Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are some easy klezmer tunes?

Default Re: What are some easy klezmer tunes?

I suppose you're right. Started picking it in D, and while not too different, it is a longer stretch.

And actually, I first learned Hava Nagila in D, as well as Misirlou.

Blog Entries

Actually you should start playing the tune up an octave. It is easier up there because the frets are closer together. AND klezmer music is usually played with a high and low lead players.

If I can find the time, I'll write out the tune with rhythm parts for 'second fidl' / mandolin.

I've been working in Finale 2012 and I'm trying to get mandolin chord charts to function. Anyone have experience with Finale's weird chord library system for mandolin fingerboards?

3. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Interesting, I'll try playing a couple tunes in the higher octave. Speaking of Misirlou, why is it associated with klezmer music when it is a Greek folk song?

Miserlou is actually a Greek song, but who can where the melody comes from ???
    (see wikipedia here)
    The mode is used in klezmer music (but not only), so...
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."

I also started learning Tantz Tantz Yidelekh in A. Not to different from D or E, depending on which octave you decide to play it in. I also started playing some klezmer tunes with Irish trad tunes....

Blog Entries

Hmmm I have some major issues with mixing ethnic musics. So be warned my friend. Enough said.

I have authored a book of Irish tunes. PM me and I'll get you one.

I've been fussing with Tantz Tantz Yideleh as a music notation experiment in Finale. I do plan to post the result here. It will be some sort of chart that includes TAB, mandolin chords and an example of 'back up' or secund rhythm fidl part. It will probably be in D.
    And I'll have to try playing it in A. Great idea.

Blog Entries

I apologise for my 'cranky' comments. Sometimes I dont' edit and regret my impulsive short hand. There are many reasons for not mixing different musics in a set. But in this situation I had no reason to say so. As a personal set of mandolin tunes, why not play what you like?

As for klezmer music, my wife pointed out an important aspect of articulating notes that I want to share. I was showing her my opus called 'Tantz, Tantz, Yiddeleh' and she said that groups of notes, in this case sixteenth notes, are not played as written. Every two notes go long-short, long-short. The first and third notes out of four are longer than their neighboring notes. Writing this in music is rarely done because it is so subtle. BUT the easy way to remember this style occured to me in the middle of the night. It is the Biddy-Bidddy Bum Bum in the song from Fiddler on the Roof - "If I were a rich man."

As a test of this theory I have been going around the house singing all kinds of klezmer tunes in this Biddy-Bum-Bum style. The Bum-Bum's are eighth notes. Tantz, Tanz, Yiddeleh is for example, goes Biddy-Biddy-Biddy-Biddy, Bum, Biddy, Bum.

My cat looks at me like I'm nuts, but I think this is really cool.

9. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Blog Entries

The two note artiulation is just the other way around. Biddy = short-long
    But you get the idea. If you listen closely to a recording it goes that way. It's kind of a lilting quality. esp. on descending lines.

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    I apologise for my 'cranky' comments.
    Nah, your fine. I don't take offense to those kind of comments. But, anyway, how's Tantz, Tantz Yidelekh in A working for you? Playing on the G-string is a bit of a stretch for me, but Im sure I figure it out sooner or later!

And, as for the articulation, I'll have to try and listen for it.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tamtz Tamtz Yideleh for mandolins.pdf 
Views:	373 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	104331Tantz, Tantz Yiddeleh for mandolins.mp3

O.K. here is a three page pdf of Tantz, Tanz, Yiddeleh arranged for fiddle, lead mandolin, back-up mandolin (or second fidl), and bass fiddle. TAB and chord charts are included for lead mandolin and back-up mandolin. Click on the image to download the pdf.

The backup mandolin stays on the bottom strings. I hardly ever play the e-string in backup stuff. Also the mandolin works closely with the string bass. The bass does the down beat and mandolin, the up beat i.e. Oom-pah - the pah is me, the mandolin player.
    The chords are almost always two notes and sometimes three and there is a real art to voicing the notes to fit the melodies.

I've included a Mp3 sound file so you can hear the whole thing. What do you think?

13. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

That's awesome. I'll probably be working on this for a while. Thank you.

Name:	Tamtz Tamtz Yideleh for mandolins.pdf 
Views:	373 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	104331Tantz, Tantz Yiddeleh for mandolins.mp3

O.K. here is a three page pdf of Tantz, Tanz, Yiddeleh arranged for fiddle, lead mandolin, back-up mandolin (or second fidl), and bass fiddle. TAB and chord charts are included for lead mandolin and back-up mandolin. Click on the image to download the pdf.

