Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Fender Emando

Default Re: New Fender Emando

Are we sure these things have an adjustable truss rod? I had just assumed they have one that's accessible from the butt of the neck, but I can't find any mention of an adjustable truss rod on the Fender site.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    I'm on it. Meeting with Fender Friday morning at NAMM.
    Hey Ted, don't miss Eva Holbrook at DPA Booth #6996. Maybe she'll come play the Fender if you ask nice.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Searching for the Sound

so? pull the trigger while there's $30 off at GC, or wait for reviews????

I'd wait. Sure, I'd rather save the thirty bucks as not, but there are a few things I'd like to know about it before I bought it. Good, bad or otherwise they'll be at a store near you soon.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

If they do this in a maple neck, I just might consider a second as an alternate to my JBovier with the rosewood. As for Chinese manufacture, the Chinese Squier thinline Telecaster they did was so good they now brand them as Fender... so it's an excellent price. If only i had an excellent bank account or excellent credit access....

Searching for the Sound

... so, we'll see some reviews from NAMM tomorrow??????

Finger drum... finger drum... finger drum... Look at watch... Impatient?... Me?
    Steve Perry
    Sumi SF5 Birdseye

"Quit thinkin'... Just play"

Bruce? Wherefore art thou?

I dunno... Bruce Springsteen and Albert Collins did OK with theirs.
    Bruce Springsteen played a Broadcaster. Just a technicality, I know, but for the record...

The Tele, a "one trick pony"? Springsteen, Gatton, Don Rich, Roy Buchanan, Ed Bickert, Hellecasters, Richard Thompson, Brent Mason, Scotty Anderson, Keith Richards, and on and on.
    Let's not forget Pete Townshend, too.

(Man, I sure miss Albert Collins. I once lent him an amp for a gig at school.)
    Think globally, bike locally.

Looks like we were both wrong about Bruce ... that's a modified '50s Esquire. At least that's what somebody at Gibson.com (?!?!?!?!?!?) thinks:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...bruce-514.aspx

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

The tele: a one-trick pony? if by 'one-trick' you mean about the most versatile out there: other Tele players not mentioned - Andy Summers from the police, Jeff Beck, Steve Cropper, the Motown guys... most of the funk guys... Keith Urban, Roy Buchanan, Keith Richards, ...

Looks like we were both wrong about Bruce ... that's a modified '50s Esquire. At least that's what somebody at Gibson.com (?!?!?!?!?!?) thinks:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...bruce-514.aspx
    That's entirely possible. Still, I think it's more likely to be a Broadcaster body with a replacement Esquire neck. Otherwise it's a major Frankencaster. Early Esquires had a lot of neck issues (no truss rod, I believe), so there was a lot of neck replacing going on. But the Esquire was a single-pickup body. Simplest way to that guitar is a Broadcaster body with an Esquire neck. Otherwise, it could be an Esquire, with additional custom routing for a second pickup, new pickguard, and later a replacement (newer) Esquire neck. That's a lot of work for a relatively inexpensive guitar. I'm willing to believe either story, as that's clearly not an original (stock) anything.

Quote Originally Posted by eadg145 View Post
    That's entirely possible. Still, I think it's more likely to be a Broadcaster body with a replacement Esquire neck.
    Did you read the article?

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    The tele: a one-trick pony? if by 'one-trick' you mean about the most versatile out there: other Tele players not mentioned - Andy Summers from the police, Jeff Beck, Steve Cropper, the Motown guys... most of the funk guys... Keith Urban, Roy Buchanan, Keith Richards, ...
    Jimmy Page... many people don't realize that the solo on "Stairway to Heaven" is a Tele.

15. The following members say thank you to zoukboy for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I am super impressed with how you guys are in the know regarding who played what with which. This strikes me as pretty darn erudite, almost abstract, information. I can barely tell the difference between Fenders and Gibsons (Les Pauls, mostly, though then there are variations ...), and then not all the time. Is this info coming from interviews or studio logs, or what?

Of course, I don't really care. A great solo is a great solo, regardless of whether it was played on a Strat, a Tele, a Paulie, or a Silvertone (thank you, Ray Mason, for keeping their legacy alive). Put your signal through various effects, your choice of amp, twiddle the knobs, the signal source may not end up mattering quite so much. To a great extent, what matters most not what is being played but how it is being played. To my mind, anyway. But then, what would gearheads have to talk about?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Yes, Bruce's Esquire is well-known to be an Esquire. Jimmy Page has made a few appearances with his jet-black Tele with the Parsons-White String Bender. It was his favorite instrument in the studio, though it was cool back then to appear in concert with a fancy new Les Paul. The sound in the studio is clearly Tele. I once interviewed Freddy Tavarez, who drafted the original Stratocast Plans with Leo Fender (whom I met on a few occasions in his old age). Freddie told me that the Strat was the really versatile Fender because of all the choices it gave you, "but if you wanted that authentic Fender sound you had to go to a Tele." Here's the late king of the Telecaster:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I am super impressed with how you guys are in the know regarding who played what with which. This strikes me as pretty darn erudite, almost abstract, information. I can barely tell the difference between Fenders and Gibsons (Les Pauls, mostly, though then there are variations ...), and then not all the time. Is this info coming from interviews or studio logs, or what?

Of course, I don't really care. A great solo is a great solo, regardless of whether it was played on a Strat, a Tele, a Paulie, or a Silvertone (thank you, Ray Mason, for keeping their legacy alive). Put your signal through various effects, your choice of amp, twiddle the knobs, the signal source may not end up mattering quite so much. To a great extent, what matters most not what is being played but how it is being played. To my mind, anyway. But then, what would gearheads have to talk about?
    It is like people who stand around the open hood of a vehicle with a beer in their hands . they like what makes the cars work as well as the drive too where you are going

( me I just like beer )
    Last edited by rico mando; Jan-25-2013 at 12:13pm. Reason: clarification of my preference of beer

Of course, Jimmy Page played a Tele when I heard him with the Yardbirds. Also glad someone mentioned Albert Collins. Bottom line, it's not always the tool, sometimes it's the workman (or woman).

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

By the same token I am super impressed with those sort of gearheads as well. You know, folks who can listen to an engine and know what's going on with it without looking or even being up close. I know this is mostly the result of spending an immense amount of time and attention, more than I would ever care to, but it is, well super-impressive.

And the same with beer. Folks who really know beer can tell so much from one quaff. Wine too, I reckon, and on and on ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I wonder if those angled saddles (to correct intonation) that you can get for Telecasters would work on this bridge.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,..._for_Tele.html
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

I did read the article on the Springsteen guitar. I just don't think it went deep enough. Then I found this thread. After reading this very interesting thread, particularly posts 15, 36, and 39, I started to believe the body was a Telecaster, not a Broadcaster or an Esquire. And then post #50 brings me back to my Broadcaster theory.

In any case, I think the most important statement on the whole thing, including Telecasters, Broadcasters, Esquires, and Mandocasters was stated in post 55:

Mark Knopfler toured extensively in the early years of Dire Straits with a Strat that turned out to be a fake. It helps to have a great guitar but maybe it's a case of... it's not really the guitar that matters so much... it's who plays it and what they do with it.
    My guess is the origins of that axe will remain an issue of much uncertainty, as time passes and recollections slowly change. But that little excursion sure was fun!

John, check out post #33 by Dan Margolis: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...Mandolin/page2
    Hopefully Dan or Amadillo have the specs on file. Looks like good work!

Saw a Musician's Friend email today with a 10% discount that was expiring today, so I called the toll free number, and they honored it on a pre-order. When I mentioned the code they had to check to see if it applied to a pre-order, and was told it was no problem. I can also cancel without incurring a charge as long as it is done before it ships. Looking forward to seeing more feedback from NAMM but figured at $269.99 with free shipping, it was a risk I could afford to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Jimmy Page has made a few appearances with his jet-black Tele with the Parsons-White String Bender. It was his favorite instrument in the studio, though it was cool back then to appear in concert with a fancy new Les Paul.
    Jimmy's B-Bender tele was not jet black, it was brown. And of course the Les Pauls he played in concert were certainly not new, they were classic bursts from 1959.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Bruce? Wherefore art thou?
    Whoops...
    Posted pics and a short review over here...