Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: New Fender Emando

Default Re: New Fender Emando

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post

Might need to do some mods, but there are some less expensive models available.
    You mean like gutting out the entire case?

First gig with mien yesterday, running it through a Fishman Loudbox Mini. Loved it. A little noisy, but I think I was stuck on the same circuit as the neon.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Black View Post
    You mean like gutting out the entire case?
    The way I see it, you have the following choices:

- gig bag
    - mod an off-the-shelf case not necessarily made for this model
    - wait for Fender to issue a case
    - wait for other companies to issue a case
    - build your own case
    - no case [hint: toss your new mandostrat in the trunk of a '55 Buick and drive around Texas back roads for a few months and you'll have period correct relicing. Make sure there are lots of hammers, screwdrivers, spare tires, etc. to get the full effect]

In short - be creative.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Has anyone seen the inside of the Epiphone case? If it is not shaped it might be perfect for a Mandobird.
    Johneeaaddgg

If someone had a big boat ....I checked into having emando cases made in china...a nice tolex, rectangle, vintage style, open nest case (sort of like a 70's Fender strat case)...quote for a quantity of 25 was about $21 a piece...shipping to US was $900....so...I went with G&G quality cases in California...same company that makes the Fender custom shop cases and I think made the original mandocaster cases....

Quote Originally Posted by MANNDOLINS View Post
    If someone had a big boat ....I checked into having emando cases made in china...a nice tolex, rectangle, vintage style, open nest case (sort of like a 70's Fender strat case)...quote for a quantity of 25 was about $21 a piece...shipping to US was $900...
    Were there any other expenses? That adds up to $1,425, which is $57 a pop, and if you can sell the cases for a C-note (which I think you could), you would clear $1,075 on them, which methinks would be worth doing as long as you have the $1,425 up front and there aren't additional import costs.
    so...I went with G&G quality cases in California...same company that makes the Fender custom shop cases and I think made the original mandocaster cases....
    You probably weren't stuck ordering 25 of those, but is the unit cost, with shipping, any less than $57?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

The way I see it, you have the following choices:

- gig bag
    - mod an off-the-shelf case not necessarily made for this model
    - wait for Fender to issue a case
    - wait for other companies to issue a case
    - build your own case
    - no case [hint: toss your new mandostrat in the trunk of a '55 Buick and drive around Texas back roads for a few months and you'll have period correct relicing. Make sure there are lots of hammers, screwdrivers, spare tires, etc. to get the full effect]

In short - be creative.
    One must also have the prerequisite long neck beer bottles, some almost empty, some full, the caps to said bottles and the old oil cans that were emptied into the engine but retained a little extra to leak in the trunk. I'm going to go to work on the bottles this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by John L View Post
    Has anyone seen the inside of the Epiphone case? If it is not shaped it might be perfect for a Mandobird.
    I remember seeing one a few years back, the interior was shaped, you'd need to mod it somewhat for a bird'
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If someone had a big boat ....I checked into having emando cases made in china...a nice tolex, rectangle, vintage style, open nest case (sort of like a 70's Fender strat case)...quote for a quantity of 25 was about $21 a piece...shipping to US was $900....so...I went with G&G quality cases in California...same company that makes the Fender custom shop cases and I think made the original mandocaster cases....
    Yes, these are great cases. I posted a pic of mine here. Kevin Schwab uses them for his emandos already.

Larry

In no particular order...

[/img]
    Just did a gig with Flogging Molly at The Palace in Melbourne, Rob is rockin his sig model on stage the days.

Are those Kludgesons?
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Looking at the cutouts in the mando wondering if the pickup would sound better up next to the neck or would that kill the treble?

I"ve replaced the bridge in mine with the Moongazer bridge. Big difference.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Someone that is buying 100+ guitar cases could make these part of the order and lower both the unit and shipping costs. Voila, an $80 emando case.
    Johneeaaddgg

FYI... The guys at Almuse/Moongazer have designed a new Mandocaster pickup replacement that is now available.

I have No Financial Interest, I just have a dark chocolate one on the way for myself and thought that I'd pass the news along to you all.

Here is the info on them that was posted on Facebook.

Officially on sale this month, some of the new owners of the re-released Fender Mandostrat have already identified the usual "weak E" problem......so following a number of enquiries.....here`s the latest addition to the Almuse range of replacement pickups, the MS4 which features graduated Neodymium magnets, resin potting to minimise feedback and a DC resistance of 6.5kOhms.

