Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner

Default Beginner

Hi
    I have never owned a Mandolin and was wondering if the Mandolin found at this link would be a good beginners Mandolin. If not what would be a good beginners Mandolin.
    http://www.amazon.com/Saga-APM-1-App...ords=Mandolins

Thanks

Default Re: Beginner

Hi,

In short, NO.

This paticular "Saga" Branded instrument is not a good choice. Saga makes some of the best lower price mandolins under the "Kentucky" Brand. Saga also makes the "Rover" brand, but if at all possible, you are better off with a lower model Kentucky. As a beginner, it is important that you get a properly setup mandolin. This is not dependent on the brand or model, but where you purchase your mandolin. Mandolin in these price ranges will not play well, unless the dealer sets them up correctly. Most online sources will not be setting up the mandolin correctly, so be careful where you buy. Expect to pay more for the same instrument if it comes from a dealer that does a good setup.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Is there a inexpensive Mandolin which you would suggest for a beginner?

I just looked at your website The Rover RM-50 is that any good?

The Rover RM-50 has surprisingly good tone, though I typically recommend the Kentucky KM-150 as the best starter mandolin. Once you drop down below this a lot of corners are cut. The RM-50 stands out due to the fact that is it actually a carved mandolin. Most mandolins at this price point will be made from laminated wood, or if they are all solid, they would be pressed into shape. Pressed isn't that bad, but carved will usually be better. Where the RM-50 doesn't fair so well, is the finish quality, tuner quality, bridge quality. These are to be expected for a mandolin at this price point and the poor finish won't hurt anything.

The problem here is that an Archtop mandolin costs quite a bit more to make than a guitar. Less than $200 gets you a pretty nice guitar, but not so much so for a mandolin.

A lot of players are happy with their RM-50 mandolins, but if possible jump up to a Kentucky. Buying used is fine and may get you a better mandolin within your budget.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

It will sound like a mondolin... As I've have read here, you would get one that is set-up right from Robert. Never personally purchased an instrument from them. And NFI (No Financial Interest) on my part. But have read a lot of posts from other individuals who have. And they have high praise for them. As Robert said..."As a beginner, it is important that you get a properly setup mandolin." These little beasts we play are very temperamental with set ups. If there is anyway possible that you could move up to the Kentucky branded mandos. I think you will be happier with it.

Robert beat me answering

Unfortunately it is not within my budget but of course no one says that a budget is permanently set
    Thanks

....Have another question besides the obvious shape differences is there any differences between the F-style and the A-style?

No real difference and an A costs quite a bit less.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

I noticed that! Do you have a store in Reno?

I do.

Are you within driving distance?
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

I am indeed...more or less

Well, there we have it. You need to come over and check out mandolins.

We have an extremely high turn over rate, so I rarely have more than 10-20 mandolins setup and in good playing condition. If you give me some notice, I will make sure I have something you are interested in setup and ready to try.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Well, there we have it. You need to come over and check out mandolins.

We have an extremely high turn over rate, so I rarely have more than 10-20 mandolins setup and in good playing condition. If you give me some notice, I will make sure I have something you are interested in setup and ready to try.
    I purchased a mandolin from Mr. Fear a while back and can only say if possible you will do yourself a favor by dealing with him. He answered all my questions honestly and could have answered them with the intent to make more money but he didn't. I would definately recommend him.

Thanks Ill be up there some time than

Folkmusician
    The A-style Morgan Monroe Mahogany Mandolin would you suggest that over the Kentucky? I personally like the looks on that one better than the sunburst. But is it better sounding or about the same? Same quality?

I truly couldn't be happier with my Morgan Monroe MMA-150 that I got from Robert at Folk Musician. You should look at that one as well.

Thanks

Stick with a Kentucky. They make a fine mandolin.

20. The following members say thank you to cayuga red for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by cayuga red View Post
    Stick with a Kentucky. They make a fine mandolin.
    Can't argue with that. Head and shoulders above the rest.

Folkmusician
    The A-style Morgan Monroe Mahogany Mandolin would you suggest that over the Kentucky? I personally like the looks on that one better than the sunburst. But is it better sounding or about the same? Same quality?
    I personally prefer the tone of mandolins with spruce/maple construction. The Mahogany is not quite bright enough. If I were comparing something to the Kentucky, it would be the MMA-150 that Eric has. The KM-150 will have a brighter voice than the MAM-200. Overall build quality is in the same range. The MAM-200 does have a better tailpiece and a lifetime warranty.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

I find myself in the same situation as Zantal. I am wanting to begin a late start [at 50yo] on learning to play the mandolin and am looking at either the LM-400 or the Kentucky KM-505 as my first instrument.

Being a scientist by training I of course joined here and have read as much as I can and continue to research what I am getting myself into! However, I have always loved the sound of the mandolin and figure why not start now.

So I would greatly appreciate as well any recommendations on the two I am looking at. What would make one choose one over the other, etc.

The LM-400 and KM-505 are both great mandolins. You would do fine with either.

The KM-505 has good tuners, the LM-400 has even better tuners. Not a big factor though.
    The KM-505 has a more dry Bluegrass tone, the LM-400 has a fuller tone.
    The KM-505 has a radiused finger board and standard Mandolin fret wire, the LM-400 has larger fret wire, a flat fingerboard and a slightly larger neck.

Assuming both have an equal setup, which has the best playability will be dependent on the individual player. I like radiused finger boards and larger frets. If I could only have one or the other, I would take larger frets over a radiused board. I prefer fuller tone, but am not strictly a bluegrass guy.

This is a case, where you almost have to play or hear them in person to decide which you prefer. They are both good, though different.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

25. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Thanks Robert...having not played any stringed instrument with any proficiency...or basically having toyed around with a guitar on and off a bit, I dont have any real clue about how radiused vs flat fingerboards would impact my ability to learn on the instrument. I dont have "piano hands"...or my term for those long limber fingers, but have not had too much issue with standard guitar chords on an easy action.

Thanks so much for the info. Your shop is probably the one who will be getting my business when I decide to pull the trigger so I am sure I will have more questions for you directly once I get ready.

Thanks again!

His Shop is most defiantly the place where I will be getting my Mandolin when the time comes