Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson F5G or Weber Yellowston

Default Gibson F5G or Weber Yellowston

If you had to choose, which would you pick and why?

The Weber has wide nut and block inlays. I'm not a total bluegrass player but like picking it. I can't play either due to location but have heard both. Both sound great.

I've made up my mind but was curious what others would do.

Dan

Default Re: Gibson F5G or Weber Yellowston

New or used?
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Hmmm tough decision. Not having played both side by side, but having played each in different shops, I'd say that there are great merits to each (what a cop out answer!). The quality of materials and craftsmanship on the Weber will probably be better in comparison to the Gibson. I, however, am quickly discovering that I like playing on thinner necks, so the 1-1/16'' nut width of the F5G would suit me better.

Speaking from opinion alone, I've not yet played a Weber that just "wowed" me. They're terrific instruments for sure, but I think I prefer the tone of the Gibsons just a little more.

Then again, I'm severely afflicted with MAS, so all mandolins sound darn fine. Oh well. All the best.
    Kimble #220
    R. Taylor Style 2 Sinker Redwood/Madagascar Rosewood

If you have made up your mind what we think shouldn't matter. Both can be quality instruments, and other than that without playing them what would I know? Go with what speaks to you and makes you happy.

Over the years I have owned a Flatiron F (Nashville), Weber Fern Burst Bitterroot and a Weber Special Edition. I prefer the Weber wide neck and the modern mandolin sound.
    Last edited by Dan Co1e; Mar-04-2013 at 10:51pm. Reason: ..

Weber.

Weber for me, too. But it's your own opinion that matters. Buy the one that makes you the happiest. Either will be great. (I still vote for the Weber though!)
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I would go the other way and say the Gibson F5G. The mandolins coming from Gibson now are off the hook
    in quality and sound. Both are nice, but theres nothing like a Gibson
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

Blog Entries

I've liked the Bitter Root I owned and the Big Horn I still own. I haven't owned a Gibson but they're just as awesome. I have a wide nut, modern sound/alternate sounding mando so I would choose the Gibson for variety. How my opinion may help you, I don't know, but I thought to offer anyway since you asked. Either way you won't lose. If and when I get in the market for a new mando I will only buy used and already weathered. I want something that's been played a while. I ain't getting any younger, you know, and want to see if there's anything to this waking up/growing up/filling out thing.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

What you've described is an apples and oranges comparison. F5-Gs and Yellowstones don't sound at all similar. Add in Weber's large stock neck shape, wide nut, and radiused fretboard, compared to the Gibson's narrow nut width, slimmer neck, and flat board, and you have two completely different instruments.

I've owned three Yellowstones and one F5-G. My preference at this stage is for the more traditional Gibson sound and feel.

I've played on dozens of F5Gs and have to say they are great. Weber I've not played all the different models but do like the workmanship more so than the sound. I've seen a lot of pros out there using the F5G. Can't say I've seen any pros using Webers if that tells you anything. Maybe someone else can name a pro using a Weber on a regular bases. My hands tend to pick faster and smoother over a thinner neck but alot of that has to do with the set up and action it has on it.

12. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    I've seen a lot of pros out there using the F5G. Can't say I've seen any pros using Webers if that tells you anything. Maybe someone else can name a pro using a Weber on a regular bases.
    They have an Weber Artists page which I assume means they support them with Sierra Hull, Eva Holbrook and Gene Holders <excerpt - Artists with whom Gene has toured include Goose Creek Symphony, George Strait's Ace in the Hole Band (29 years and counting), Joan Baez, and Lyle Lovett's Large Band (10 years) <end>

They have an independent Artists page that is 17 pages long but Rhonda Vincent is on page four among other notables like Darrin Vincent, Scott Napier and Richie Owens (Dolly Parton) http://webermandolins.com/players/we...nb1oecfYIlMBT3

I've really enjoyed my Breedlove but I'm starting to get the itch for a Gibson type mando. MAS is rearing it's head again.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Dan - If they both sound great to you,then it's difficult choice. All i can say is that if maybe sometime in the future you decided to sell/trade it in,then maybe the Gibson would offer you a better exchange,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

These are not two mandolins which sound alike. I cannot stress that enough. If you're not aware of the difference, perhaps you'd better educate yourself. What you're getting here at the cafe is each persons personal preference. We're not signing the check and we won't be playing the instrument. That said, and for whatever it's worth, I have NEVER played or heard a Yellowstone that delivered as much sound as a good F5G. I have owned one for 8 years and do my best to play every one I lay my eyes on. There is a reason that you see them played onstage fairly frequently. Biased? Sure, admittedly. Don't take my word, or anyones' word. Find out yourself. Oh, well I just re-read the original post. Kinda reminds me of what's left on the track after a horse race. Never mind.
    Mike Snyder

Why don't you contact Dennis at the mandolin store? He has Gibson F5G autumn burst models in either 1 3/16" radiused fingerboard a or a 11/16" flat board. That way you exclude the Weber and you focus on the best model F5G to suit your playing and sound needs. Talk to Dennis about your preferences.