Available in black, white, ivory and dark chocolate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Almuse Mandocaster.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	99626  
    Last edited by Mike Black; Mar-14-2013 at 9:43am. Reason: Typing before coffee

15. The following members say thank you to Mike Black for this post:

Spruce 

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    One must also have the prerequisite long neck beer bottles, some almost empty, some full, the caps to said bottles and the old oil cans that were emptied into the engine but retained a little extra to leak in the trunk. I'm going to go to work on the bottles this afternoon.
    Exactly!

PS - I forgot about the oil cans - thanks for the reminder.
    PPS - Timing is important - you usually need a full 4 seasons so the rust really takes hold on the hardware. WD-40 not allowed as it's not vintage correct.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Black View Post
    FYI... The guys at Almuse/Moongazer have designed a new Mandocaster pickup replacement that is now available.

I have No Financial Interest, I just have a dark chocolate one on the way for myself and thought that I'd pass the news along to you all.

Here is the info on them that was posted on Facebook.

Officially on sale this month, some of the new owners of the re-released Fender Mandostrat have already identified the usual "weak E" problem......so following a number of enquiries.....here`s the latest addition to the Almuse range of replacement pickups, the MS4 which features graduated Neodymium magnets, resin potting to minimise feedback and a DC resistance of 6.5kOhms.

Available in black, white, ivory and dark chocolate.
    That's real smart [depending on price]. One of my clients was Q-Tuner who were the first to do neo pickups. I have a set in my bass and they totally rock.

Neo's are very powerful and extremely articulate - perfect for getting more of an acoustic tone, if that's what you're going for. The staggered design will help to get more out of the high strings to compensate for Fender angling the pickup in the wrong direction. They use the plural of "magnet," so if you take from that they've done a humbucker design, they'll be very quiet as well.

Take note: Neo's don't tend to sound very good when used for distorted tones, although these may be different. If you want a more rock tone, look into stratocaster single-coil sized rail humbuckers as well. They will be much hotter and give a better distorted tone, although you'll need either a new pickguard or mod the stock one.

- ---==< V >==--- -

With China it's all about the shipping. You'll probably pay the same amount for shipping 25 as you would a full container as they are used to selling by container.

If you are a gambling person that these will be a hit and Fender won't squeeze you out of the market later, there could be a business plan here.

- ---==< V >==--- -

On the "Mando Strat" name - I noticed yesterday that Eastwood calls their eMando the "Mandocaster". Is it possible that's the reason for Mando Strat?

- ---==< V >==--- -

Was the trade name 'Mandocaster; ever owned by Fender Co, or was it open, because it was just vernacular
    used by the Players, but never registered by the Company?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

If you are a gambling person that these will be a hit and Fender won't squeeze you out of the market later, there could be a business plan here.
    People will pay a C-note for a good emando case. If I ordered a container full of them, however, I'd have to rent a storage space and that would eat into profits.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

[QUOTE=Verne Andru;1144987]They use the plural of "magnet," so if you take from that they've done a humbucker design, they'll be very quiet as well.

QUOTE]
    Sorry, not a humbucker.....each pole piece has its own magnet but it`s a single coil!

23. The following members say thank you to Soundfarmer Pete for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    People will pay a C-note for a good emando case. If I ordered a container full of them, however, I'd have to rent a storage space and that would eat into profits.
    If it's any consolation you usually get the container for free.

- ---==< V >==--- -

There's a new one on E$%y right now for 240.00 shipped, folks...
    Here ya go...

I'm waiting for 150.00, dinged...
    ...and shipped...
    ...with case...

EDIT: Whoops, sold...

I installed a 4-saddle bridge from Moongazermusic.com immediately upon receiving my Mando-Strat. It fit perfectly; even the screw holes lined up. Now the intonation is perfect on every string. I plan to install the Almuse/Moongazer upgrade pickup as soon as I can get one, as I have an acute case of the weak E string syndrome. I believe that with these two upgrades, the Mando-Strat will be totally worthy. The factory neck and body seem like classic Fender quality to me. Playing through the clean channel in a Roland Cube Mini, I'm getting just the sound I want.

27. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Enthusiast for this post:

A matter of taste, but I don’t like the ‘tort pickguard / brown (ish) pick up cover color combination’ on my Mando Strat, although vintage correct. So I took the dimensions of the pu-cover and after a while the cad program came up with this to be 3D printed in white

I like the single-coil size humbuckers for Strats...... so with a little (a lot of) fantasy