Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: New Fender Emando

Default Re: New Fender Emando

Well we can paint , add stickers or modify these babies too our hearts content . and in 50 yrs people will wonder how some one could wreck such a nice vintage instrument

2. The following members say thank you to rico mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The truly annoying thing is that several years ago a guy on eBay was selling a mandolin case that was "faulty". They were too thin for a mandolin and we basically rectangular cases for this mandolin. I bought one for a mini strat I built from a Stewmac kit when my son was young. I wish I had more. The mini strat might be losing it's case. I think I pad 30 bucks with the shipping for it.
    I started a thread on cases.. seems to me there is at least a small market for a rectangular case that would fit many solid body mandolins. Sort of like the generic ones built for electric guitar. The guitar cases sell for about $60-80.
    Johneeaaddgg

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John L View Post
    I started a thread on cases.. seems to me there is at least a small market for a rectangular case that would fit many solid body mandolins. Sort of like the generic ones built for electric guitar. The guitar cases sell for about $60-80.
    Probably not cheap, but the case Kevin Schwab offers for his emandos fits like a glove. The Fender-style tweed would go great with the new MandoStrat. The case is made by G&G. Excellent quality and protection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GGCase.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	99050

Larry

I pulled this thing down and it has the brand name Sonica on it. Some luck searching the web. I find this. That's the same case only deeper. No luck yet following the URL back. Mine is thinner and looks like this (excuse the dust, that case has been on that shelf for a few years):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0036.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	99052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0037.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	99053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0038.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	99054  

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I pulled this thing down and it has the brand name Sonica on it. Some luck searching the web. I find this. That's the same case only deeper. No luck yet following the URL back. Mine is thinner and looks like this (excuse the dust, that case has been on that shelf for a few years):
    To my eyes, this looks exactly like the Access Stage 3 case. They're available at Elderly and other places for about $149 (admittedly that's double the $60-$80 you mentioned). The mandolin in my avatar is in one of them right now. It's been great - solid, nice space for tuners/accessories. Not as good as a true flight case, but plenty serviceable day in and day out.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Just looked at the Access Stage-three. It's nicer than this one.

Nope, just found a bigger picture. The only real difference seems to be the handle. Damn, this was a better deal than I ever figured. If I could get the source on the Sonica full I'd probably buy one of those.

No mods required, a slight gap between the bottom plate of new bridge and pickgaurd, it's under the strings. I probably notice it more than anyone else will.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdboyd View Post
    Did you have to do any modifications to the pick guard, etc...when installing the new bridge?

Bought the MandoStrat locally, but just got a 20% off coupon from MF, couldn't pass up purchasing a Roland Micro Cube. Been trying to purchase locally when I can but with free shipping that was a price I couldn't pass up!
    All good things come in fifths

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    To my eyes, this looks exactly like the Access Stage 3 case. They're available at Elderly and other places for about $149 (admittedly that's double the $60-$80 you mentioned). The mandolin in my avatar is in one of them right now. It's been great - solid, nice space for tuners/accessories. Not as good as a true flight case, but plenty serviceable day in and day out.
    My point exactly, there are lots of electric guitar cases for $60-80 and they would be perfectly suitable for a $200-300 emando if they were only smaller. I have a 5 string that I found a case for - for that one I found a ukulele case but it won't fit most emandos due to the shape.
    Johneeaaddgg

My point exactly, there are lots of electric guitar cases for $60-80 and they would be perfectly suitable for a $200-300 emando if they were only smaller. I have a 5 string that I found a case for - for that one I found a ukulele case but it won't fit most emandos due to the shape.
    ... and if any manufacturers are reading this, I'll take a tweed one!
    Johneeaaddgg

11. The following members say thank you to John L for this post:

Blog Entries

There just isn't enough of a market for a manufacturer to make a $60 to $80 hard shell case for an electric mandolin.

At ~$60, the Rockbag Mandolin bag by Warwick is the ticket. I got one of these for my Ryder EM-44 and loved it. I believe the Ryder's new owner (Journeybear) is still using it, and gigging regularly with it. Great, sturdy bag (with PVC-piping). Highly recommended. NFI.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Mine came last week and will be back from tweaking in a couple days. It sounds really good both plugged in and unplugged...great string balance. Intonation was surprisingly good and the neck shape is a wonderful semi-v. Factory set up was worse than terrible and there were two bad pick guard warps that are getting screws. The gig bag is over sized and could house another. The wood choices are very good. The fret slots are almost thru the board, and the side dots are smallish or not well positioned.

Overall, i wasn't expecting much, and it's better than the Mando Bird. The Fender is easily the better of the two. i wonder about Fender's longevity, tho'...being 2.5 mil in debt, and letting Amazon and the big box stores like Guitar Center and Music and Arts move in on any local dealership's territory, nudging many little guys out of business. Fender needs fast cash and is killing its grass roots. It's an example of the health of the industry itself...poor management deja vu all over again.

So, i guess i'm satisfied enough with the Mando Strat, as they may not be offered long.

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JimRichter For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

The Mando-Strat is as good as any electric mandolin I've owned--old or new. It is a steal (I paid $250 for mine through Music123) and the best buy in an emando. I owned an original '63 and this is as good as that one. No reason to dog this one at all. No, it doesn't have pull pots, slip coils, humbuckers, etc. But neither does a Strat. This is straight ahead rock and roll.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JimRichter For This Useful Post:

john homer

Jim, can you tell us your amp and pedals set up for this video? Loved your arrangement!
    john homer

john homer

Also, are you in standard mando tuning?
    john homer

Blog Entries

Standard mando tuning. Though I'm not a fan of non-tube guitar amps (except the Pignose), the amp is a Fender Mustang III modeling amp. I don't have any high powered amps, as I prefer 20 to 25 watt combos. I bought this one in the event I'm ever in a rock situation where I needed effects and volume. It is a pretty decent amp for under $300. I think I could actually gig with it, though I'd have to become more acquainted with it to set up a remote pedal controller. The sound was a standard preset based upon Santana's Europa sound.

Searching for the Sound

THAT'S the demo I'm talkin' bout .... very cool (as were the pants?). I'm still waiting for mine, but Great inspiration, Jim ... I best get practicing ...
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Super job on the demo, Jim. The pants are awesome.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    Super job on the demo, Jim. The pants are awesome.
    only the best fleece from Wally World

Great demo Jim!
    Mine arrived this evening, it's a blast. Had to lower the action, and intonation was terrible. After adjustments two strings are perfect up the neck... Yeah, I'll change the bridge, but I could live with it as it is now. It feels good, solid and indestructible like a Tele.

I got mine this afternoon on my lunch break! Mass Street Music here in town got a couple and I got mine straight out of the box. It was nice to be able to pick from the two. They were both great. Mine is like John's...I need to lower the action and adjust the intonation. I'm pretty excited about it. I can't wait to plug it into the old Orange amp tonight.

Jim,
    my brain was trying hard to reconcile the the plaid and the music to each other nice job on the though!!! you rock!

Thank you, Mr. Richter. I've been a fan since finding your youtube videos (before I even found the Cafe). Anyhow, great demo. While I'm at it, I'll add that you're one of the few people that can pull off a pajama jam.

29. The following members say thank you to JimRichter for this post:

I just ordered mine and expect to get it in a couple of days. Also ordered a Pignose 7-100 to go with it. I hate MAS, and Jim's video didn't help my resistance.

Frank

31. The following members say thank you to frankmsu for this post: