Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To Eastman...Or not to Eastman, that is the question.

Default Re: To Eastman...Or not to Eastman, that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Don't forget to check out the Eastman MD 305 and 315. Not everyones cup of tea, but they just may be the best bang for the buck on entry priced mandos right now. I have compared it to much higher priced mandos and I'm still quite pleased with it after 8 months. I can't say I don't lust for others, but I also can't see ever selling it.
    I am wanting an F-style mandolin to add to my collection. I have wanted an F-style mandolin since my mandolin interest sparked, but couldn't make myself pay $1K or more for an instrument, because I didn't know if my spark would fizzle out and I would lose interest in the instrument. Luckily it didn't fizzle out and I really enjoy playing my Kentucky KM-150 whenever I get a chance.

The main points that keep me from buying an Eastman are the narrow nut width, typically 1 1/16th... and abbreviated fretting.

One more thing! What about the Kentucky KM 1000? How would you compare it to the Eastman?

The main points that keep me from buying an Eastman are the narrow nut width, typically 1 1/16th... and abbreviated fretting.
    I have sampled quite a few eastmans over ~10 yrs or so, and tried hard to like them. I especially liked their short-necked oval hole designs. But the usually thinner tone, to my ears, and the unnecessarily narrow fingerboard which IMO is a really poor choice on the "vintage" style oval-hole models, are the factors for me. Otherwise I would likely have a 504 or 604 by now. I can say that for the price point, I was really pleased with the Kentucky 505 I bought several years ago. It had the specs (wide radiused FB, short angled FB extension) I favor and nice tone.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

The nut width on Eastmans is 1/32" less than 1 1/8". Combined with their string spacing, which is wider than other 'standard' nut widths, its hard to (at least I couldnt) tell a difference. Their neck shapes have more to do with people liking them or not, a thinner, deeper V than most other imports. More violin like. As far as the tinny thin sound that people say they have, the newer ones are very well balanced. My 315 is loud and has lows, highs and everything in between. Great mando, especially for what I got it for new. The only knock that I have with it is the delicate finish. A con in the finish area but a pro in the tone dept which is more important IMO. I think brands like kentucky and the loar actually have a thinner tone but they have less overtones that many BGers aspire to have.

I'll add my voice to the Eastman fans. I owned many Eastman mandolins over the years, including 500s, 600s, 800s, A style and F style, f-hole and oval hole. I never had one that was less than good, and a few were great. As other have said, the model number had little to do with the sound quality; my 515 was the best F-style and my 604 was my best A. At the lower end (I've never played a 300 level, so I'm talking about the 500), they are one of the best bargains going, as you get more bang for your buck than any other mandolin out there. At the higher end, its more questionable; they're still great, but there are also other great options by the time you're laying out for 915.

The two Eastmans I kept were two of the David Grisman Dawg models, the Giacomel copy and the Bacon copy. Both were a real cut above. I recently sold the Bacon, and the new owner loves it. The Giacomel is a keeper for sure; beautiful to look at and wonderful to hear. I also own two Eastman guitars, a flattop and an archtop. Good, good stuff and really addressing a market need for good quality instruments at an intermediate price point.

I just got off the phone with my guitar repair guy. He's 66 yrs old and owned a music store back in New Jersey until the big chains forced him to close. Fortunately, he has great technical skills and is the only authorized Martin repairman in my area. He's also authorized for Gibson and I imagine a few others. He's good, honest and has been in the business long enough to have seen many changes. He's as old school as they come.

After telling me about some recent changes Gibson Corp. made in their customer service policies which he assures me will be bad for customers, he started to rave about this new guitar somebody brought him. He could not believe the attention to detail, playability, sound, etc. He asked me if I'd ever heard of Eastman?

Quote Originally Posted by MSGrady20 View Post
    I am wanting an F-style mandolin to add to my collection. I have wanted an F-style mandolin since my mandolin interest sparked, but couldn't make myself pay $1K or more for an instrument, because I didn't know if my spark would fizzle out and I would lose interest in the instrument. Luckily it didn't fizzle out and I really enjoy playing my Kentucky KM-150 whenever I get a chance.
    Fortunately you still don't have to spend a grand to get a very good f-style mando. As others have said, the Eastman MD-315 is a great mando. Here's a link to my thread with photos:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...mproved-md-315
    With upgraded tuners, tailpiece & hard case I have less than $800 in my mando. It plays well (I like the radiused fretboard) & sounds pretty darn good to me.

Just another happy MD-315 owner,

Frank

I'm glad that nearly everyone likes Eastman so much, but I'm afraid I don't seem to have had such luck with them.

A few years ago I advised a young girl to get an Eastman (largely based on the largely very favourable feedback on the Cafe here). I thought it was awful - neck not straight, cheap sounding tone - and the guy eventually took it back and gave her another one. It was better, but still not something I'd ever have recommended if I had tried it.
    This remains one of the most embarrassing things I think I've ever done in my musical life.

I've seen various others over the years and while they usually seem OK, I have trouble seeing what everyone sees in them, I'm afraid. Pretty thin sound to my ears.
    I've had generally better experiences with Kentucky, and I was also surprised at how good an entry-level Tonewood I tried recently was.

Sorry to seem like an old grump, but in the the interests of balance I think it's as well to add my unfavourable opinion to so many happy ones. Having said that, a friend who plays guitar with me sometimes recently got an Eastman and he really likes it. I guess it must be me!
    David A. Gordon

Good post David. Everyone appreciates balance and honesty. Of course we all just give our impressions, as thats all we got to give. I don't think it was just you. I've heard similar opinions. I'm so new to mando I should give that disclaimer prior to stating my impressions.

But someone pointed out that the recent Eastmans of the last couple of years are a different animal than the ones they made years back. They apparently had a jump up in tone quality. Maybe a different factory? Different plant foreman? different building techniques? Different emphasis? Who knows. (Steve Perry or Dennis as shop owners probably know).

I think the Kentucky series gets equal applause on the forum at these entry levels and higher applause at the mid levels(900 and up). And the kentucky series feel different so some will prefer that thicker neck feel, and others will prefer the slimmer neck feel depending on hand size and what you're used to. So they are both worth checking out.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I have a MD 605 and think the construction and build is fine but I'm starting to think ideally I want something a little drier sounding and less chimey. The lower note can get a little honky at times and the neck is a little too narrow for me. I played an old beatup Washburn the other day that and that had the sound I wish I had. I can make good sounds with the Eastman but someday I'll probably get something else

I hope I don't embarrass myself, I've only been playing 8 months but here's noodiling so you can hear what I'm talking about

Blog Entries

I like Eastman's. I have now played quite a few of The Loars. Each one had the clear edge over the Eastmans I have tried in flat out volume. If you want to pick in the pasture, a The Loar would fill the bill. BUT, Eastman mandos have plenty of volume for any purpose I would want, and I think Eastmans have a much more full, polished, round, complete sound. I would choose an Eastman anyday over a The Loar. I also prefer the neck profile of Eastman. Very different than The Loar. If you don't like the way a mandolin feels in your hand, it doesn't matter (to me) how it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by The dman View Post
    I have a MD 605 and think the construction and build is fine but I'm starting to think ideally I want something a little drier sounding and less chimey. The lower note can get a little honky at times and the neck is a little too narrow for me. I played an old beatup Washburn the other day that and that had the sound I wish I had. I can make good sounds with the Eastman but someday I'll probably get something else

I hope I don't embarrass myself, I've only been playing 8 months but here's noodiling so you can hear what I'm talking about

Sounded good to me, I dont hear chimey but rather sustain. For this style of music I think the tone works better than a drier, woody more traditional BG sound would.

Quote Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
    Sounded good to me, I dont hear chimey but rather sustain. For this style of music I think the tone works better than a drier, woody more traditional BG sound would.
    I agree, it sounds really fine to me. As I mentioned earlier, I switched to J-75s and I would say they help remove some of the trebly sound from my Eastman. If you haven't tried them, that's a cheap and easy experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
    I agree, I didn't mean to say it sounded bad but I'm thinking Ideally I would keep it and get another mandolin to compliment it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laird View Post
    I agree, it sounds really fine to me. As I mentioned earlier, I switched to J-75s and I would say they help remove some of the trebly sound from my Eastman. If you haven't tried them, that's a cheap and easy experiment.
    I use J74's and I thought about trying a heavier gauge string but wasn't sure if my fingers would like that or what it would do to the tone

I think I'm going to try some GHS Silk & Bronze next. I'm using J74s now and want to see how they change the tone. There are a few threads about strings going on right now & the GHS SBs are getting some comments that make me think I'd like the difference in tone they would make.

Frank

Blog Entries

Hillary Reynolds (and 'Eastman Artist') plays an Eastman A-style mandolin (can anyone identify the model?).
    Very, very nice.

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

I'm a bit late to the party on this one. I have 2 eastman guitars, a loar archtop, and now an entry level loar mandolin. I concur that Eastman is much higher up the food chain than loar. My loars are fine for what they are, but i consider my Eastmans to be really nice instruments. I'm quite sure that Eastman has made some dogs, but when i replace my loar mandolin, Eastman will be high on my list

Blog Entries

I'll add my 2 cents, which is a snip from a message I posted in a different forum...

I started playing mandolin just over a year ago. At that time I was lucky enough to pick up a used Eastman 805 cheap. It's been lovely to play. Last weekend, I went to Mandolin Brothers and spent several hours playing some amazing insturments At the end of the day, when I got home and picked up my Eastman, the most amazing thing happened. I liked it more then just about everything else I played. From my perspective, the $13,000 Giacomel, the $11,000 1939 Gibson, the $8,000 Collings...to me...none of them sounded or played better then what I had at home.

It's music. What sounds best to me, may not be what sounds best to you. What feels right in my hands, might not in yours. All I know is: now that I'm comfortable with playing a mandolin, and now that I've played a bunch of different mandolins, I'm very happy with the Eastman I have, and wouldn't change it for the world.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ambihl For This Useful Post:

CalebEd Goistvegas 

Quote Originally Posted by ambihl View Post
    I'll add my 2 cents, which is a snip from a message I posted in a different forum...

I started playing mandolin just over a year ago. At that time I was lucky enough to pick up a used Eastman 805 cheap. It's been lovely to play. Last weekend, I went to Mandolin Brothers and spent several hours playing some amazing insturments At the end of the day, when I got home and picked up my Eastman, the most amazing thing happened. I liked it more then just about everything else I played. From my perspective, the $13,000 Giacomel, the $11,000 1939 Gibson, the $8,000 Collings...to me...none of them sounded or played better then what I had at home.

It's music. What sounds best to me, may not be what sounds best to you. What feels right in my hands, might not in yours. All I know is: now that I'm comfortable with playing a mandolin, and now that I've played a bunch of different mandolins, I'm very happy with the Eastman I have, and wouldn't change it for the world.
    Excellent post. I've pretty much come to the same conclusions. I've played some great stuff, but I'm usually not too sad to put it back on the wall. There was a certain Collings that haunted me for a long time but I got over it. I think the longer you play your instrument, the better you not only get at music, but you get better at that particular instrument. You learn it's strengths and weaknesses, like your own voice. No one voice can do it all, but one learns to live with what one has and make it work. Contentment is a wonderful thing.

22. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

ambihl