Thread: Original Lloyd Loar F5 Case $$$$$$$$

Default Original Lloyd Loar F5 Case $$$$$$$$

For those of you just wondering what an original 1924 F5 case for the mystical Lloyd Loar mandolin is bringing these days after the recession is over it is a mere $10,000.
    I could have sworn they were only $5,000 before the recession and I remember the good ole days when you could fetch one for $1000.
    Now I understand if you have a Loar without it's original case you likely would gladly fork over this amount of money. Maybe you got a really bad F- case and want to upgrade to this wonderful VG++. Others would rather have a used 2000's MM F5 mandolin without a case. Or maybe you would rather have 5 of the KM1500 mandolins. No photo but you can see it listed at Gruhn's in Nashville www.gruhn.com under the mandolin section item no: MF8138. Oh and he's pretty loaded with plenty of prewar Gibson F5s and quite a few of the high end Kentucky models.

Default Re: Original Lloyd Loar F5 Case $$$$$$$$

That would be wanting a case REALLY bad. I think I'd buy a Hoffee or a Price and call 'er good. But I doubt I'll ever have this particular dilemma.....

Aren't we still in a recession? Feels like it.

I sure would love to own a Loar in a Loar case even just for a week. Dang!

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Oh and he's pretty loaded with plenty of prewar Gibson F5s and quite a few of the high end Kentucky models.
    Hey get one of those high end Kentucky mandolins and the Loar case, that's the ticket!

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

I'll bet it's an unsigned Loar case though.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

You know I thought that but how can you tell? I bet it's still got that "Loar" smell inside the case.

I sold a mandolin years ago on eBay that had managed to get a very rough Loar case attached to it. I was shocked at the bids that came in on that thing. No where near these numbers but the guy that won was a Loar collector. If I'd known what I had at the time I would have broken up the items into two auctions. It had a 32 F2 in it.

By the way, the case smelled awful.

One thing that is for certain...they aren't making any more of em! Now if we could just bottle up that smell...Loar eau de toilette!

The last time I saw Charlie Derrington at the Gibson factory (about 6 months before he died) he showed me an unmarked bottle of what he said was the ultimate "Loar" smell he was working on to eventually spray inside the new DMM F5s to give it that authentic "Loar" smell.
    I got a whiff of it and let's just say he wasn't quite there. I'm sure that project died with him.

f5loar's right about the smell... it's really something

I could have sworn they were only $5,000 before the recession and I remember the good ole days when you could fetch one for $1000.

Yep, picked one up for 2k back some years ago, then sold it back to the seller for the same. That case went round and round. It was period and cool, but it didn't hold/cradle the mandolin real well.

By the way, the case smelled awful.
    Probably doubled as a Cat bed as we often see here.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jan-15-2013 at 9:51am. Reason: fixed quote syntax
    Never Argue with an Idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Oh yes!!! I bought a 27 F4 that came with a Loar case in the mid 90's and sold the case to a certain mandolin player outside of Dayton for $1k....the going rate in 2001....boy I thought I was a big deal!!!.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedrick View Post
    Oh yes!!! I bought a 27 F4 that came with a Loar case in the mid 90's and sold the case to a certain mandolin player outside of Dayton for $1k....the going rate in 2001....boy I thought I was a big deal!!!.....
    Not trying to lowball George, but I have three I would sell for 2500. each. None pristine all a little doggy, but all original. If you need one for your Loar or Fern, I can fix you up.
    l_cadle@bellsouth.net.

"Not trying to lowball George...." It sounds more like George is "high balling" us. You should at least raise the price of yours to $3,333.33 each that way you could have a 3 for 1 sale.

The Loar and Loar type cases all seem to have this price increase.....didn't I see a Pag case for sale either here of Ebay for $1k? not that long ago they were $600 or so weren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    That would be wanting a case REALLY bad.
    It's all relative gentlemen. Slightly off topic..but if you're restoring or just have to have a set of 5 of these all-original Rudge knock offs (not 'repro' wheels, but single lug spinners) for your '50's roadster or wing, they'll set you back $25-30k per copy...$150k for 5 of them, if you want your spare to match...

...if ya gotta have 'em, ya gotta have 'em!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rudge.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	96902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300SL038.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	96903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300SL041.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	96904  

18. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Wow, I can't hardly believe that. Sometimes I really wonder about George.
    Gary, I have bought 3 1927 F4's, and two of them came in Loar cases. I still have them both.
    I have the cleanest Loar case you can imagine, with a case blanket inside, original key, that I'd sell for half that price... what a deal!

and as I remember you had that 1915 F4 presentation instrument that had a preLoar rectangle case also.....

27's and 21's are the most interesting F4's to me......there is that 27 elevated neck one you sold to me and all the different nuances of both of these years....

I forgot about that one! So, that's 4 I guess. That was one of the coolest ever! It had an original red lined, shaped case, I think.
    The one I have now has the best wood of all of them, and it has come in a red lined , shaped case.
    I posted pictures in another thread tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    It's all relative gentlemen. Slightly off topic..but if you're restoring or just have to have a set of 5 of these all-original Rudge knock offs (not 'repro' wheels, but single lug spinners) for your '50's roadster or wing, they'll set you back $25-30k per copy...$150k for 5 of them, if you want your spare to match...

...if ya gotta have 'em, ya gotta have 'em!
    I remember passing up on one of those mid 50s hardtops when I was 18. The seller wanted $4k and I only had $2500 to bargain with. I believe Miles bought one of those with his paycheck from "Kind of Blue" (while the rest of the band got about $150 union wage for the recording session!).

j.
    www.condino.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Waltham View Post
    I forgot about that one! So, that's 4 I guess. That was one of the coolest ever! It had an original red lined, shaped case, I think.
    The one I have now has the best wood of all of them, and it has come in a red lined , shaped case.
    I posted pictures in another thread tonight...
    The one I'm thinking about had the odd rectangular case with a plate of some type....now I can't remember but there was something different about the mandolin itself....like an extension of the fretboard that was longer....or something like that...

I almost pulled the trigger on that one but was a little short on the cash needed...

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    I remember passing up on one of those mid 50s hardtops when I was 18. The seller wanted $4k and I only had $2500 to bargain with. I believe Miles bought one of those with his paycheck from "Kind of Blue" (while the rest of the band got about $150 union wage for the recording session!).

j.
    www.condino.com
    That's a good story, James. My neighbor has a '57 wing and a '58 roadster, both 100pt cars. His dad passed the hardtop down to him, which the old man bought new in '57! It was in great shape as an original but a few years ago it had a body off. The car is worth over a mil and maybe closer to $2. They drive and shift like an old truck, but sure do look purty! Now back to more Loar.

Exclamation Re: Original Lloyd Loar F5 Case $$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    For those of you just wondering what an original 1924 F5 case for the mystical Lloyd Loar mandolin is bringing these days after the recession is over it is a mere $10,000.
    Now I understand if you have a Loar without it's original case you likely would gladly fork over this amount of money. Maybe you got a really bad F- case and want to upgrade to this wonderful VG++. Others would rather have a used 2000's MM F5 mandolin without a case. Or maybe you would rather have 5 of the KM1500 mandolins. No photo but you can see it listed at Gruhn's in Nashville www.gruhn.com under the mandolin section item no: MF8138. Oh and he's pretty loaded with plenty of prewar Gibson F5s and quite a few of the high end Kentucky models.
    I bought one a year or so ago for $1,500. My wife thought I was nuts. The case looked as though it had come over on Noah's Ark. I was almost inclined to agree with my wife; but now, I think I got a real bargain!