With Best Regards,
    Bob Pomicter, Jr.
    Propietor,
    Studio 46 Music Study Center
    181 Main Street
    Hackettstown, NJ 07840
    (908) 852-2040

studio-46

So on the advice of some here I ordered the Ultimate collection of violin methods and studies. In the first few days of January. I used paypal and saw the payment go through on the 5th. well no cd. I started to worry, no order confirmation by email so I emailed no reply three mails. I decided to call, got a machine and they returned my call and I saw it on caller id and called back. Their internet provider who also handles email implemented a spam filter and some orders were misplace. The were very responsive and have sent the cd. They offered to send it no charge for the trouble and they still may but I told them I understand email problems and was more then willing to still pay for the product. They may or may not credit me I think they will but wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again. Very nice people I delt with.
    Moral of the story is be patient but not to patient and talk to some one more often then not they won't let you down. John

Oh he did ask how advanced a violin player I was and when I said I wasn't that it was for working with a mandolin I think he was surprised. Just thought it was funny. John
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

While I've had good luck with eBay for the most part, I generally order sheet music (and CD-ROM sheet music) from established stores. The CD-ROM you bought off eBay is available is most sheet music stores. You might try looking locally. If they don't carry it, they'll probably order it for you. The CD has a wealth of material there, and it's worth the wait.
    John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"

Operaguy I didn't order it off ebay. I ordered it from the site above.
    Also I was mistaken the gentleman, Bob, from studio-46 wasn't surprised about the mandolin but in a memory he had. Here is his reply to my later email.
    Hiya John;

Thanks for the reply! I am pleased that we got things straightened out... I
    have made some adjustments to my company email and also at PayPal itself to hopefully prevent further problems:
    But that is *not* why I am writing you now. The reason for this post is because of the mandolin! (Yep! Believe it or not). I am not quite sure if you detected that I was having a bit of a problem hearing you this evening in our 9pm phone conversation at the studio... But there was some piano, guitar, bass and all playing going on.
    From 8-9pm, we allow students to sort of "jam" in the unused studios, so, forgive me if I said "Sioux Falls, SC!"... And I also thought that you said
    you were using the violin studies for your guitar students.... (I do that,
    so no joke there) Well... You hit us during "happy hour"... A vital part
    in our education program at the studio where almost anything musical goes,
    and I was just in the process of shutting it down (or, "filling the
    briefcase") But more importantly... MANDOLIN! I know this sounds weird, but, I have mandolin stories of my own! I never
    played one, but when I was about 22 or so, I met an elderly gentleman from
    Germany who was a member of a Mandolin Orchestra in his youth. He had all
    the mandolins (save for the basso). We were introduced by a health care
    worker, that was a guitar student of mine, to get together with him and talk
    music. Well... Long story short... Before I knew it, Hans pulled all of this
    wonderful music out of a cedar chest... All the parts, scores, etc.
    Well, back then, I was just a young longhaired kid that played guitar. Hans
    didn't know that I was "classically trained" (in the sense of the love of
    classics and a guitar teacher that taught me, judiciously, the value of
    sight-reading!) I spent many Sunday afternoons playing the guitar parts of a mandolin orchestra... Sight reading... And began to view the "mandolin orchestra" as I would a "symphonic orchestra". I gradually learned that the mandolin had its instruments that paralleled the string choir, etc... And even more deeply, understood the role of the guitar in that ensemble as well.
    Well... I won't bore you with further tales from this crypt, but I would
    like to make a donation to your Mandolin Community...
    I am gonna send you a few CD-Sheet Music CD's with quartet music...
    Beethoven, Haydn, a some more. PLEASE donate/give them to your local
    Mandolin Orchestra society... I am sure they will delight in them (maybe a
    transcription or transposition might be needed, here and there). In the meantime, I am going to visit the links you have given me!
    Best wishes!

Bob

Well about the music he is donating who should I send it to, Scot T?
    Needless to say I'm the only mando player I know of in Sioux Falls and there is no quartet. So if you know of a good place to donate these post them!
    Thanks John

Pleasant story! Thanks for sharing it with us, John! Some mixed emotions in the beginning, but such nice end! I also noticed, that the "other" people (non mandolin players) are easily inspired by the mandolin and get soon involved in the mandolin stuff, others are keeping sweet memories... A great instrument it is!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by (reesaber @ Jan. 27 2005, 01:00)
    Operaguy I didn't order it off ebay. I ordered it from the site above.
    My apologies. I guess when I saw that you'd paid via PayPal, my crazy brain somehow interpreted that as being an eBay purchase. Obviously my mistake (one thing I am good at making)
    John Craton

