Thread: Elderly Instruments

Default Elderly Instruments

I am considering buying a loar lm-400 from Elderly Instruments. Does anyone have any knowledge of these folks? They appear from there website to do excellent set up work. Looks like they are a top notch dealer?

Default Re: Elderly Instruments

My first mando was a Rover RM-50 from Elderly. It arrived in perfect shape, well set-up and ready to play out of the box. I still use it as a "beater" and it sounds pretty good for a $150 instrument.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Welcome to the Cafe'!

Elderly is indeed a top notch outfit and has been for years. I have dealt with them for a long time. They have great service and if they say an instrument includes set up rest assured it will be superb. They are of course not the only dealer for whom this is true. I have personal experience with The Mandolin Store and they also can make the same claims. I have no personal experience with Folkmusician.com or Janet Davis Music, but by reputation they also can claim to have great service and set ups. All four of these outfits get rave revues here. You can't go wrong with any one of them. Good luck!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

They are likely the best acoustic dealer to deal with on ordering instruments you have not seen or played. If you don't like it they will take it back. I have bought dozens of instruments from them, used and new. I have only sent one back for full refund.

I have also dealt with them and can attest to their professionalism. I would also compare prices at The Mandolin Store and Folkmusician. All three are honest, reliable outfits. I would buy the Loar from one of them before I would from some eBay seller who might offer you a slightly better price but will sell you one of the Loar models the other three sent back because it didn't pass muster. Also, the three sellers mentioned will do a professional setup which is real important to make a Chinese import playable.

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Top notch.....a number of threads that have covered this issue if you want further reinforcement.

Blog Entries

I have bought from Elderly for a very long time, long before there was an internet. Among the very best you could deal with.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Top notch.
    Even when i returned a rare pricey archtop, not a problem.

However, i would suggest that in buying 'esoteric' instruments, including mandos and archtops, the average sales dude may not actually play or know these very well. In the larger scheme, the finer points of sound, playing up the neck, that he may have of have of electrics and flatops, for example, might not be as refined as your own.

This 'average sales dude' might be the person giving you an in hand description or an opinion on how it sounds, may vary from your own, so, ask thoughtful questions to help you determine if you're on the same page. Obviously no one has the same opinion, but just be aware.

Do this too to help the person, ie, is the neck straight?, frets?, finish?, weight?, etc etc in other words have your own checklist to ask on the phone. Do not expect them to point out things, as they may not realize them as being significant , you might feel otherwise.

It has often saved me from having a 'fer sure' purchase shipped because i learned of something i did not want because i asked.

I have, and would in the future, buy from elderly with complete confidence.

Thanks for the information. There is no mandolin shop anywhere near where I live so I have to resort to internet buying. Your info really makes me feel better about buying my first mandolin from Elderly.

Well lets see, I have bought acoustic guitars, a bouzouki, mandolin, squareneck dobro, banjo, instruments cases, along with strings, picks, etc, etc all from Elderly Instruments. Elderly is the cream of the crop!

And as mentioned above you will also have super customer service with the Mandolin Store, Folkmusician and Jane Davis just to name a few.

I've purchased from Elderly many times, including a Martin HD35 limited edition guitar.
    They're great. I would suggest ordering by telephone rather than online for instruments, for reasons mentioned above. Best of Luck! Don't forget to post pictures!

I have known Stan for over thirty years, the store is as straight up and fair as one could ever ask for. The shop does great work, anytime you have a question about something you get from them, you will get a straight answer, shop with confidence from Elderly!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Elderly is a top-notch outfit to deal with. Reliable supplier with excellent customer service.

Blog Entries

I have bought many instruments from them and they allowed me to take some home to try out. (I live about an hour away) They are first rate and where I always send people. I have never had a problem.

15. The following members say thank you to Jesse Harmon for this post:

My Grandfather bought from Elderly for years and so have I without any problems whatsoever.I highly recommend them!

I am a long-time Elderly customer, since long before internet sales. Heck, since long before the internet. I have purchased guitars, mandolins, mandola, violin, and innumerable strings, accessories, books and CDs. Stan and his people are honest folks, with great customer focus and service.

To the point made by stevedenver about sales people above, when I was looking for a mandolin a few years ago, I had identified a couple on their website that looked promising, and called about them. The person I talked to suggested that I call at a specific time to talk with the person who was their "mando guy;" a player and teacher. It's been long enough ago that I don't remember his name, but he spent a long time on the phone with me, describing and playing various mandolins that I was interested in. It was really nice to have someone knowledgeable about the instrument who could understand what I was asking and what I was looking for.

NFI at all, just a long-time satisfied customer.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

As already stated, deal with confidence with Elderly. I, too, am a long time and repeat customer. I think the entire staff mirror the integrity of Stan Werbin. Nuff said. I notice there are no negative comments. That should speak loudly to you.
    Dusty Oliver

I only have one negative thing to say, they are too easy to spend money with! I should live so long to find anyone I am as pleased to spend my hard earned money with! How terrible!!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I only have one negative thing to say, they are too easy to spend money with! I should live so long to find anyone I am as pleased to spend my hard earned money with! How terrible!!
    They're 3 hours away from me - I hope they never come any nearer!

D.H.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hicks For This Useful Post:

Exactly!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Excellent company............first class service.
    D MAC S

Go there and see it for yourself. It is a pilgrimage worth the effort. I live 6 hours away. If it was closer they'd have more of my $$$.

I'd say the point's pretty well been made by now - are you feeling more confident, Carolina Rookie?

I'll just add my Elderly story to give you an idea of what they're like: I bought my first Stefan Sobell bouzouki from them, back when Stefan was still selling through dealers, and years later - literally, at least ten or twelve years later - I happened to run into one of their sales staff at the Folk Alliance conference. Without any hesitation at all he said "Hey, Robin, good to see you - you still liking your Sobell?" No lie, it took my breath away that he remembered after that long. That's the kind of connection Elderly has with their customers.

see post 9

Steve, you are Sooooo much a lawyer, I can tell.
    Timothy F. Lewis