Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cumberland Mandolin Bridge Verses Siminoff Mandolin Bridge

Default Re: Cumberland Mandolin Bridge Verses Siminoff Mandolin Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    Is the saddle of the CA in that interchangeable group as well?
    Yessir, it is! Sorry for the confusion.
    A bit off-topic, but for those who are wondering why a "Loar copy" bridge is so easy to spot, I may add: Most of the details are usually pretty close to the originals of the '20s. And Roger Siminoff even saw the original fixtures, while working for Gibson in the late '70s. However, the old Gibson bridge tops generally never show set-offs with rounded edges, as opposed to the copies. The "waist cuts" ("cove cuts"?) on the bases are all a bit off, too, as if the currently available router bits differ from the ones Gibson used in the '20s. The old threaded studs were from nickel silver, as opposed to today's black steel versions. But the threads on all of the available copies are still like the old ones. (The '90s Gibson threads were metric, though.)
    Last edited by Hendrik Ahrend; Feb-27-2013 at 4:22pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. Carlson View Post
    To the OP: Have you thought of Darryl Wolfe's bridges in your consideration? He uses high quality gaboon ebony and they're also Loar repros. I'm considering all of the above as well, but since Darryl has the same mando I do, he knows how the sound changes. What do you play on? Maybe one of us has done this mod before.
    Hi Andrew
    I'm putting it on a The Loar LM-600 F-Model Mandolin

It's possible that it does not have the standard bridge from the (Eastman) factory. How would I know if it's already been changed? Are these aftermarket bridges stamped or labeled in some way?
    The Eastman bridge does have a unique look to it. If the bride has not been refitted, it will have a number in pencil on the bottom of the foot. Pictured we have a few eastman bridges with a CA bridge on the top, an Eastman bridge foot and an Eastman and CA bridge together. The CA bridge is a blank and may look different after being fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2463.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	98928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2464.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	98929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2466.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	98930
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    The Eastman bridge does have a unique look to it. If the bride has not been refitted, it will have a number in pencil on the bottom of the foot. Pictured we have a few eastman bridges with a CA bridge on the top, an Eastman bridge foot and an Eastman and CA bridge together. The CA bridge is a blank and may look different after being fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2463.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	98928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2464.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	98929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2466.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	98930
    Thanks again.

Blog Entries

FYI: FWIW, Gabon as in ebony is frequently and widely spelled Gaboon but this is incorrect. The Gaboon spelling stems from the French pronunciation of Gabon the country which in fact would be more like Gabown.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackheathen View Post
    FYI: FWIW, Gabon as in ebony is frequently and widely spelled Gaboon but this is incorrect. The Gaboon spelling stems from the French pronunciation of Gabon the country which in fact would be more like Gabown.

On payday I'm ordering a Cumberland Bridge and the next payday I'm having my Mandolin setup and my new bridge installed

I can hardly wait

I took my mandolin to Claremont Music Store http://folkmusiccenter.com/hours-location/
    and the tech told me my bridge was good and the only thing wrong with my mando was it needed a fret dressing and neck adjustment $50-$70

So I left it with him, I'll let you know how it turns out

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin-Tele View Post
    I took my mandolin to Claremont Music Store http://folkmusiccenter.com/hours-location/
    and the tech told me my bridge was good and the only thing wrong with my mando was it needed a fret dressing and neck adjustment $50-$70
    What, no new CA bridge after all?

Frank

the tech told me my bridge was good
    It may be good, but the CA bridge will be better.

Does the tech have experience with bridge upgrades on mandolins?
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Hi thanks
    I deceided to have him do the neck and fret dressing now and do the new Cumberland bridge a little later when I have more money

The tech really knows his stuff on fret dressings, but I'll ask more Q&A later on the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    It may be good, but the CA bridge will be better.

Does the tech have experience with bridge upgrades on mandolins?

Geesh! What a let-down! Two pages of real interesting "bridge-banter" and they guy tells you that your stock Chinese bridge is fine! Not so! I put two of our CA bridges on "The Loar" mandolins yesterday, an LM-400 and an LM-700. Very dramatic improvement in tone, volume, and intonation accuracy. They sound so good that I'm in no hurry to send them back to their customers! I'm in the middle of putting a new bridge (along with a James Tailpiece and Grover tuners) on an LM-600-BK today. I'm fairly certain all of these factors will improve on this mandolin too. (Plus, that black paint job is pretty cool too!).

Not to fault your repair guy (I checked out their website, and they seem like sharp guys there) but there is absolutely no comparison between one of our bridges (or Roger's, for that matter) and the stock bridge that comes on "The Loar" mandolins. It really is their weak link. Most people with any level of knowledge about these particular mandolins should know this, I would think.

So, tell you what, I'm ready to help educate these guys. What if I send you one of our Cumberland Acoustic bridges, at no cost to you, and you go have these guys install it on your mandolin? My only requirement would be that they play the instrument themselves (or have someone there play it if they don't play mandolin) both before and after the bridge is replaced. I would also ask that they test the intonation, both before and after the CA bridge is installed. If they are paying attention, I am hoping that I will have a new customer in their repair department. If not, I am confident that you will come back and give an honest (and hopefully glowing) review of how our bridge influenced the performance of your mandolin.

I'm serious about this offer, by the way. If nothing else, it will impart a far more dramatic end to this thread! If you want to take me up on it, you can call me at 877-857-4896, or e-mail me at cumbacoustic@aol.com.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steevarino For This Useful Post:

What about BRW? Looks like a mighty fine bridge. Comparable?
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Steevarino View Post
    Geesh! What a let-down! Two pages of real interesting "bridge-banter" and they guy tells you that your stock Chinese bridge is fine! Not so! I put two of our CA bridges on "The Loar" mandolins yesterday, an LM-400 and an LM-700. Very dramatic improvement in tone, volume, and intonation accuracy. They sound so good that I'm in no hurry to send them back to their customers! I'm in the middle of putting a new bridge (along with a James Tailpiece and Grover tuners) on an LM-600-BK today. I'm fairly certain all of these factors will improve on this mandolin too. (Plus, that black paint job is pretty cool too!).

Not to fault your repair guy (I checked out their website, and they seem like sharp guys there) but there is absolutely no comparison between one of our bridges (or Roger's, for that matter) and the stock bridge that comes on "The Loar" mandolins. It really is their weak link. Most people with any level of knowledge about these particular mandolins should know this, I would think.

So, tell you what, I'm ready to help educate these guys. What if I send you one of our Cumberland Acoustic bridges, at no cost to you, and you go have these guys install it on your mandolin? My only requirement would be that they play the instrument themselves (or have someone there play it if they don't play mandolin) both before and after the bridge is replaced. I would also ask that they test the intonation, both before and after the CA bridge is installed. If they are paying attention, I am hoping that I will have a new customer in their repair department. If not, I am confident that you will come back and give an honest (and hopefully glowing) review of how our bridge influenced the performance of your mandolin.

I'm serious about this offer, by the way. If nothing else, it will impart a far more dramatic end to this thread! If you want to take me up on it, you can call me at 877-857-4896, or e-mail me at cumbacoustic@aol.com.
    Am I correct that since those The Loar mandos came on the market you must be doing a booming business in making them playable? Is it permissible for you to tell us what builders use your bridges as standard equipment.

A knock out blow, wow....well some of us need educating once in awhile. Good deal Steve.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

Steve I was going to put one of your bridge's on my next payday I just ran out of money

I will take you up on your offer and do this, Thanks Dale Hamon

Last edited by Mandolin-Tele; Mar-15-2013 at 1:11am.

I had a CA bridge installed on my J Bovier f5 dorado. I feel it made a difference in the tone. Thanks Steve for a great bridge.
    To play or not to play? Well that's a silly question.

2009 J.Bovier F5 Dorado
    2012 Eastwood Mandocaster
    2013 J.Bovier A5 (prototype)
    1984 K.Yairi AR352
    1980 Ovation Custom Ballader
    2012 Martin HD28

Here's whats going on....I got my Mandolin back today and they truely did a nice job setting it up and dressing the frets...but after talking with Steve owner of Cumberland Acoustic http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com/id2.html we deceided that I would send him my mandolin and he would install and fit one of his "Cumberland Bridges" for my "The Loar LM-600-VS Mandolin" he gave me his bridge for free but I'm paying him for fitting his bridge and a complete setup to his standards and when I get my Mandolin back I'll give a complete review of his work and sound of my mandolin of before and after the Cumberland bridge install.....

Thanks Steve for the far more dramatic end to this thread!

I'm sending my mandolin to Steve at Cumberland in a few days, right now my "The Loar LM-600-VS lives on my Tone Rite and it sounds fantastic sorry for the delay but my wife gets payed on monday and she said I can get it done then I CAN"T WAIT

Hi Mike, From what I've read Gibson is using "Cumberland Acoustic Bridges" on their Mandolins
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Am I correct that since those The Loar mandos came on the market you must be doing a booming business in making them playable? Is it permissible for you to tell us what builders use your bridges as standard equipment.
    Last edited by Mandolin-Tele; Mar-23-2013 at 2:16pm.

Hi Mike, From what I've read Gibson is using "Cumberland Acoustic Bridges" on there Mandolins
    there mandolins? I don't understand what you mean.

23. The following members say thank you to Mike Bunting for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    there mandolins? I don't understand what you mean.
    I could be wrong but I think Gibson is using Cumberland Acoustics Bridges on Gibson Mandolins

I'm sorry I used "there" instead of "their mandolins"

You say tomato I say tomatoe, either way I know what you mean.
    Last edited by shortymack; Mar-23-2013 at 3:17pm.

Quote Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
    You say tomato I say tomatoe, either way I know what you mean.
    But "there" and "their" have different meanings. If I am trying to communicate an idea , it is my responsibility to say it clearly, it it is not on you to decipher what I am saying. They're now playing their mandolins that were over there in their cases.

Gibson is using "Cumberland Acoustic Bridges" on their Mandolins
    I've heard that too........I think Lynn Dudenbostel uses them as well.
    There is a nice article on Steve w/ numerous photos in the latest issue of the Fretboard Journal.