Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: New Fender Emando

Default Re: New Fender Emando

I've been really enjoying my new Mandocaster. The only thing that I don't like about it is the side dots on the neck. I'm a side dot guy. I like to have the road map. The Mandocaster has like 1/32" white dots that are in the middle of the line where the fingerboard and the neck meet. They are very hard to see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandocaster dots.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	99357  

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Black View Post
    I've been really enjoying my new Mandocaster. The only thing that I don't like about it is the side dots on the neck. I'm a side dot guy. I like to have the road map. The Mandocaster has like 1/32" white dots that are in the middle of the line where the fingerboard and the neck meet. They are very hard to see.
    I feel your pain. Especially since in order to initiate some tasteful modifications you'd have to go out and hunt for a talented mandolin luthier and builder, preferably one with a growing reputation for fine work - and they're so hard to find, eh?

3. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

I received my mando strat yesterday wasnt expecting a $1000 dollar mando and it isnt. Nut slots are high in g and a string i think because when i fret down a few frets its out a lot from the open string noticeably. The other two strings dont do that and the intonation seems ok at the 12 fret chime.The bridge is pretty much useless like other theads stated.The sound is kind of like a strat in the in between position i said kind of. i still think trying to electrify a mando is fruitless unless you play distortion like the other thread it doesnt sound like a guitar or mando. I am not excited about dumping more money in a new mando like a bridge and pickup ect.My previous experience with a instruments if its trouble from the beginning its always trouble.I think you would be better off with a custom builder.

Registered User wellvis@well.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redrector View Post
    My previous experience with a instruments if its trouble from the beginning its always trouble.I think you would be better off with a custom builder.
    It sounds like you bought the wrong instrument for your needs. A custom builder will certainly build whatever you want, but it won't cost $300.
    Brad's Page of Steel:
    http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
    A website devoted to acoustic & electric steel guitars

Local shop had these BP-2327-008 Wilkinson Compensated Brass Saddle Set for $20. Definitely made a nice difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BP-2327-008-web.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	99374

I received my mando strat yesterday wasnt expecting a $1000 dollar mando and it isnt. Nut slots are high in g and a string i think because when i fret down a few frets its out a lot from the open string noticeably. The other two strings dont do that and the intonation seems ok at the 12 fret chime.The bridge is pretty much useless like other theads stated.The sound is kind of like a strat in the in between position i said kind of. i still think trying to electrify a mando is fruitless unless you play distortion like the other thread it doesnt sound like a guitar or mando. I am not excited about dumping more money in a new mando like a bridge and pickup ect.My previous experience with a instruments if its trouble from the beginning its always trouble.I think you would be better off with a custom builder.
    Even though I have a new one on the way, I might not mind having a used one for the right price. Are there any dents or dings? There shouldn't be any fret wear at this point. I have purchased two very nice electric mandolins from top name builders, and they are great. I think I will have fun with the Fender too. One advantage I have is I'm not looking for a guitar sound or an acoustic mandolin sound.

The bridge is pretty much useless like other theads stated.
    Oh, I think I could get it to intonate OK without that much hassle or expense...

i still think trying to electrify a mando is fruitless unless you play distortion like the other thread it doesnt sound like a guitar or mando.
    Yeah, it sounds like an old Fender Mandocaster...

I am not excited about dumping more money in a new mando like a bridge and pickup ect.
    Again, are we coming to the conclusion around here that the pickup doesn't cut it?
    Because I hear potential in the clips I've heard...

My previous experience with a instruments if its trouble from the beginning its always trouble.
    My experience with Fender-esque instruments is that you can always dial them in, even if you are not all that skilled in the tricks of the luthiery trade...
    Leo designed a working man's instrument, and this one seems to fall into that category....

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Again, are we coming to the conclusion around here that the pickup doesn't cut it?
    Because I hear potential in the clips I've heard...
    The pickup is not horrible. It just doesn't have much output.

