy chop, etc)

I used to think my Eastman MD515 was the best sub $1000 mando; now I'm sure it's JBovier.

BTW, check out Kyle at The mando Shop
    http://www.themandoshop.com/pages-jb...1201-1439.html

He sells the JBovier Special for $1099, sans case...let us know how it turns out...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

I wonder how they have avoided any legal problems with the name. http://www.jbovier.com/main/

Quote Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
    I wonder how they have avoided any legal problems with the name. http://www.jbovier.com/main/
    I don't think the J. Bovier in Paris is worried about any confusion with their products from the mandolin crowd.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I don't think the J. Bovier in Paris is worried about any confusion with their products from the mandolin crowd.
    Aw come on man!...don't they appreciate the "Mando scene!" ...LOL

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

I'm about to pull the trigger on a F special. Should I do it? I'm starting to come to terms with buying a Chinese mando but its not easy. My budget is what it is. Nervous for sure. Kyle seems like a good guy and hopefully the JBouvier will be fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by gringosid View Post
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a F special. Should I do it? I'm starting to come to terms with buying a Chinese mando but its not easy. My budget is what it is. Nervous for sure. Kyle seems like a good guy and hopefully the JBouvier will be fabulous!
    Kyle will give you the straight scoop...re: my F5 Studio he told me that after he set it up he played it, which is what he does with all of them; and he said "I kept playing it and playing it which is a good sign"...that was an understatement! Mine rocks! (and that's not just my opinion:every mando guy in these parts from players to the guy at Buffalo Bros. says it's a keeper!) Can't mention names but another individual who sells a lot of mandos grudgingly admitted that the JBovier had more of a "woody" tonal quality vs the Eastman (MD 315/515)

If Kyle says the mando is good, you can trust him...more important than that though is the F5 Special has better tone woods than the F5 Studio/Tradition...don't see how you could go wrong...and the asian thing...they build meticulously to Jeff Cowherd's specs, and they seem to have the quality control methodolgy down; focusing on "voicing" and construction quality in every mando as Jeff told me.

I think you'll be happy...

11. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Done! I can't wait to get my new J Bouvier F 5 Special. Now....patience...not good at it.

Blog Entries

Just got mine and its beautiful. This is my first Chinese mandolin but I've bought many American mandolins and honestly it's really hard to beat this mandolin. Quality parts and woods great setup, I mean really all that for 1100 bucks? With a great case!
    There are mandolins I've spent 3x that price and don't compare.

14. The following members say thank you to sachmo63 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sachmo63 View Post
    Just got mine and its beautiful. This is my first Chinese mandolin but I've bought many American mandolins and honestly it's really hard to beat this mandolin. Quality parts and woods great setup, I mean really all that for 1100 bucks? With a great case!
    There are mandolins I've spent 3x that price and don't compare.
    Shhhsssh!

Everyone will start wanting one and the prices will go up; at least no more praises till I get that A5 for $899...LOL!

Blog Entries

I think the days of "Made in China" = low end rubbish are long gone. You have to remember, people also had that attitude with "Made in Japan" at one point. Now that is seen as a badge of quality. Times change.

From what I have seen recently, some of the Chinese made instruments (violins, as well as mandolins) are really getting right up there quality-wise. Certainly, I have a Northfield myself, and it is a truly first-class mandolin. Easily holds its own (and more) with some pretty serious 'names'. Unfortunately, not seen any 'J Bovier' examples over here, but it sounds like they are doing a great job right now and delivering quality instruments at great prices. Leaving the low end stuff to one side, because that will never amount to much no matter where it's made, there is no reason at all why you can't build a fine instrument just about anywhere if you can find the skill base and are prepared to work at it.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gringosid View Post
    Done! I can't wait to get my new J Bouvier F 5 Special. Now....patience...not good at it.
    Kyle @ The Mando Shop ships routinely by UPS Ground...that takes 5 business days (Florida to California), unless you're willing to pony up more than the $20 rate for ground and go 3 day shipping. Otherwise, it will be a week of constantly checking the website for shipping updates, been there done that...LOL

Blog Entries

Just got my Special and HOLY COW......I can't believe this was only $1100.........the traditional model is even less expensive.....

