Thread: Good beginner practice strategy

Default Good beginner practice strategy

I apologize in advance for the long setup, but I hope it will help guide any responses you experienced folks might be willing to offer.

I'm 41 and have owned a mandolin (now two) for less than five months. Other than elementary through high school band (trumpet and baritone), I have not had musical training.

There's no expectation of making mandolin a career or even a sidebar job. The most public use I foresee would be making a decent contribution to a friend's acoustic-guitar-based performances at a local pub, or amusing friends and family occasionally in backyard parties.

In addition to my playing, two friends have kids (6 and 9) who might join me for some early playing lessons. (That's the primary reason for the purchase of a second instrument before reaching any proficiency with the first.) If they enjoy what they learn and want to stick with it, I'm sure the parents would spring for paid lessons with an instructor who actually knows what he/she is doing.

Given those goals, I'm wondering what you experienced players would suggest as a good way to practice the craft. To date, I have been content to strum along to some (mainly G and C chord) tunes. But I also have started a "learn to play" book.

So far, I'm just at the very start of the book picking out individual notes. On most days, I've been able to devote about 30 to 45 minutes to this and have been combining the learning part (the exercise book) with the fun part (playing chords along with popular songs).

Am I on the right track? Would I be better off devoting more attention early on to the technical stuff? How about structuring something basic for the kids? They aren't going to sit through lengthy technical stuff for any extended period of time. Is there a way we can structure something that gives them some basics and is fun enough that they'll be interested in learning more from a real teacher?

If it helps at all, I have two mandolins to work with of my own: the basic Fender A-style starter and the Ovation Applause electric/acoustic. One of the kids has the same Fender A-style.

Thanks again for any help you might be able to offer. I look forward to learning more about mandolins and returning to the forum for advice about upgrading equipment and getting into more complicated stuff as the practice continues.

Default Re: Good beginner practice strategy

MK-
    INHO, sounds to me like you are onthe right track. I wouldn't consider yourself without musical training at all, given the band and vocal experience you mentioned. I think it is important at first to focus on some simple, 2 an 3 chord accompaniments that will allow you to enjoy the experience from the get go. Also to let your self explore simple single note melody, by ear, with songs already in your head, whatever they may be. As for technical....it helped me alot just to to read and understand the goals of Ted E's FFcP excercises (Ted's Jazzamdo site and some of his excercises are linked on the Cafe front page) during the first year of playing. I didn't include sereious daily FFcP (four finger closed Position) work in my practice regime until I'd been playing for more than a year. At some point, scale and arpeggio practice in some form either from tablature or standard music notation could be helpful to improve the fluidity and flexibility of your playing. When that too becomes fun, you will know it is the right time to jump in.

Scott