My experience with Fender-esque instruments is that you can always dial them in, even if you are not all that skilled in the tricks of the luthiery trade...
    Leo designed a working man's instrument, and this one seems to fall into that category....
    Agreed!

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Leo designed a working man's instrument, and this one seems to fall into that category
    Not for nothing, but I fought with one of those original 3 saddle bridges on my Tele and never got to work right so I gave up and when with the newer, individual saddle bridge.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Mike these are made for tele two strings each saddle ,did you use four of these for mando or two?

Mike these are made for tele two strings each saddle ,did you use four of these for mando or two?
    I used two of the three.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandocaster bridge.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	99395  

Ordered a moongazer bridge to replace factory POS
    I looked at the Moongazer page and found it to be kind of confusing. Did you order the $45 bridge (OMF4UP) at the top of the page or one of the bridges just below? (4NPBS or 4NPRS)

Dan, OFM4UP at Moongazer. I spoke with Tom at Moongazer before I ordered, it looks like he's now clarified it on the bridge page.

16. The following members say thank you to John Eischen for this post:

I used two of the three.
    How is the intonation now? Perfect, or nearly perfect? Or somewhat nearly perfect?

These are good too, but would jack up the total price of the Mandocaster...
    You can dial them in to where the intonation is pretty much spot-on...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Margolis View Post
    How is the intonation now? Perfect, or nearly perfect? Or somewhat nearly perfect?
    I don't have the instrument here right now to double check again. But the intonation seemed perfect with these. I would have liked to put the bridge pieces on like in Bruce's picture, they seem like the perfect bridge pieces, but they weren't readily available. The ones I used puts the thing in tune and has a better sustain and feel to them than the original bridge piece.

20. The following members say thank you to Mike Black for this post:

Spruce 

i purchased the fender 'deluxe' mandolin gig bag today....it fits perfectly and i now have a gig bag for an f or an a should i want to leave their hard case(s) at home.....musicians friend has (had) them for $29.99....most retail stores will price match....i paid $31 locally.....

22. The following members say thank you to sbarnes for this post:

I was on the fence as to whether I really wanted one of these mandos. I've never actually seen or played one them before. I went to the big guitar show in Nashville today and came across this beauty....

Name:	Red Mando.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	99458

THIS made up my mind. It's a 62 all original Dakota Red. Now I know too what color I'll eventually paint mine.
    Steve Perry
    Sumi SF5 Birdseye

"Quit thinkin'... Just play"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perry View Post

THIS made up my mind. It's a 62 all original Dakota Red. Now I know too what color I'll eventually paint mine.
    Anyone ever seen an original with the matching peghead color?
    That was the norm back then on guitars, so I'm surprised the ones I've seen aren't painted...

NFI...This looks like the perfect case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Applause-Ten...item2ec664b95b

Still need to check with them about the dimentions. I'll let you know when I get a response.

Here are the inside measurements of this case.

Inside Dims
    Length – 29”
    Width – 10-3/8”
    Depth – 3-7/8”
    Body – 14-1/2” End pin to neck rest

27. The following members say thank you to Mike Black for this post:

Another gig bag option for the emando is the protec...they should be available soon. Very nicely made and affordable. (NFI)
    http://www.protecmusic.com/items.asp...bCategoryID=31
    I've been using their larger 1/2 size guitar bag for my octave mandolins...the mando bag is a scaled down version

Very Cool Mr. Mann to contribute to a thread about a competing product. Obviously the Fender mandolins are not on par with your custom hand built emando so I use the term competing very loosely.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perry View Post
    I was on the fence as to whether I really wanted one of these mandos. I've never actually seen or played one them before. I went to the big guitar show in Nashville today and came across this beauty....

Name:	Red Mando.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	99458

Dang it! I just had myself talked out of a new mando-strat. Now I want a red one. And a seafoam green, perhaps a sonic blue one, a blonde one, and..................
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo