Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Eastman...Or not to Eastman, that is the question.

Default Re: To Eastman...Or not to Eastman, that is the question.

Have not played a Loar, but am extremely happy with my Eastman 605 (A), in terms of sound, playability and quality. It sounds like a mandolin costing twice as much money (even with me playing it). What it doesn't sound like is a high-end mandolin like a fine Gibson or a Heiden or a Kimble. You get what you pay for, but in this case it's an excellent value for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientMatingCalls View Post
    In my opinion the Loar isn't on the same level as Eastman. Bear in mind I have only experienced a single instrument from each maker. I may have gotten a subpar The Loar. I really dislike the finish on The Loar instruments. The finish is necessarily thick.

Both have several flaws as far as fit and finish go. That is to be expected with imports at this price range. The Eastman for instance, seems prone to finish checking. This is not something that bothers me.

I much prefer the materials, sound and construction of Eastman.
    I meant to say the finish is unnecessarily thick on the Loar instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    The Eastman mandolins I've played have a less woody, bass-y sound than some bluegrass players prefer; they tend to be clear, with more mid-range and treble. If that's not your preference, Loar or Kentucky may be more your speed.
    I bought an Eastman 515 within the past year and am very happy with it. When I was shopping around I considered the Loar and Kentucky as well and while I thought I would prefer a more woody tone, I was drawn in by the clarity of the Eastman. I put a set of flatwounds (FW-74) and I think the tone became more woody, or at least less chimey than the J-74 strings. I also played Kentucky's that I liked, but wanted to go with the radiused fretboard on the Eastman. I couldn't find a Loar to play at the time, so I'm not sure about that.

If I was a more professional player, I might want a $5k Collings, but for where I'm at now, I couldn't beat the value of my Eastman. I haven't played the 815, but from what I've read the differences seem cosmetic. My previous mandolin was a Michael Kelly with a built in Fishman pickup. I didn't like the sound plugged in myself, but I can't speak for the Eastman 605 directly.

JD

I put a set of flatwounds (FW-74) and I think the tone became more woody, or at least less chimey than the J-74 strings.
    I just purchased a 515 (haven't even got it, yet). I also think I'm going to want to (from what I read about others' Eastmans) get the tone you're seeking (or, were). Funny, the guy at themandolinstore suggested the J74's.

Can two 515's be that different? I'm not asking this in a doubting manner. I have no experience with mandolins, other than loving hearing them and playing alongside them.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jv nc View Post
    I just purchased a 515 (haven't even got it, yet). I also think I'm going to want to (from what I read about others' Eastmans) get the tone you're seeking (or, were). Funny, the guy at themandolinstore suggested the J74's.

Can two 515's be that different? I'm not asking this in a doubting manner. I have no experience with mandolins, other than loving hearing them and playing alongside them.
    I have an MD515 that I consider to be "golden" and it has the reputation in these parts as being extremely loud, great woody tone, with a great bark. I have played other MD515s off the same rack/same store where I got mine and I wouldn't have touched them. I have played other's MD515s at jams/festivals that were not the same as mine either...all in all they were pretty consistent, but mine is a special one; I'll never let it go!
    So bottom line, you gotta play before you pay; otherwise don't complain!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    I have an MD515 that I consider to be "golden" and it has the reputation in these parts as being extremely loud, great woody tone, with a great bark. I have played other MD515s off the same rack/same store where I got mine and I wouldn't have touched them. I have played other's MD515s at jams/festivals that were not the same as mine either...all in all they were pretty consistent, but mine is a special one; I'll never let it go!

Many people don't have dealers of specific brands they are curious about in their area and have to rely on YouTube videos at best to make decisions. That's just a fact of life for many of us in more rural states and areas. I'm VERY pleased with the Breedlove KO that arrived to me yesterday, but because it's American-made I had more faith that it would be "decent" at least. With many other instruments (that I've bought from ebay for example), I have to rely on the luck of the draw. I wouldn't probably do that if I were spending thousands of dollars, but any time I buy something online that's sub-$2K... I generally just take my chances. Having said that... I buy most of my instruments from my local shop, as I did with the Breedlove. But he had to order it. He also recently ordered and received a Breedlove FF that he ordered for another customer. Now that he's had two of us be the guinea pigs, he's ordered another FF to hang on the wall for sale.

Base your decision on the actual instrument after playing it. Eastman, like most instruments in this price range are inconsistent. I have played some superb ones, and some clinkers. Don't buy it, uless you play it and love it! Good luck.
    RB - (Wolfman Bob)
    Lawrence Smart - 2 Point
    Flatiron - F5 - Artist
    Gibson - F12
    Gibson - A-50
    Flatiron - Pancake
    Fender FM 60 E

First of all, I'm not complaining. Secondly, I bought the 515 from a person I felt comfortable buying from.....in another state - at a fair price. If I were buying a top of the line instrument.......heck, I can't even say what I was going to. I recently bought a new Martin 000-28H from an online retailer (new), and it's a great guitar.

If I find I love the mandolin, I'll definitely play anything I pluck down thousands for. But, for a used MD515; used; for my 1st mandolin (@ $650); from a reliable seller (who's also a fellow grasser) ------well, I'm feeling pretty good about it.

I'm not sure I'll even be able to discern what's "woody" v. what I have, until I've played for a while. I was SIMPLY seeking a little info. from those who own the 515's (and, I appreciate their responses).

First of all, I'm not complaining....
    Man
    I do have a communication challenge (and I thought it was a man vs. woman thing!)
    The complaint statement was a generality thing, should have made that clear. Sounds like you might have made out OK, good luck with it...my overall point was that I've played, I guess 7 MD515s over the last couple of years and mine is the only one I would have purchased....No worries dude!

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

I've had my MD-515 for about five years now, bought second-hand over the internet. It's a sweet sounding mando, though I switched last year to J-75s because I wanted a heartier sound. That helps. I would describe the tone as fairly complex, but pretty (for better or worse).

As I mentioned in another post, I played a Loar that someone brought to our weekly jam and was blown away by its volume. It made my Eastman sound meek, and made me consider putting my Tone Gard back on (though I've been playing through a mike so I've resisted). While the Loar was loud, its tone was nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing (to me) as the Eastman. 'Course it's a fairly new instrument, and so its tone may mellow a bit. At this point I would describe it as strident and a little tinny. I would also say it had a more bluegrassy sound than my Eastman.

Someday, if money permits, I'd love to get a Collings. (I know there are even better mandos out there, but I can't see spending more than a couple thousand on an instrument with all the other demands on my finances.) Till then, I'm pretty happy with my Eastman. I think you will be, too.

Oh, one more thing: I played an Eastman MD-315 that had a nice bark and was louder than my 515, so don't be afraid to look at the 300 level.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
    Many people don't have dealers of specific brands they are curious about in their area and have to rely on YouTube videos at best to make decisions. That's just a fact of life for many of us in more rural states and areas. I'm VERY pleased with the Breedlove KO that arrived to me yesterday, but because it's American-made I had more faith that it would be "decent" at least. With many other instruments (that I've bought from ebay for example), I have to rely on the luck of the draw. I wouldn't probably do that if I were spending thousands of dollars, but any time I buy something online that's sub-$2K... I generally just take my chances. Having said that... I buy most of my instruments from my local shop, as I did with the Breedlove. But he had to order it. He also recently ordered and received a Breedlove FF that he ordered for another customer. Now that he's had two of us be the guinea pigs, he's ordered another FF to hang on the wall for sale.
    I get it, re: availability of dealers.

I would point out though that I have 2 friends that have made the 5-6 hr mobile trip to the Mandolin Store in Arizona, from here in SoCal; because they precisely wanted to play before pay!

Man
    I do have a communication challenge (and I thought it was a man vs. woman thing!)
    The complaint statement was a generality thing, should have made that clear.
    Sorry. I guess you threw me a curve when you quoted me and replied.

From what I've heard, based on the dozen or so Eastmans I've put in my hands, they do seem to lack the "woody" and "bassy" tone that some players love. My first mando was some sort of Kentucky A-style (380s? discontinued model I scored for under $100 on eBay). Its tone was woody, dry, and very loud. I liked the sound way better than my Eastman, but it was a rebuilt instrument that had been destroyed and the neck wouldn't allow for good playability: such a shame! The Eastman "sound" seems to be more modern, bell-like, and probably a bit more versatile overall. And I've come to enjoy it over the years. From what I've heard Collings is kind of like this, though a lot more refined and complex. For what I do, my Eastman could be the last mandolin I ever need. It's a better instrument than I am a mandolin player.

Sorry. I guess you threw me a curve when you quoted me and replied.
    It's all good dude!

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Originally Posted by Dr H
    And here I thought you were going to ask for oppinions on whether or not you should attend the Eastman School of Music.
    In lovely downtown Rochester NY, and a great school it is!
    Now that's a Kodak moment

I've got a 515 and it is really mid-rangey to my ears. It's a pretty instrument and plays well, but if I could go back in time I would go with a "the loar."

Quote Originally Posted by rb3868 View Post
    Now that's a Kodak moment
    With Kodak in bankruptcy, those "moments" are fewer and fewer. Glad that George Eastman endowed the music school back when Kodak was a corporate giant, and money flowed freely. Thirty thousand plus Kodak employees when I moved to Rochester, less than a quarter of that now.

The company's giving away its buildings, demolishing others. Mass production of photographic film has gone the way of the buggy whip and the eight-track tape. We're not "Kodak Town" any more, really. End of a more-than-a-century era here.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I bought an Eastman 504 for live use - I didn't want to subject my Vanden to the treatment instruments have to put up with from me on stage any more. That was about 18 months ago, and I've been very happy with it; it arrived more or less unplayable, but after reading Rob Meldrums excellent Ebook on how to set up a mandolin yourself, I found it relatively easy to get it in a good playable condition (thanks, Rob!). I have unconventional taste as regards tone - I like a mandolin with plenty of sustain and probably a more trebly timbre than most; the Eastman delivers on both counts (with J74s). The quality of the workmanship is certainly very high considering the price of the instrument.
    For those who have an issue with buying chinese products, as far as I could find out, Eastman has a good reputation regarding labour conditions:
    Over the years I had heard rumors of poor working conditions in China. This is certainly not the case at the two facilities I visited. The Eastman building was originally a clothing factory. The rooms are huge with large windows running the entire length of the walls. Workers, wearing identical Eastman String jackets or aprons to protect street clothes (the women sport high-heeled toe-crunching shoes, fake Versace, Gucci and Armani handbags resting on the floor), sit at individual tables or desks with additional lighting from low hanging florescent fixtures. The rooms are airy, sunny and overlook courtyards where willow trees and blooming roses grow. Though there are 40-50 workers in the room there was total silence; yet a feeling of cooperative camaraderie along with concentration prevailed. What was shocking was the incredible speed and precision with which the makers worked. I watched a woman cut a violin f-hole in 10 minutes! Friedgood smiles: ‘The work ethic here is really scary. Our people come in early and leave late. Even though Saturday is optional most are here six days a week.’ Employees are paid by the piece and the better the craftsmanship the more they are paid. Wages are between $150 and $200 per month. This seems very low, but the cost of living in China is far below that of the West. (In Xi’an we had a fabulous 16-course meal in the restaurant’s private dining room for eight. The bill was about $25.) (from http://The Strad, May 2005, if anyone is aware of documentation that contradicts this, please let me know, as it is an issue that concerns me, too).

I would certainly buy another Eastman.
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

Here is the only issue I have had with Eastman. I posted this before in another thread as well. I bought a 505 from a very well respected dealer in Lansing Michigan. Played it for about 5-6 months, did not adjust anything. Didn't touch the bridge, truss rod, nothing but change strings a couple of times. I liked the mandolin. It sounded good, played good, fit and finish was good, etc. Only reason I traded it in was to get a new hiscox case for another mandolin that was being built for me. When they looked at the mandolin to give me trade in value they said the truss rod was maxed out and they need to send it back to the dealer but everything was fine because it was still under warranty and they still gave me good trade in value. Just wondering how I could have bought it brand new, not adjusted anything at all, bring it back in 6 months or so and it have a maxed out truss rod unless it came that way from the factory or it was done at the dealer when I bought it.

hmmm... a very well respected dealer in Lansing. Who could that be?

Registered User Mando Calrissian's Avatar

I own an 805d (two pointer). When I first got it, I wasn't overjoyed with it. The bass was really thin and the mids were overly punchy, it was miles away from "deep and woody". It wasn't unpleasant at all, just a really different sound than what I was used to. Now, I have played the bejeezus out of it in the past year and the sound is really starting to open up. The bass is still not super deep, but it is very dynamic and louder than all get out. The mids and highs are starting to come into line and I am really enjoying the heck out of the sound now. It has a plunky, percussive response with the bell-like tones....good combo. Not a traditional bluegrasser by any means, just different. The finish is 95% gorgeous. There are a couple of spots where some finish was left on the binding before it was nitro'd and looks a bit amateur, but the spots are tiny and can only be seen on close inspection. All in all, it's a really good mandolin. For the price, it's an OUTSTANDING mandolin.

23. The following members say thank you to Mando Calrissian for this post:

rb3868 

their neck profile is what it is .. my buddy has one a rather sharp V.. compared
    to the rounder V of my old A Gibson's..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

ok .. I have an eastman f hole - D305. Nice to play , pretty good sound etc. holds its own in a session. This weekend I paid a visit to my favourite emporium( The Music Room- Cleckheaton) to pick up an N1 Flat Iron, my first American construct. I hadn't been playing an afternoon and already my playing partner was saying 'the brakes are off.' I do second that the eastman's are prone to scratch marks etc- but , there again, if you are working regularly that is whats going to happen anyway. I think you will find that you pays your money....But I am already thinking along the lines of .. if I can do another trade in a couple of years , Ill maybe go for either the dawg copy- or , perhaps an Oakwood two pointer. I am no purist- so the 'Gibsons rule' doesn't apply here!!

Wow, this thread has been going strong for a while. Thanks for all the info and because of everyones positive notes on the Eastman 515 I believe I may look a little harder at that model instead of the 815.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGrady20 View Post
    Wow, this thread has been going strong for a while. Thanks for all the info and because of everyones positive notes on the Eastman 515 I believe I may look a little harder at that model instead of the 815.
    Don't forget to check out the Eastman MD 305 and 315. Not everyones cup of tea, but they just may be the best bang for the buck on entry priced mandos right now. I have compared it to much higher priced mandos and I'm still quite pleased with it after 8 months. I can't say I don't lust for others, but I also can't see ever selling it.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.