Thread: Composition Prize

Default Composition Prize

I am very happy and honored to report that I recently received the second prize in the 2012 “Concurso Internacional de Composicion para formaciones de Plectro Jose Fernadez Rosas” (International Plectrum Composition Competition ‘Jose Fernandez Rosas’ 2012), based in Spain, for my new piece “Urban Sketches.”

A list of previous winners can be found at:
    http://www.bip-rioja.com/03concpremios.html

Video performances of some of the previous winners may be found at http://www.laordendelaterraza.com/pa...video2010.html.

My thanks to Mark Davis of the Providence Mandolin Orchestra for alerting me to this competition. We will be premiering the piece on January 27, 2013 at a concert in Rhode Island. I'm still somewhat in a state of disbelief, since this is the first thing I've ever entered, but the 500 Euros prize money will help the feeling go away. I don't know of other competitions. It might be useful to post them if readers know of any.

My mini-opera, The Frog Prince, originally written for 3 voices, a narrator and mandolin orchestra, will be performed in a piano transcription at St. Charles Community College near St. Louls on January 12 and 13.

Default Re: Composition Prize

Let me be the first one to congratulate you!

I have enjoyed everything of yours that I've ever heard, so I'm sure that this one, too, is a fine composition. I doubt that I will be able to attend the premiere (as I will be flying to Athens a couple of days later, and last-minute madness will surely consume me and my time summarily), but I will look forward to either some subsequent live performance, or some showing of this piece on YouTube perhaps. Knowing how well you write for the medium, this sounds very, very promising...

Three cheers!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

"Urban Sketches" is a great piece, and the PMO is really looking forward to giving its premiere in late January. I will post our program about a week or so in advance. We're also giving an encore performance of Victor Kioulaphides' "Concerto a Pizzico" plus a few other surprises (stay tuned).

An article about Owen's new piece and the composition prize should appear soon in the CMSA newsletter.
    Robert A. Margo

Victor,
    Coming from you, this is a great compliment.
    Many thanks, Owen

...and thanks Bob for all your help and encouragement.

Wonderful and congratulations, Owen.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

That's fantastic news! Congratulations to you Owen

and

Best greetings,

Alex.

Let me add my congratulations to the throng! I look forward to hearing "Urban Sketches" someday as well.

John G.

Congrats! I'm eager to hear.

A performance of Urban Sketches (I think on bandurrias and guitars) is posted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozKuVqgF1mc

Congratulations, Mr. Harford, on this fine composition.
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

Well, I am happy and honored to report that I recently received the second prize (again) in the 2014 International Plectrum Composition Competition ‘Jose Fernandez Rosas’ 2014, based in Spain, for my new piece “Carousel.” I'm not sure when this piece will be performed -- perhaps by the Providence Mandolin Orchestra (of which I am a member), or the New American Mandolin Ensemble (NAME).

***applause, applause, applause!!!***

Three cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Congratulations, Owen!!!

Best,

Alex.

Victor and Aex, thanks for your comments. Will let you know when there. Is a recording of it.