Just played it an hour or so and......

Set up perfectly
    Frets are perfect (non sticking out or unlevel)
    Color is great (i'm partial to sunbursts) but still really great.
    High quality tuners
    Sound is (unbelievably woody) for being brand new. Strings pop when you hit them. It is pretty Loud too. I'm sure these things will change when i start bangin' on it but for a brand new instrument its fantastic. Equal to many US builders costing many times more.(I can't believe i said that but honestly its true).

IF You wanted focus on the not so great here it is.

Some of the bindings are a little sketchy around the scroll but really you have to look HARD and by sketchy I mean they're just not absolutely perfect, I'll try to post pictures but if your that picky, you better buy a weber and spend $5K however I doubt it'll sound as good.

Thats all of my criticism that I can find, there may be something else but I haven't found it.

I also just played it side by side with a 2009 KM1000 and the J. is easier to play(probably due to bigger frets) and louder. The KM is a little "darker" but its been played for 4 years. I can't wait to play the bovier for a couple hours and see what happens.

$1100.......wow

BTW, Mandoshop, Kyle, kyle@themandoshop.com, Jeff@JBovier.net - no financial interest whatsoever

Florida to East TN shipped monday, arrived wednesday.

S

OK everyone,

Please don't believe a word of anything sachmo63 says; he's deleusional, please ignore JBovier mandolins...they're made in china, how good could they possibly be!

(Hope that puts enough doubt out there to hold off everyone till I can get ANOTHER ONE!) LOL!!!

Seriously sachmo63,

I concur wholehardedly; it's amazing isn't it?

BTW, I had the same observations re: binding around the scroll on mine; so it's not perfect...the thing (F5 Studio) is a little monster!...and the tonewoods are even better on the Special model...

Enjoy sachmo63...I know I will...but the rest of you; please ignore our rantings as we have no idea what we're talking about...forget JBovier even exists....think Collings, Weber, Gibson...aaah! those asian mandos can't be that good can they...naaah!

21. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Blog Entries

Yea, um on 2nd thought I should've spent Another 4 thousand dollars on a Weber.

Not that it really matters much, but the J Bovier's are made in Korea, not China.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Can we hear one of these gems on youtube?

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Not that it really matters much, but the J Bovier's are made in Korea, not China.
    You sure about that? http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/J+Bo...5+Special/3024

And +1 on the soundbites.

Check the classifieds, someone had a special on those mandos a couple days ago.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

So Sachmo63, I take it you are being facetious and that the J Bovier will meet your needs into the near future. Do you feel the same way after playing it for a bit longer - the rush of the new has gone away a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by pefjr View Post
    Check the classifieds, someone had a special on those mandos a couple days ago.
    That ad for the F5Z mandolins is by Jeff Cowherd himself. He had a batch that were prototypes when he was looking for a new builder to make the mandolins to his specs. He wasn't satisfied with the cosmetics and is selling them very cheap. The ones coming from the builder he chose since then are terrific.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Quote Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
    You sure about that? http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/J+Bo...5+Special/3024

And +1 on the soundbites.
    I stand corrected on the place of manufacture. They have been made in Korea until this year. I knew Jeff had switched to another builder, but I didn't know they were coming from China now. The previous ones had a sticker on the back of the headstock that said "Made In Korea". Mine was a first-batch prototype for the new builder and it doesn't have that sticker and it also doesn't say it on the label anywhere.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Blog Entries

Recorded this last night during a thunderstorm and only got a signal to load it this morning......Anyway this has about 3 hours playing time. This was made in China.

Cheers.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sachmo63 For This Useful Post: