Thread: Smelly mandolin solutions?

Blog Entries

Default Smelly mandolin solutions?

Greetings. I recently acquired a '24 Snake in a modern case. My only issue is, the mandolin has a weird smell ... something between cloves and cinnamon or granny's dead-flower potpourri. It's quite pungent.

Any suggests on how to neutralize this?

I had it out of the case for some extensive playing for the past four days, and the odor hasn't decreased. I kind of like to keep my instruments in cases because bad things have happened when I don't.

Any suggestions? I have a '21 Junior that was a bit stinky when I got it three or four years ago, but it aired out pretty quick. The '24 is quite a bit smellier. It is, after all, a snakehead, so maybe that's a factor. (Joke alert.)

Did a quick search for this and didn't find anything. My apologies for asking for help with this embarrassing mandolin B.O. problem.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Default Re: Smelly mandolin solutions?

Some people call it "vintage perfume". Try putting it in a box with an open container of baking soda. The baking soda might absorb some of the odor if you let it sit in there for a while.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Blog Entries

Just found the posts about drier sheets and coffee and barely and charcoal and ozone and etc. Will start experimenting.

It does bring up an issue to ask about when shopping over the internet for vintage mandolins: "Does it smell funny?"
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Lots of instruments that have sat around in their cases, often in attics, for 50+ years get a distinctive odor. I (more or less) enjoy it as an indicator of "vintage," but others may not.

There are also preparations that can mask odors, but then you're left with the perfume they contain. Tradeoff.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I de-stank an old arcade cabinet with the dryer sheets and baking soda solutions over the course of a month. not sure how to put a bowl of baking soda inside a mandolin/case though ... maybe put it in a larger box with a bowl of baking soda you swap out every few days.
    --
    Fender FM-52E (2003)
    Rogue RM-100A (2009)
    The Loar LM-400 w/ Cumberland Acoustics Bridge (05/2010)
    unknown project fake resonator from the 30s-40s.

I have had success with the dryer sheet method in most cases (pardon pun). I had a recent case with a guitar that had the weirdest smell that I couldn't seem to cure. The sides and back had what looked like poly finish that was thick and melted looking in places. I decided to strip the sides and back material off. It seemed to take forever but the result was the odor is gone and the new finish looks great. I used Tru-oil. The neck had a melted spot on it as well plus it looked like dark brown paint instead of stain so it too was stripped and turned out well, it was mahogany.
    Good luck with your efforts.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Out of the case , played more often is all I do..

maybe my nose needs a better pick?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Do a search for mildew and you will find quite a few threads.

I gave up on my snakehead case-- I stopped playing the mandolin because it made me choke -- very unpleasant. I solved the problem by using a TKL case. I still have the old case but never use it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

So if I mix up some cloves and cinnamon, (or try to acquire some dead-flower potpourri), then I can give my instrument a vintage vibe!

This may be a product that goes with distressing your instrument.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

"Lots of instruments that have sat around in their cases, often in attics, for 50+ years get a distinctive odor. I (more or less) enjoy it as an indicator of "vintage," but others may not."

When Wyatt Fawley discovered the Loar that he sold to Ricky Skaggs, the very first thing that cued him in to the authenticity of the instrument was when he opened the case and got socked with "that smell...."

Check out the "Mongo Has a Scent Problem" thread in the Builders and Repair sub-forum.

By the description of the smell it sounds to me like someone already tried to neutralize the smell.

Blog Entries

The results of my scientific expedition are in.

1. The '24 Snakehead is kept for 10 days in a hermitically sealed case on Funk & Wagnels' back porch (actually, in my home office).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HermeticallySealed.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	96685

2. The case is opened and the Bounce drier sheet extracted from the sound hole.

Name:	RemovingTheBounce.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	96686

3. The aforementioned sound hole is sniffed and the "vintage smell" judged to be effectively cured.

Name:	PassesSmellTest.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	96688

4. A sheet of Bounce is retained in the case as insurance against the return of noxious vapors.

Name:	Insurance.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	96689