Thread: My Eastman 515 Review

I just recieved my Eastman Mandolin MD515 #10 from Gianna Violins.

First, Let me say that dealing with Steve at Gianna was unbeliavable. He answered dozen of questions and sent pics. I could not be happier with my dealings with Steve from Gianna Violins.

Now for some background, I have been playing the mandolin for about three years. I have played Guitar for about 15. My other mandolin is a Michael Kelly legacy that I bought back when you could order direct and they were half the price. I was never impressed with the MK, but you get what you pay for.
    I have played several low end mandolins from johnsons, to morgan monroes, MK's, Alvarez, Washburns and Kentucky's.

Now for the review:
    I will compare the Eastman with my current MK
    THe craftmanship far exceeds the MK. I haven't played any MK's that have been made in the last year or so. So if they have improved this might not be true, but the 515 overall with the finish to the wood greatly exceeds any of the previous Mandos that I mentioned above. There are some small blemishis (or however you spell it) here and there in the finish, but you would have to stare at it with your nose on the body to see it. The inside of the scroll is a little rough, but I guess that is expected.
    Tone and Playability
    I honestly for the price sounds great. Its far louder than my MK, the sustain is far better. I always thought the MK sounded like it always had dead strings on it even when they were new J74s. It's lively. It has a good bark. It honestly kicks the MK and the previous brand's fannies.
    Cons
    I don't really like the tuners. They seem smaller or something and they are reversed (I'm always tuning the wrong way). I'm not real sure about the bridge either. Its a vintage style and I have heard they will lean forward. Also on mine the outer "E" line or cut was not as deep as the inner "E" so higher up on the neck you can feel the out "E" strings sits higher. It really doesn't mess with the playablity, just feels sort of weird. I thinks somewhere in one of the threads someone said the 515 was twangy. It might be a little. It does have a bright sound to it, but I wouldn't count this as a con. It sounds great.
    Conclusion
    For the price in comparison with other manufactures in the same price range, I honestly cannot see how you would pick one of the others over an Eastman. Besides, you even get a great case with it. With the $840-$850 price tag, It is a definite buy in my opinion. Now if I can only save up to get an A style. Does anyone want a nice Blonde MK f style?
    Here are some pics and by the way, I am no way affiliated with eastman or giannis, etc. Just a carolina boy who loves picki'n.

--Carolinamando
    There are alot of finger prints on these pics.

[B][B]

Yep, they're quite incredible. Very impressive.
    ..... f5joe

Richard J.

I put (actually Steve put) Grover tuners on my 615 and a Randy Wood vintage style bridge from Elderly (w/ the 1921 patent stamp). That does the trick.
    "The older I get, the better I was!"

Glad you like it. The Grovers take special bushings to put in. No big deal. I like it. I like the aftermarket bridges much better, too.

I trust Gianna was OK to deal with too! I like working with her, I must admit.

Steve
    Stephen Perry

Richard J.

I guess you can never go on strike, huh Steve? Being married to the management and all .......
    "The older I get, the better I was!"

That's real nice carolinamando! I like the Sunburst finish! I'm still lovin' my 515! It's great!
    Jim Bevins

Blog Entries

the flame on the back looks like its from an entirely different species than the maples I've seen on other mandos--the way its so broad and expands out at the edges.

Very pretty, just a different look. Nothing wrong with that!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Yes Jasona, I have wondered about that also. It seems to be the norm with the Eastmans.
    Does anyone know just what kind of maple they use and anything about it? It certainly has a different appearance.

Here's my 615. It looks quite normal to me.

..... f5joe

Wow! That's nice!
    Jim Bevins

I am not sure of the wood either, but I remember reading some thread where someone asked Gordon from Eastman, what species of Spruce and Maple he was using. He had a lengthy reply that he tried to find out, but could not translate it to an american species or something like that.

F5joe,

Do you want to sell that mandolint to me? That looks nice, It I knew how i would post pics of mine.

ace: I have a new 815 on the way. This one may be for sale if the 815 is as good.
    ..... f5joe

Blog Entries

The 615 looks like typical North American maple to me, and different than the first posted. Porbably a chinese species then? Interesting.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence