Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Cafe... Advice on quality beginner mandolin? The Loar?

Default New to the Cafe... Advice on quality beginner mandolin? The Loar?

Hey everybody!

Well, I've been lurking on these forums for a while, so I decided that I should make an account. I am a junior in mechanical engineering at NC State (go pack! ) I've played acoustic guitar, piano, and ukulele for a few years now, but not the mandolin. I fell in love with the instrument about a year ago and have wanted one ever since; I think I might have to get one very soon.

I was wondering if anybody had some advice about a good quality F style mandolin for around $500. I know enough about music and instruments to recognize and appreciate a good one (though it's apparently hard to find shops that have mandolins); I seem to be able to pick up instruments pretty quickly, so I want something that will last me a couple years until I can afford something better.

I've done a lot of research, a fair amount of it on these forums, and the one brand that stands out in my price range seems to be The Loar. I know there have been a lot of threads about these mandolins, but I had some specific questions... The LM 520 sounds like a lot of mandolin for the money; I have heard countless good reviews about it. Are there any other mandolins around $500 that can match this one?

The LM 500 is apparently the same as the 520, just with fancier appointments, right? That's not worth the extra $$$, I think. I have heard great things about the 600 as well, but that is getting well out of my price range. How about Michael Kelly's entry level F-style mandolin? I haven't heard about them very much on this forum but they look pretty nice. I was looking on The Mandolin Store earlier, where they have an mp3 of all of their mandolins, and I ran across the Kentucky KM 600 for a similar price to The Loar LM 520. It sounded bright and woody, where the LM 520 sounded mellow and a bit tinny; though that may just be the recording. I can't seem to find much about it- does anyone have any experience with this model?

I will probably buy online, since I can't play anyway- though I think I would know enough to tell a decent mandolin from a terrible one in person (I've played with a few in shops, nothing very good. I've got my ukulele tuned in 5ths and I'm practicing some Bach using mandolin-style picking though I would definitely buy from someone who does a really good setup, because I am not skilled enough to do anything but the most basic setup work... I have heard wonderful things about Folkmusician and a few mentions of The Mandolin Store- but they are nowhere near as detailed about their setup work as Folkmusician. Does anybody have experience with them? Do they also do a good setup?

Dang! That's a long post. Sorry about that.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!
    -Ian

Default Re: New to the Cafe... Advice on quality beginner mandolin? The L

Try Kentucky mandos.

Contact Robert at FolkMusician.com and let him fix you up with the Loar. You will be happy.

My first mando was a $20 garage sale special

Carpe Mandolinium

For on-line sales, specifically from the two places you mentioned:

• The Mandolin Store does great set-ups on their instruments. They just don't talk about it much on their website. You can call and talk to Dennis.
    • FolkMusician does great set-ups on their instruments. Their website gives you a run-down of their procedure. You can call and talk to Robert.

In case you'd like to travel a bit and try out some instruments:

• There's a place called Harry's Guitar Shop at 616 Glenwood Avenue in Raleigh. They carry Eastman mandolins, which is another brand you might want to try, though they might be a bit pricey for you right now. I don't know anything about Harry's mandolin set-ups; as its name implies, it's principally a guitar store.
    • Harry and Jeanie West (different Harry) have a store in Statesville. They carry several brands of mando at different price points, and they can do some repairs, although, as before, I don't know anything about their mandolin set-ups.

Oh, yes, one last thing, a "P.S." as it were: Go Tarheels
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

I bought from folk musician and it was a positive experience. Also got to play a bunch of sub 1k mandos at elderly recently. The Eastman 315 sounded good, but I'm happy w/ my breedpove, very comfortable.

Blog Entries

Hey, can you borrow someone's mandolin for a week or two? Most mandolin players you are likely to meet have more than one instrument, perhaps someone you know is willing to lend you a beater for while.

Then, for the cost of returning a favor, or a case of really cheap beer, you can play around with the thing to see what you like and at least confirm you are going to like it, or perhaps love it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Wilson View Post
    I was wondering if anybody had some advice about a good quality F style mandolin for around $500.
    Why do you want an F style? No accoustic advantage. Just pricy. For $500 you could buy more mandolin in an A style, or better yet a flat top.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I have not played any F-styles in that price range I would rate very highly. I have played quite a few A-styles that I thought were really decent instruments.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by John McCoy View Post
    Go Tarheels
    Nooooo!!! Why would you say that!?

I've been to Harry's before to play around with guitars... I guess I wasn't paying much attention, or maybe they didn't have the mandolins then. Good to know. I might also stop by that shop in Statesville on my way home this winter. Thanks for the reply and for your research; unless that all came from your head, in which case I would be impressed

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Hey, can you borrow someone's mandolin for a week or two?
    Actually, I have never met a mandolin player (besides Chris Thile; he probably wouldn't let me borrow his). I haven't ever even seen someone playing a mandolin other than at concerts. I live in North Carolina and travel around in the mountains, prime mandolin territory, I would think... but apparently mandolin folk are elusive...

Carpe Mandolinium

(sorry, gang--duplicate posting)
    == JOHN ==

--Berthold Auerbach

Carpe Mandolinium

Actually, I have never met a mandolin player (besides Chris Thile; he probably wouldn't let me borrow his). I haven't ever even seen someone playing a mandolin other than at concerts. I live in North Carolina and travel around in the mountains, prime mandolin territory, I would think... but apparently mandolin folk are elusive...
    The Steep Canyon Raiders are based in Chapel Hill.

Should be mandolins at odd, unpredictable times over the summer at Tweetsie.

One of the Grand Gentlemen of this forum, screen name "f5loar" is in Salisbury (I think).

Asheville, Hendersonville.

Arthur Smith lives in--or at least close to--Charlotte

And all of that's without crossing any state borders

Nooooo!!! Why would you say that!?
    I'm a Tarheel born,
    I'm a Tarheel bred;
    And when I'm gawn,
    I'll be a Tarheel dead.
    == JOHN ==

--Berthold Auerbach

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Why do you want an F style?
    Darn. I knew somebody was going to ask that. Well, I haven't completely ruled out an A style; there are a few that I like and a few more that are just downright sexy (those are crazy expensive though). However, I kind of want an F style and there is absolutely no other reason than, umm... I like how it looks. I feel terrible for that, but there it is...

Although, you've got me thinking now. Maybe I'll look into A styles a bit more and see if there are some I like. Does anyone know anything about Eastman's "entry" level mando? It looks quite nice...

I'm a Tarheel born,
    I'm a Tarheel bred;
    And when I'm gawn,
    I'll be a Tarheel dead.
    I like that.
    I don't really know what you would call NCSU students... wolves? Always thought it was weird to have a collective noun as a mascot. "Wolfpack" is more intimidating though, isn't it?

Carpe Mandolinium

OK...here's the skinny (my take, at least) on A- vs. F-style.

I won't rule out the possibility that there's a very, very slight difference in sound between the two, but if there is, most players (and far fewer listeners) can hear it.

So, if dollars-and-cents is the principal concern (when isn't it?) (BTW, Tonight's winning Powerball numbers: 5, 23, 16, 22, 29 - Powerball 6), go with the A-style so you don't have to pay for the huge extra work the luthier put into the scroll and points.

BUT...there's something to be said for owning an instrument that you love looking at, something you regard as a thing of beauty.

Somewhere there's a dividing line. Only you can decide. FWIW, I started on an A, upgraded to an A, and then upgraded to an F.
    == JOHN ==

--Berthold Auerbach

Carpe Mandolinium

I like that.
    I don't really know what you would call NCSU students... wolves? Always thought it was weird to have a collective noun as a mascot. "Wolfpack" is more intimidating though, isn't it?
    On the football field, ABSOLUTELY. Wanna play basketball?
    == JOHN ==

--Berthold Auerbach

Carpe Mandolinium

I like that.
    FWIW, I did go to Chapel Hill. But before that I went to UNCSA (then NCSA). We're the FIGHTING PICKLES and proud of it.
    == JOHN ==

--Berthold Auerbach

Quote Originally Posted by john mccoy View Post
    we're the fighting pickles and proud of it.
    wow.
    Probably the most ridiculous one I've heard yet.

Carpe Mandolinium

FWIW, I did go to Chapel Hill. But before that I went to UNCSA (then NCSA). We're the FIGHTING PICKLES and proud of it.

wow.
    Probably the most ridiculous one I've heard yet.
    It's real. Check the website.

And I was there for the first football game. (My roommate, who today is principal horn in one of the top orchestras in North America, was the quarterback [actually, he was the entire backfield.])We lost to a Wake Forest fraternity, by a score of something like 42-3. But our marching band was terrific. A piccolo and a bass trombone. Everyone was thrilled during the half-time when they formed the school initials on the "field."

Signing off for the night now.
    == JOHN ==

--Berthold Auerbach

1. Loar, Kentucky, and Eastman mandolins are all available in your price range, as is the Rover RM-75, which is kind of a "sleeper" F-model that a lot of people seem to like.

2. You really do pay a premium for the F-model ornamentation. For example, here are two models from Eastman's "economy" 300 series, both listed by the same dealer, Elderly Instruments: the A-model MD-305 for $420, and the F-model MD-315 for $660.

3. No substitute for getting out there and putting your hands on a variety of mandolins before you make the final purchase decision. Harry & Jeannie West list a wide variety of mandolins on their website, and you can browse instruments in your price range.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Should be easy to get a mandolin for a quality beginner
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Without wanting to be terribly predictable, have you considered a flattop? You don't say what musical style you want to play, but given your other instruments I suspect you're not a hardcore bluegrasser. Bluegrass is just about the only genre where there is a clear musical reason why archtop mandolins are preferred -- the mandolin has to chop on the off-beats which needs the focussed punch of an archtop. In other genres (folk, Irish/Scottish, old-time, jazz, blues, rock, choro, classical etc) a flattop is different but at least as capable, and sometimes more so. A Big Muddy, Gypsy or Redline flattop is well within your budget and is by no means just a beginners' mandolin. Doesn't look (or sound) anything like an F-style, though...

Martin

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I prefer the Kentucky mandolins over The Loar, but that's just my ears. A lot of people like The Loar, and they are fine mandolins for their price range. So are Eastmans. I just think the Kentucky has a little woodier tone. And I'm not going to rant about As being more bang for the buck than Fs, but it's true. Especially at the $500 range.
    Living’ in the Mitten

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Isn't Tony Williamson somewhere near Raleigh? Go watch his band play and take a listen to his playing (and mandolin)! Listen to him playing on YouTube.

Don't ask me about f-models, 'cause I just don't own any (did, but got rid of them in favor of a-models). That said, I'd be completely happy if the only mandolin I owned was my Flatiron 1N "Army-Navy" style mandolin. It's a flattop. It uses light-gauge strings. It's very loud (when needed) and fun to play. They can be had for under $500.00 in private sales. Elderly usually has a few in stock (for more money). They have some resale potential. But if you're like me, you won't sell it if you got it.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread though.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A