Thread: Music Stores in Dublin, Ireland

Default Music Stores in Dublin, Ireland

My wife and I are visiting Dublin this summer and I am wondering if there are any good musical instrument stores where I can find a bowl back mandolin?

Default Re: Music Stores in Dublin, Ireland

Try Walton's - they used to be in Frederick Street - off Parnell Square. Mandolins are pretty scarce in Ireland.

Why would you look for a bowlback mandolin in Dublin? You would prob do better in England, at least if you wanted a vintage one. There were lots imported from Italy at around the turn of the last century. I don't know how many got over to Ireland.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

There's a good selection of shops in Dublin, the best selection of acoustic instruments I've seen lately is in the Dublin Guitar Centre on Exchequer Street. I'm not sure you'll find any bowl back mandolins though. Waltons is around the corner from the Dublin Guitar centre and further back from there heading back towards Grafton Street you'll find Music Maker which has a good selection of acoustic instruments upstairs. However the last time I was in Music Maker they had very few mandolins. Goodwins on Capel Street always has a few mandolins too. There are other shops outside Dublin such as The Sound Shop in Drogheda who stock Webber and Breedlove or if you're in Cork it's always worth a visit to Crowley's on McCurtin Street. In Kilkenny there's Essaness Music. To be honest I've never seen a bowl back mandolin in any of these shops but I have seen a few bowl back Bouzoukis. While I'm aware of good stores in Galway and Ennis I've never visited them.

Enjoy the journey, there's plenty of music related entertainment but just for the sake of saying you were there, have a pint in O'Donoghues it's the "birthplace" of Irish Folk music.

Blog Entries

Not meaning to hijack the thread but---I will be in the Donegal and Galway area this Sept. and would appreciate any tips on the music shops and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Harmon View Post
    Not meaning to hijack the thread but---I will be in the Donegal and Galway area this Sept. and would appreciate any tips on the music shops and such.
    Clareen Banjos in Clarinbridge, Co. Galway, just outside of Galway City - lots of tenor banjos and a fair amount of mandolins too. Tom Cussen is the shop owner/banjo builder and a gem of a fella.

If you're passing through Clare on your way to Galway you could check out Custy's in Ennis.

Mulroy Music in Milford, Co. Donegal

Also check out the event listings at the Irish Music Magazine website www.irishmusicmagazine.com to see what festivals will be happening when you're there as that will be the tail end of the festival season.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Blog Entries

Thanks for this info Jill. I bought a guitar in San Sebastian, Spain and carried it home on the plane between my legs from Paris to Detroit. At least a mandolin will be a little more comfortable if I get carried away with the festival spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Clareen Banjos in Clarinbridge, Co. Galway, just outside of Galway City - lots of tenor banjos and a fair amount of mandolins too. Tom Cussen is the shop owner/banjo builder and a gem of a fella.
    Seconded – totally worth the trip. Tom is great.

If you're in the market for a mandolin and headed to Dublin, why not see if you can get your hands on a Joe Foley mando?
    Custom Weber Bridger (East Indian rosewood/ Sitka)
    MK Legacy O