Thread: Upstate NY Old-Time Pickers Wanted

Rochester,Sryacuse,Ithica,Utica,Albany Old-Time Players...

Where are you? #I'm looking for some good Old-Time jams or will to set-up some jams. #Fiddle, Bass, Mandolin, Clawhammer Banjo, Guitar... #Ring in folks. #Jug Band stuff also. #Let's have some fun.

I'm in Rome NY, but willing to travel for some good pickin'

Cheers

Conrad

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blowing_rock.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	6088  
    Conrad

Hey guys I am in Rochester, playing my mando or I should say been trying to play for the last 30 years, HA!

Anyway I hate driving in this winter time "s^%t" but if you guys ever want to pick in the Rochester area, (Pittsford which is a little east of Rochester ) let me know.

You guys looking to just jam or but together a few pickers to form a group and do a little gig work. I am strictly NOT professional but I am in one group of fiddlers all non-professional players and we do gigs now and again.

Mike

HI MIKE

That's a quick reply. Unfortionatly those guys live 1000 + mile away in different directions. If you know of any informal jams, please let me know and I'll see about making the trip over with guitar and mando. I'm really looking forward to some OLD-Time pickin'

Cheers
    Conrad

Well go to #www.fiddlersofthegenesee.org #that is the group that I mentioned in my post. I am in the group actually a club which plays only "old-time" fiddle stuff but there are guitar players and a few mando players and a couple of bass players that are in it.

We jam every Friday night almost without fail usually from 6 up 12 pickers show up. In the summer we do local gigs and actually the club gets paid and the money goes back into the club account for equipment like new mics and such. We have a non-profit status.

The web site will give you some additonal info but email me back if you want to know more, by the way the website will be getting a new look in the spring with more current pics and info.

Anyway check it out, lots of #good music and people.

Mike

Alright this is offically a sign that should that i might have to go back to syracuse.. Today i have seen two different posts about jams around Syracuse,NY what a beautiful thing! Can't wait to get back for the summer and do some good old pickin'
    An East coaster stuck in a west coast town
    cheers
    Gary
    I am the walrus I am the walrus
    "There are two teams i support the RED SOX and anyone who beats the yankees"

I live in Rockland county. 2 summers ago, about 20 members from this board got together at a state park around the Troy area. It was a great day of pickin, playing different mandos, food and drink. We should try to do this again this spring/summer.

Ahh good old Troy/Albany area.. I would do this if i am in the New york area in the summer Sounds like a lot of fun!
    I am the walrus I am the walrus
    "There are two teams i support the RED SOX and anyone who beats the yankees"

I grew up in Ilion... Does that count for anything?

That's a heck of a drive from Carlsbad, CA, though...

__
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

As Tom C suggested - perhaps we can get another Upstate NY mando thing going this year - I think we better think about something indoors which always ups the price, but I may have some avenues.
    Anyway maybe we could as somebody like Frank Wakefield or even ( Tom?) Barry Mitterhoff to do a short workshop?

Fpizza5 - weren't you the guy with the awesome collection of black top gibsons?

I'll admit Old Time is not my fortey - but Utica is not to far for me, I am currently living in Altamont , which is just south of Albany.

I think Peakbagger ( Alan) was trying to get something going, haven't heard from him in a while.

Anyway good to see some mando enthusiasm in Upstate NY

Tim

Stormymorning.com

It's a bit far from Rome, but there's a regular Tuesday night open session in the Albany/Troy/Saratoga area, a different venue each month. Some old time, some Irish and contra, very welcoming to newcomers at all levels. Here's the website for info: http://www.timesunion.com/communities/fiddle/

Jordan
    Jordan

halfdeadhippie I do have quite a collection of old Gibson instruments and it is still growing. I owe it all to my very understanding wife. Anyway, there seems to be some intrest and I'll try to visit the suggested jams.

Jordan thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to the website to see if this will work for me on a tuesday night.

Cheers

Conrad
    Conrad

Ffpizza5,

Check your messages.

Steve
    Steve

Steve

which messages are you suggesting i check?

i find nothing new.

cheers
    Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by (ffpizza5 @ Jan. 26 2005, 19:46)
    Steve

which messages are you suggesting i check?

i find nothing new.

cheers
    I thought I PMed you, but I may have screwed up. Can you email me at stevenmargulis@hotmail.com and I'll reply to you? Thanks.

Steve
    Steve

I attended a jam on Friday put on by Fiddlers of the Genensee, FOG.

Fantastic and well worth the 250 mile round trip to have an opportinuty to pick along with such nice folks. Being a first timer there, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was warmly greeted and politely encouraged to join in the circle.
    Thanks to Mike for the thread that got me to the jam and thanks to FOG for providing a perfect Old-Time jam session. I'm sure I'll be attending again. www.fiddlersofthegenesee.org

Cheers

Conrad
    Conrad

Conrad,

We enjoyed having you and your playing and that real nice Gibson 1913 F 4 you were picking. Hope you can make it back soon.

Regards

Mike & the FOG members.