The backup mandolin stays on the bottom strings. I hardly ever play the e-string in backup stuff. Also the mandolin works closely with the string bass. The bass does the down beat and mandolin, the up beat i.e. Oom-pah - the pah is me, the mandolin player.
    The chords are almost always two notes and sometimes three and there is a real art to voicing the notes to fit the melodies.

I've included a Mp3 sound file so you can hear the whole thing. What do you think?
    That's very cool of you to put that up, Doug. There seem to be some discrepancies between the suggested mandolin tablature and the violin line though- is the mandolin tablature meant to be an octave up?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    That's very cool of you to put that up, Doug. There seem to be some discrepancies between the suggested mandolin tablature and the violin line though- is the mandolin tablature meant to be an octave up?
    The mandolin in regular notation is not shown. I got lazy and did not want another staff on the page. Good observation!
    The mandolin player who wants to play the upper octave can play that violin part.
    Also thought that it may be a good exercise to write out the mandolin part since the TAB is right there. I can post the octave lower part if you'd like.
    (And I should write out the whole thing in D....) Another day.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

our current fav to play is Bulgar Ala Naftule, though maybe you purists would tell me it's not proper klezmer?... however in this case the lead is clarinet & trumpet with my on my harmonium as rhythm (plus our guitarist). We play it loads faster than any of the youtube versions.

what a tune...
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Isn't all ethnic music a mixing of other ethnic music?
    It is well understood that Ukrainian musicians and Jewish musicians often worked together, played at each others'weddings, and took influence from Turkish, Romanian and gypsy music.
    Hmmm I have some major issues with mixing ethnic musics. So be warned my friend. Enough said.

I have authored a book of Irish tunes. PM me and I'll get you one.

I've been fussing with Tantz Tantz Yideleh as a music notation experiment in Finale. I do plan to post the result here. It will be some sort of chart that includes TAB, mandolin chords and an example of 'back up' or secund rhythm fidl part. It will probably be in D.
    And I'll have to try playing it in A. Great idea.

19. The following members say thank you to Larry321 for this post:

This is such a great thread! I have the Mel Bay book. I'm looking at this as a guitarist and accompanist. I play with a good mandolin player, and we want to add some klezmer to our routine. Lots here for me to look into!

I just re-read this thread.

The only thing I would add is that to make ANY of the Klezmer - or Russian, Greek, Romanian, Rom, etc. - tunes actually sound like Yiddish music is the use of ornaments, such as the dreydlekh.

Without these essential ornaments the tunes will not sound particularly Jewish. So the real trick in playing Klezmer STYLE is to remember that the tune is not really the tune without the ornamentation.

https://www.homespun.com/shop/produc...klezmer-music/

Andy Statman explains this:

"On this DVD lesson, Andy Statman discusses the background, techniques and stylistic nuances needed to perform klezmer correctly -- regardless of the instrument you play. He teaches several typical melodies, first playing each one slowly and unornamented, then demonstrating how trills, slurs, grace notes, vibrato and other variations "bring out the heart that's inside the melody." You'll learn connecting runs, classic endings, "dangerous" ornaments to avoid, and the rhythmic underpinning of this vital music."

Yes it's on clarinet, but the musical material is so important if you want to play Klezmer music, not just play the tunes in any old style.

Name:	klez1.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	154892

Please read this selection about ornaments.

One final comment - it is also possible to over-ornament a tune, sometimes less is more.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Larry321 View Post
    Isn't all ethnic music a mixing of other ethnic music?
    It is well understood that Ukrainian musicians and Jewish musicians often worked together, played at each others'weddings, and took influence from Turkish, Romanian and gypsy music.
    Yes, when the situations and/or laws allowed for mixed groups or for bands of various ethnicities to play at the same functions. The musicians definitely swapped repertoire or already knew common material.

What was different was HOW each group played. Only the Klezmer bands used the full range of ornaments that define Yiddish music.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Get Stacy Phillips' book and/or the Streets of Gold album by the Klezmorim (or the First Recordings CD on Arhoolie). These will keep you busy for some time. My favorite is A Glezele Vayn, a true compendium of klezmer modes.

Blog Entries

The particular sound of any ethnic music is much like an accent in language. It takes a little experience, but after a while one can recognize that the tune is klezmer and not gypsy, Israeli or whatever. And this, you don't get from sheet music. And I strongly recommend not mixing styles until you really can hear the difference.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

26. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

The particular sound of any ethnic music is much like an accent in language. It takes a little experience, but after a while one can recognize that the tune is klezmer and not gypsy, Israeli or whatever. And this, you don't get from sheet music. And I strongly recommend not mixing styles until you really can hear the difference.
    That is what I was saying in reference to Klezmer style and ornamentation.

28. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

DougC 

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

And I strongly recommend not mixing styles until you really can hear the difference.
    That's what I know.

Mick

Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig