Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: modern folk music

anyone out there writing folky tunes. share a link or download. just finished writing a good old leftist folky environmental tune. what fun!

recorded a coupla others, so i'll be the first to share.
    go to: nossongs@agreatserver.com click on the image to enter, and under original tunes, check out
    a pretty good town
    and
    between the drops

post your own, would love to hear em.

ira
    ps- i know the post topic heading doesn't say folk, but i didn't really want to put it under the rock/folk rock section so this seemed like the best place.

screwed up again,
    its nossongs.agreatserver.com
    come on you closet writers- share your stuff!

Enjoyed your songs - I always like listening to GDTRFB whether it's the Dead, Woody or someone else. It's also one of my favorites to play.
    Just might get some sleep tonight

http://www.geocities.com/tenn_jed_1999/

thanks jed!

I just released a cd, Down By The Drowning Creek, of all original folk songs and ballads, mostly set in 1860's Georgia (Andersonville prison) and Virginia City, Nevada. There's one song up (no mando) as an mp3 at

www.christianlopez.com

There'll be more clips up soon. Lots of cross-tuned fiddle, OT banjo, mando, slide, etc.

Check out the original songs at Steve Hartz's web site
    www.mysteryridge.com
    Great mandolin, mandola, mandocello and mando bass

Albums are: "Crooked, Steep and Rocky" and "By the Muddy Angelina"

hey christian,
    couldn't get to any of your tunes- liked the site though!

hey ira, there's an mp3 at the bottom of the page. you have to scroll to see it...
    I'm still working on converting the clips of the other tunes...
    Christian

c, just listened. great tune. (hey, no mando that i could hear at least). really creative. a calm, yet powerful song. i'm jealous.

Ira,

How Cool!

Excellent original songs. #I’m listening to Norwegian Wood now – it’s a killer.

What are you recording with – recorder, mics? #It sounds very good.

Not sure our stuff is "folk", but it’s at least garbage band. #There’s some mando, dola and octave on many songs.

www.mpsquared.com/woody

I’m going to listen to your version of Honky Tonk Woman now.

Thanks for sharing the music. #Let us know when you add songs.My Webpage

hey hoyt,
    definitely eclectic with some songs certainly vibing a modern folk bent.
    my favs- fairy tale town, my way home, tell me where to begin (prob my fav of the favs) and catch a ride. great stuff. that here comes sunshine (thought it was going to be the dead song) was reminiscent of the eagles- quite cool.

thanks for your nice words on our tunes -i love the norwegian wood myself-tried for the sitary feel on the mando solo(hope you liked honky tonk as well-no mando, but some decent harp on it). we love to do our own takes on cover tunes, that are sometimes rooted in the original and sometimes take it elsewhere. we are about 1/2 done with recording for our cd-all orig. but still try to rec. a few covers for folks to hear. our live page is down but had lots of fun stuff. i'd love to hear your take on the original stuff that is on the page- everything from balads to comedy in the folk vein.

not sure exactly what we use to record. my partner set up a mini studio in his house and we use mics but i don't know what kind, and he puts it through something and then into the computer. i can find out for you. did it sound ok? should we be using something else in your opinion. always looking for input.
    thanks again for the comments and for the fun tunes!

peace,
    ira

Ira,

Honky Tonk is outstanding. #Really dig the harp, man.

I think your “cover songs” are almost originals. #I really dislike trying to recreate someone else’s song note-for-note. #Seems like such a waste of time practicing someone else’s music (note-for-note) when you can create something fresh like you guys have. #

I also like the way you guys let the “tape” roll a bit before some of your songs.

Like somebody says before Don’t Think Twice #– “Music Supposed to be Fun”. #You guys got it.

Some more good harp on that song too. #That’s one of my favorite Dylan songs – nice version.

Thanks for the comments on our stuff. #This is a cool world where you can record songs and stick them on the web for people to listen. #

By the way, I’m still smiling/laughing from listening to “6 foot 2". #Every song you’ve posted is very good.