Hey all yea it was a good ending but I still the names of some mandolin quartets that can use some music he is donating. The music is
    "Well... I won't bore you with further tales from this crypt, but I would
    like to make a donation to your Mandolin Community...
    I am gonna send you a few CD-Sheet Music CD's with quartet music...
    Beethoven, Haydn, a some more. PLEASE donate/give them to your local
    Mandolin Orchestra society... #I am sure they will delight in them (maybe a
    transcription or transposition might be needed, here and there)." as Bob wrote. So this donation is from Bob at studio 46. Help please. I need to find them a good home. John

Most string quartet music is easily playable by the classical mandolin quartet vs. the romantic quartet which uses a guitar instead of mandocello or liuto.

One group I know of is the Baltimore Mandolin Quartet of which Jonathan Jensen, who often posts here is a member.

You can also find a list of other mandoli groups here.

I would imagine that much of the music on those CDs would be std string quartet repertoire. Some could also be played by orchestra as well.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I miswrote when I said string quartet, the intentions are for a mandolin orchestral society. Thanks for the link Jim, hopefully Jonathan Jensen will post or pm me or email or something. I find this all kind of exciting. John

The Haydn CD contains the parts of 76 quartets, "The Seven Last Words of Christ," and study scores of 58 of Haydn's most famous quartets. I don't have the Beethoven CD, but I would assume it contains all of his quartets as well. These are excellent resources and save you tons of money as opposed to buying printed editions.
    John Craton

Jonathan Jensen is also an active member of the Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra. I believe his cafe name is Jonathan (oddly enough).

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

August Watters contacted me so I'll send it off to him when I receive it. He tells me he is a founding member of the New England mandolin ensemble. I hope I got that right. I just went with the one that contacted me first by PM or Email. I figured if they went to the trouble they'll use it. I sincerely hope he will post a link to a some mp3 so we can all hear how it comes together. Thanks everyone John

I emailed Bob form studio-46 to inform him of the music's future home. I also invited him to join in here if he so desires. Thanks John

HIya All!

Even though I post as "xtro181" (a long-held handle, which has a back story I wont get into), I would like to say HELLO to all of you guys and gals as the afore-mentioned "Bob: from Studio-46."

I would just like to say that I find it wonderful that Manolin Orchestras are, indeed, alive and well in the USA. I won't get into a debate of the importance (or lack there-f) of the guitar in the ensemble, for, frankly, gentlemen, I have a very limited experience, persoanlly, in my knowledge. (Most of it summed up in a quote further back).

All I can say is that I have very fond memories, and that even as a teacher of music, I was educated.

I am now age 52. An oldster of sorts, but I manage to "stay young" because I have adopted a philosophy that one can always learn, and to TEACH is actually, really, the art of Continaul Learning.

My philosophy is not well received... but none-the-less, I believe it.

My most "simple" introduction to mandolin, in a more serious study in college, was the Vivaldi D Major Concerto. (Off-hand.. don't remember to Opus No., but, it probably is the best known). I performed the piece, as a guitar major (yes, with some cello/continuo notes added, in an Eischig (sp) edition... (very expensive imported editions, but, at the time, the only ones' availalbe)

Please do not discount the value of good classical guitar! (Lute, luito, etc.). Honestly, gentlemen, I really dpo not know much more about about the role of the guitar in a mandolin orchestra other than my own experience, but, I encourage all to make room for a string instrument (albiet, tuned in fourths, with a third between 3&2) that, to my very lijited knowledge, has a history of inclusion in a mandolin orchestra.

Best regards,
    Bob
    Just me

Well it is on it's way.
    "I don't know if I can shoot some snow your way, but I can tell you that
    coming your way will be a package of the Mozart, Betthoven and Haydn
    quartets and Quintets, for you to send along to the New England Mandolin
    folks"
    I hope they like it. I will send it to August as soon as it arrives. On the funny side apparently the email issues were created internally. Bob set a wifi (wireless hotspot) in the studio for the instructors and students to use. Apparently some of the students were trying to get into some Adult content and using paypal. The instructor trying to prevent this blocked some things causing all the problems with communications. It seems the issue has been resolved. Good for them. Happy ending and I'm quite happy with the cd sheet music of violin methods. Now just have to figure out were to start. John #

Received the cd's today looks like it will be close to 5000 pages of music for August Watters' New England Mandolin Ensemble. It also had Brahms on one of the cd's. I may have to buy these some time in the future. They also sent me a refund for my earlier purchase. I even asked them not to because I know how those spam programs can mess things up but they did it any way. Happy Ending John