Thread: How popular is the A50?

How popular is the Gibson A50? Are they in jazz, bluegrass, rock? What is the general thoughts on a 1951 A50? I am planning on getting one, and would like to know some general info....any cd's with A50's, or famous players....thanks, dy.

Jesse McReynolds played one in his early days, and on the earliest recordings of Jim and Jesse.

Hi, I bought a fifties A-50 a few months ago and I'm delighted with it. I can't begin to describe the tone which comes out. I would think that the A-50 would adapt to many different styles of music and would be better than average at all of them!
    I got mine on ebay and as soon as I received it got it set up by a luthier. WOW!
    Buy. You won't regret it

A50 models are Gibson's proof that they can build with consistantcy. It doesn't matter '30s,'40s, '50s and even into the '60s they all are pretty good. They have tiny neck twisting problems after the 10th fret, but many players I know have used one their entire life. Elerly has two or three in stock.
    G

I love the A-50, I've got a couple. They're not very loud but have a sweet round sound, slightly wide fingerboard, and it still amazes me that a 50-70 year old Gibson can still be had for usually less than $1000.

I understand that Gibson did use laminate sides in certain A-models. Does anyone know models/years?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

i'm no gibson expert but i'm thinking it was laminated back and sides in later a-40s
    mike conroy--
    1980 Monteleone m-5 (#46)
    Collings mf-5 (#88)

I don't see many top players in many styles playing A50s. To me they are weak, cant play them hard at all. The older As (oval holes from the teens and 20s) are superior in every way. YMMV.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Not discounting petimar's opinion in any way, I will, however, add that not all A-50s are weak - I play mine (currently a '42-'46) as hard as I do any other mandolin. It projects, it does everything it should, and keeps up #with loud instruments (pipes/accordion/steel pans/etc.).
    True, you don't see them in the hands of 'top' players now, but it's a fact that there are so many wonderful options out there now, players have moved on ahead to those. Once upon a time, these instruments #were in the hands of many a great player.
    I don't believe in recommending mandolins to others - or any specific instruments for that matter. If you like it, and it has some meaning to you and your musical efforts, it will serve you well with it's unexpected versatility. #For that reason, as well as a few others, #I prefer it to earlier Gibson A's.
    IF you are only going to play bluegrass, I suggest you look at more instruments that are being currrently used, as well as listen to older recordings, bearing in mind that many times the recorded mandolin sounds unlike 'in person' sessions. That #contemporary recorded sound is more rich, a bit hollow/woody, and sometimes far more reverby than au natural. Find the Monroe "Tanyards" MP3 posted a few weeks back and check that out for #a different perspective. Listen to some Skip Gorman. Or Curley Lambert, with the 50's Stanley Bros. band. You'll see what I'm saying #- you probably already know.
    The A-50s worked in their era for players who were not in big time bluegrass bands, but didn't have the budgets that we fortunate players have now.

rasa
    an A-50 player since 1968

rasa,
    Thanks for such an intelligent and pragmatic description of the instrument. You made several good points. How is the scale length of the neck meaning where it attaches to the body? Would this be considered a long or short scale?
    Jim
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Sam Bush's first mandolin, wasn't it?
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

I do not see many A-50's in bluegrass. I think in bluegrass music [or i know] that most of the players play an F. Usually an F-5.

LONG time ago, PGA, and mostly in the less affluent/less prominent/more local bands.
    Sams's was a beauty.
    Jim, the neck joins the body at the 10th fret, and it's not really a problem. It does have a bigger heel than than most F's. Similar scale length, though. If you are beyond the 12th fret alot, for whatever reason, it would be best to be on something different.

rasa