Check back later. #Hoyt

thanks- yeah at 5'4 (at least on my liscense) and a partner standing tall at 5'6 on a good day, that song came out in one stream of consciousness. with the presong rap and the rap between stanzas, it usually takes 7+ minutes live and is a hoot with the audience generally singing along with the chorus about 1/2 way through. at first we didn't think the recording was clean enough- its pretty sloppy and overplayed at times, but folks who have seen us said they like how it sounded on the recording.

yeah, the music is fun comment came when we were getting a bit tired of recording and my partner got a little bit testy, so i tried to remind him that its supposed to be fun. the rolled tape just seemed right with some tunes. thanks again for your comments dude, glad we could give you a smile.

keep making the great music.

ira

btw- 6'2 was recorded together in one take with both of us singing and playing, rather than as seperate sections that we could play with, in order to give it the live and dynamic feel.

ira - thanks for the kind words. There actually is a mando chop down in the mix...
    btw, your version of Norwegian Wood is fabulous. Lotsa fun there. And 6'2" is a great song. You're a helluva singer.
    Christian

Christian,

Somehow I missed your original post. #Just listened to your song and I've got to say it's very good. #The dobro, guitar and vocal are outstanding. #Got to like those “hanging” songs, especially new originals on the theme.

As a fellow Georgian, I've been to Andersonville several times (I'm actually old enough to have been imprisoned there) -- good pick for a setting for some of your songs. Can't go there without feeling the angst and utter desperation -- the prison is pretty bad too.

I downloaded Spring Day cause I'm going to listen to it several more times. #When I get home, I'll order the CD.

If your and Ira's work are any indication of what's out there in terms of interesting music, this could be very good thread to follow.

I’m going to create a playlist from you guys – and hopefully others to come. #This beats anything on commercial radio and most commercial music nowadays.

Thanks, Hoyt # My Webpage

christian and hoyt-you guys are too kind.

christian-
    though there are many who see us that like the songs i sing when i sing em, thats the first time i've seen/heard anyone say that i was a helluva singer after listening to my growling. i'll treasure that post!

hoyt- i second your opinion, and hope there will be others to come. i can't imagine that with all of the members on the cafe, that we 3 are the only ones doing folk-tinged original tunes. come on folks- chime in and let us hear!!!

Hoyt -
    I'm so glad you liked the song! It's my favorite on the cd.

I went to your band's page and saw the cd - I tried to download the songs but kept getting this message:
    "This content has been shared by multiple users on multiple machines and cannot proceed with further migration."

Where in Georgia are you? Somebody here in Athens mentioned your band to me recently...

btw, my band and I will be live on the radio and web this Friday, August 13th for WUGA's "It's Friday" show, 4-5 p.m.
    http://www.wuga.org/listen_online.html

how exciting- congrats

i had the same message, then something popped up and ask if i wanted to "migrate" so i did and could listen to all of the tunes.

Ira and Christian,

Ira, Like you, I know a lot more subscribers here have songs. We'll have to figure out a way to get em here.

Christian, I'm in Atlanta. Use to go to Athens quite a bit. I will try to listen to the WUGA Friday. I'll send myself an email to remind me. That's quite an accomplishment.

Not sure what the "Migration" deal is on our website, but I'll have my buddy try to figure it out. It's not easy maintaining a relatively simple site like ours. I don't see how Scott Tickenor keeps Mandolin Cafe running so well. We need to write a song encouraging people to send donations to the Cafe for its fine work.

Here's to the future. Hoyt

We've loaded about 3 of our songs on Songramp in MP3 format so that they will be easier to download. We'll add more this week.

http://www.songramp.com/homepage.ez?Who=Hoyt

I've about decided it will be easier to link our web site to Songramp and let them maintain the actual songs. #Although it is clear to me that MP3s don't sound quite as good (but MP3 is certainly acceptable).

Hoyt

my partner broke out a new tune as we practiced last night called:
    "my wife's new boyfriend"- hysterical. can't wait till we record it.

Ira,

If it's half as good as "6 Foot 2", it will be a killer. I still laugh everytime I think about that song. We need to add video to the audio.

Be sure to post when it's recorded.

Hoyt

Hey guys, I listened to a couple of your songs last night. Very good!

hoyt- don't know who would play the video, but it probably would be a funny film. maybe when we get that big recording contract, they will front out bucks for video too!
    thanks sjennings for your kind words. any tunes to share with us?