Thread: Requesting help IDing this mandolin

Default Requesting help IDing this mandolin

Hi all,

I picked up this mandolin at an estate sale. There's no maker sticker inside or anywhere. Stamped on the back of the head is a B. On top of the head is N. That's all I know. Thanks!

Tim
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FRONT400.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	135988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BACK400.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	135989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLOSEUP400.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	135990Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HEAD400.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	135991

Default Re: Requesting help IDing this mandolin

Probably made in Chicago and the bridge looks like it os on backwards. The bone part should be on the same side as the sound hole. Assuming it is in good structural shape, string it with ultralight gauge strings (GHS A-240 to start) and enjoy. Don't worry, you don't have anything too valuable. it could be a decent rosewood bowl back.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Probably made in Chicago and the bridge looks like it os on backwards. The bone part should be on the same side as the sound hole. Assuming it is in good structural shape, string it with ultralight gauge strings (GHS A-240 to start) and enjoy. Don't worry, you don't have anything too valuable. it could be a decent rosewood bowl back.
    Jim, thanks for the response. Do you have any idea of who made it and when? I do want to do my research and find at least an estimate of its value.

Still, I love having it. I played a mandolin in a rock band back in 1966! Had a pickup and everything. People thought it was weird. And it was!

Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Heirhead View Post
    I do want to do my research and find at least an estimate of its value.
    Ten day auction on eBay starting at $0.99 and no reserve will give you a definitive value.

5. The following members say thank you to houseworker for this post:

Saw images of a similar mandolin, same shaped headstock, butterfly-inlay scratchplate, labeled "Midland," which was a brand sold by the Wurlitzer music stores.

Market value on these US-made, century-or-so-old bowl-backs, seems to run $100-300 if they're in good playing shape. Lack of a manufacturer's label can be a detriment to sales appeal.

Wurlitzer didn't make instruments themselves, commissioned them from a variety of US manufacturers. Lots of mandolins were not labeled, sold in local stores or through catalogs. This may well be one of them; I'd guess if Wurlitzer had sold it, it would be labeled with one of their brands.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM