Thread: fretboard extention defretting on Loar 600

Default fretboard extention defretting on Loar 600

Just checking the forum to see if anyone has any suggestions for defretting and lowering the fretboard extention on a Loar 600. It looks great,but clicks when you're playing. No, i am not a luthier(sp), but I am a dentist,and I have access to lab equipment,and done bridge grinding,etc.,before on mandolins. I figure if I don't have to numb the patient first,and if I'm very careful in covering the top,etc., and go very slow, I can do this! But I probably need some coaching on what "not" to do. Any one have any input?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: fretboard extention defretting on Loar 600

Go Here.
    (Frets.com)
    Oh, and it's also called "scooping"
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Registered User calgary.fiddler's Avatar

If you dont mind the look of it, it's easy enough to just saw off the end chunk. Thats what I did with my Loar 600, doesnt look pretty, but its easy and effective.
    https://www.facebook.com/thewaronlight

https://thewaronlight.bandcamp.com

2003 Collings MF-5
    The Loar LH-600-VS
    Gold-Tone OB-250
    Martin 00-15M
    Eastman E20D

Blog Entries

Just be aware that on the LM520/600/700 the fret slots can be really deep, almost to the point there is hardly anything left if you try to clear them completely. Filling the slots with 'false frets' is quite a good idea on these.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

easy to do - i didn't even remove the strings. wedge your mandolin between some cushions - so it doesn't wobble - remove the frets with pointed pliers and file away s.l.o.w.l.y. and carefully, making sure to keep the file absolutely flat. as almeriastrings says, the fret slots are deep but if you let the white binding be your guide, viz. depth, you shouldn't go wrong. use a fine grain file.

6. The following members say thank you to billkilpatrick for this post:

I did the same thing as Bill on both my mandolins, just be slow and careful... If you're careful you can save some of the ebony dust and mix up a little paste to fill the cracks. I didn't save the dust but used some ebony wood filler and worked it into the remaining slots. Looks nice but better than that, no clicking. I've seen the silver wire and it looks cool, I actually like the look of a scooped extension it looks kind of classic.
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Just be aware that on the LM520/600/700 the fret slots can be really deep, almost to the point there is hardly anything left if you try to clear them completely. Filling the slots with 'false frets' is quite a good idea on these.

I have now scooped quite a few of these (maybe 20), and Almeriastrings is correct. I have not had one that I couldn't get down through the slots yet, but it comes REALLY close. There is just enough binding left above the black strip to look good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scoop1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	99955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LM-700_scooped.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	99956
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

well done, robert - i chickened out before removing all traces of the fret slots completely. you can see a close-up of some decorative frets (faux frets?) placed on chris thile's mandolin in this video. i rubbed some bees wax into mine, just to see how the highlighted fret slots might look, but removed it soon after - i think the flat brown "diving board" look is better:

Wow ! - Robert,that's not a scoop,it's a trench. Why are the fret slots so deep,does the fretwire have such a long tang ?.
    My Lebeda also has 'faux' frets.I can live with the look,but no frets is better IMHO,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lebeda without s-p. (Medium).JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	99958
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan,

I have mostly scooped (trenched!) LM-700 and LM-600, but having done a couple of 520 I can say that all are all consistantly deep. The fret tang is standard, so I am not sure if there is any reasoning. It doesn't seem to hurt anything other than making it more difficult to scoop.

I kinda like the faux fret thing. For anyone a little timid about taking their The Loar extension down below the fret slots, fretting it with ebony can yield good clean results.

Take it down to the level you like, cut some ebony pieces to glue/hammer into the slots, allow to dry, level and if you did a good job it will be hard to tell you filled the slots.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Hi Robert - It might be that they cut the slots a tad (lot ?) deeper to ensure that the frets bed in ok. Better than sending it back to be-re-cut if they're too shallow,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.