Only two instruments that I "used to own" and still regret selling. One was a Yellowstone.

For those with your thoughtful responses thank you! I'm pretty excited and was curious what people at the cafe would pick. I respect the peoples opinions here as I visit multiple times a day. I thought it would be fun to get people views. I realize I'm the one "writing the check" but I just wanted to get peoples views on why they play what they play as well. There are a lot of really good players on this website and I value their

But......the reason I hardly post here is because of guys like Mike Snyder. What is this line supposed to mean "Oh, well I just re-read the original post. Kinda reminds me of what's left on the track after a horse race. Never mind."

I just don't get it......what a jerk. Why even bother posting???

I thought it'd be something fun but instead I get told my post is Horsecrap....nice guy. Not even sure what that means??? But regardless thanks to those who did offer their insight. It's an exciting day for a mandolin player to finally get something they've been saving and practicing for years. Thanks again to all those who gave thoughtful responses!!!!

I love this website but I think I'll continue lurking instead of posting.

I'll let Mike answer for himself, but I don't think he meant it to be a comment on your post, even though it does read like that.

I'd personally choose the f5g, because I don't like a wide neck, and I'm much more drawn to the Gibson sound than the Weber sound.

20. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

The newer Gibsons are fabulous, I haven't heard any complaints on the recent models and mine is a wonderful instrument.

Everyone says to let your ears and fingers be your guide, but most people just don't have the option of playing 3 or 4 Gibsons and comparing them side by side with 3 or 4 Webbers, then come back the next day and pick the one that speaks to you. Sure, you can do that all day with guitars, but not mandolins.

Find a store that has both and call them and discuss your wants and needs. They do have the option of playing a bunch of different mandos, and will most likely steer you in the right direction. If they are blown away by one particular model, chances are you will be too. And most of them will have a 48 hour return policy, which is much longer than any test drive at the store.

Finally, if you've always wanted an X, you probably will never be truly happy with a Y.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    I would go the other way and say the Gibson F5G. The mandolins coming from Gibson now are off the hook
    in quality and sound. Both are nice, but theres nothing like a Gibson
    I agree. Gibson's are amazing from Dave Harvey.
    2012 Gibson F5 Goldrush 11/30/2012 #21119021
    1914 Gibson A #24926
    2008 Martin D-18 GE 1934 #1300194

Register Your Goldrush Here:
    https://www.facebook.com/F5Goldrush

I had a Weber Yellowstone that I sold on eBay a few years ago because I was never happy with the way it sounded...cast another vote for the Gibson F5G.

Quote Originally Posted by strings777 View Post
    Cast another vote for the Gibson F5G.
    +1
    Los Hermanos Cubero
    Youtube Channel
    Cubero's Facebook
    My Facebook
    Instagram:
    @hermanos_cubero
    @robertocubero_

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I'll let Mike answer for himself, but I don't think he meant it to be a comment on your post, even though it does read like that.
    Daniel, I won't speak for Mr. Snyder either. His comment does read like a direct insult, but I doubt he meant it that way.

Some time ago I took offense to a post on this forum. I thought it was a mean spirited, disrespectful cheap-shot, directed at the owners of some less-than-elite-brand mandolins. I responded by questioning the character of offending poster, much like you did (I did stop short of calling him a "jerk" though).
    Turns out, I'd misunderstood his meaning. In the future, I'll ask for clarification before I call for a duel.

If it turns out he really was being a 'jerk'...Lock and Load! Well...I mean your keyboard...Nothing else.

26. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Yeah, I'll have to agree with this. My main player is a Yellowstone and my backup is an A5G. The A5G is louder with a deeper resonance. Tried a few other Webers and they just don't seem to bark like the newer Gibsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    ... I have NEVER played or heard a Yellowstone that delivered as much sound as a good F5G.

Blog Entries

Daniel I think you misinterpreted Mike's comment. I think he was commenting on his own diatribe, having suddenly realised he didn't pick up all the information in your original post, especially the bit where you said you had already made up your mind.

It happens a lot here.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

29. The following members say thank you to Pete Jenner for this post: