Thread: FFcP question(s)

Default FFcP question(s)

After reading some good stuff about jazzmando.com and the FFcP method, I decided to check it out. Please keep in mind that I can not read music nor do I understand (that I'm aware of) any music theory.

Example: 1st FFcP (A major, 1st finger) shows 1:1 on fret 2, 2:2 on fret 4, 3:3 on fret six and 4:4 on fret 7 and only the D and G strings are used. I understand which strings and fret to play and that you are using your pointer finger but what is the 1:1, 2:2, 3:3 and 4:4 notating. I'm sure my description doesn't make any sense and like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I hope this isn't a ridiculous question.

Thanks in advance.
    The Citadel
    c/o 2000

Default Re: FFcP question(s)

Not sure I understand your question, but I'll try to answer anyway!

The number in the black circle on the string is the finger that you use (1 is the index, 2 is the middle, etc.). The example you are referring to shows you playing the scale on the G and D courses of strings only, and the circles that the numbers are in reside on the frets that should be played. (A major).

For example, index finger on G course, second fret. Second finger on G course, 4th fret. Etc. The same concept applies to the A course of strings next to the G course, for this particular scale pattern. So for the G course and the A course, you would use your index finger for fret placement on the second fret.

Not sure where you are seeing the 1:1 part.

Does that help or am I missing what you are asking?

I think I see his predicament, the 1:1 is merely showing that you use the 1st finger (1) on the second fret of the adjacent strings etc.
    Musica mulcet ad animam.
    Musica placet aurium.
    Musica aedificat corda

Perhaps that is the issue.

You are playing each course, individually, NOT together. Meaning you are not hitting both the G and A courses together, but individually.

For example, do ALL the finger placements on the G course first, THEN move to the A course. In the A major, this means you are starting the scale on the A note on the G course and ending on the A note on the A course. All in all, you are playing 8 individual notes, 4 notes sequentially on the G course, then 4 sequentially on the A course.

Does that help?

5. The following members say thank you to LKN2MYIS for this post:

What does FFcP stand for...? Haha, it just looks like a normal scale to me...
    Musica mulcet ad animam.
    Musica placet aurium.
    Musica aedificat corda

Thanks for the help guys, it makes more sense now.
    The Citadel
    c/o 2000

Mr. Arimathean, FFcP means Four Finger closed Position. The (ingenious) idea is to get all four fingers of the left hand into play, even the pinkie. I've been giving it a good try since the first of the year, and it has been helping me stretch (figuratively and literally) out a bit. I have not grokked all the theory yet, but I hope it will come in time.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Griff For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Hi Arimathean and the person explaining FFCP. The truth is, I also wondered what it stands for, but have showed my ignorance to many times that I fear to irritate so would not ask. That is very much not me - but truth be told I feel a little intimidated by all the folks with their classy mandos and years of experience. Thanks again Arimathean

Lately playing omnichord and Crafter M70e acoustic mandolin
    "There is no time like the present to be picky."

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

11. The following members say thank you to Pasha Alden for this post:

Vanillamandolin -

Never be afraid to ask questions about something you don't understand. We all do, or there wouldn't be a forum.

Does my explanation help at all, or simply muddy the waters more?

Blog Entries

Hi John

To me it makes sense - so I hope the same is true for the one with the question. Admittedly I have read music before so I guess this kind of thing helps.
    Vanillamandolin

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Just think about a g scale that you play with your 3 fingers. Now play the same thing but play it with fingers 2-4 and use your first finger to bar the second fret...just move every thing up. If you move to 3rd fret it's now in B flat. Boom! You just learned how to play in like 5 different keys

Hi - I've also been working on the FFCP exercises and have a question about the pattern of the 2nd FFCP when you play it in A. Where do you go when the pattern in D hits the E string in the fourths measures? I hope my question is clear and no one minds me jumping on this thread...

Why not go to the website where it is all explained quite well.
    http://jazzmando.com/ffcp.shtml

Hi Mike - I have read through the material to get started with FFCP at jazzmando.com. I've also reread it, and if they're throwin' it, I'm not catchin' it..

Rereading my earlier question, there is an error. My question is around the practice exercises for the 4th FFCP, not the 2nd. I can ask this question in a better way though...maybe..

When you work through the FFCP exercises (just the beginning ones), are you supposed to be working the pattern for each of the keys listed on the pdfs? For example, the 4th FFcP indicates D, Db, A, Ab. If so, how to you deal with places in the exercise that hit the E string when you shift up to start on A rather than D?

ktheerm -
    If I understand your question: You want to start the FFcP scale on the A string and want to know how to play the scale on the E string. Okay? Start with your pinkie on the A string 7 fret, play the pattern as shown on the E string (frets 2 - 4 -6 & 7) thru E string 7 fret, now shift your hand up the fingerboard to play the 9 fret w/ your index finger, 11 fret w/ middle finger and the 12 fret w/ fourth finger and you have played a closed position E major scale. Hope this helps.
    It's the E major scale one octave higher than the E scale shown in !st. FFcP.
    enjoy,
    Lee

ps - Another way is to start on the A string 7 fret w/ the index finger and play the 7 - 9 - 11 - 12 frets in sequence, then jump to the E string 7 fret and repeat the 7 - 9 - 11 - 12 sequence. Again you played the E major scale. (Same notes as my first example, different place on the fretboard.
    LHB

It might be worth checking out Pickloser's Guide to Double Stops. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/en...to-Doublestops

I read it around the same time I was working on FFCP and found it helped in seeing the patterns on the fret board.

20. The following members say thank you to Shanachie for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
    It might be worth checking out Pickloser's Guide to Double Stops. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/en...to-Doublestops

I read it around the same time I was working on FFCP and found it helped in seeing the patterns on the fret board.
    I don't know who Pickloser is, but she deserves big kudos. This is great.

I'm curious about something related to FFCP. I've gone to the site, and printed a bunch of exercises, but I can't seem to find any explanatory material. Is it all just exercises, or is there some sort of overview that explains what and why? I've wondered if there's some sort of book that I have just missed or something.

22. The following members say thank you to belbein for this post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

FFcP is a method of playing scales (and thus keys, tunes, chords, etc.) without using open (unfretted) notes on the mandolin.
    Because of not using open notes, you can repeat scale patterns anywhere on the instrument giving you access to the entire fretboard. You also can play any scale using one of the 4 FFcP fingering patterns, and you can extend a scale across the fretboard.
    Hope this helps flesh out some of the above information.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

The FFcP excersizes are included in Ted's popular book Getting into JAzz Mandolin. They are also available for free download at JAzzzMando and here on the Cafe. Apart fron the book, they are great on their own to help ingrain the scale interval relationships in all 12 keys using only 4 fingering patterns. By initially eliminating the open strings used in some scales, the entire set of 12 major scales can be accesed using the same fingerings. Puts the pinky to work in a hurry too. Although supporting explanation and theory is dispensed, the reader is invited to let their fingers do the hard work at first, developing the muscle memory neccessary to feel where the tones are. It really opened up the fretboard for me.

Scott

Mandolinlee - thank you. I get what you are saying.. although it wasn't quite what I was asking. But it makes it clear that the pattern of the exercises, once it gets to the Fourths intervals, must change if you start the 4th FFcP on the A note of the D string.

I trust all will be revealed once I move onto the double octave exercises. I'm trying to just stay focused on learning the patterns, stretching my figures and getting the sounds of the basic FFcPs internalized for the next few months.

-K

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    FFcP means Four Finger closed Position. The (ingenious) idea is to get all four fingers of the left hand into play, even the pinkie.
    And to have the entire scale in closed position, i.e. no open strings. That way the configurations are moveable. Start the same pattern on a different note and you are playing the scale of that note.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

As a guitar player for many years I was surprised to see so many mandolin players on UTube using only three fingers. Seems to me that they are denying themselves 25% of their left hand resources. From day one playing mandolin I used four fingers. In fact, because of my efforts over the years to develop my ring finger for guitar, on mandolin I find myself using it more than my second finger.

Strings8
    So chi sono.