Thread: Weber Hyalite questions

Default Weber Hyalite questions

Hi folks,

I have a couple of questions about the Weber Hyalite. First one is - has it got an arched top and back, or is it flat? Really hard to tell on photos.

Second question - it looks like it has a more Celtic, elongated teardrop shape than a normal A style. Are they any good for country and bluegrass, or are they better suited to Irish and folk?

Final question - how do they compare with a Gallatin or Bitterroot in terms of sound and playability?

Thanks

John

Default Re: Weber Hyalite questions

Hey Johnny, welcome to the Cafe'! I just recently completed an extensive Weber test drive. Went to a store and played about 2 hours. I played Gallatins, Bitterroots, a Yellowstone, and a Hyalite. I came home with a Bitterroot A. I thought it had the best looks, playability, and tone of the bunch. The Hyalite is indeed carved arched top and back. It is the least expensive Weber model, base price, that is arched and carved. But as you noticed, and even as Weber themselves say, it is a "Celtic" A as opposed to a "traditional" A. More teardrop shaped with sloped shoulders. The older ones have mahogany back and sides but this one was maple. I don't play bluegrass, mostly Celtic and Old Time, so I really wanted to like it. But I didn't. It had very pretty tone but to me it just wasn't very loud. Bluegrass isn't the only genre where the mandolin player wants to be heard! I would think that it would be a fine mandolin for someone who just wants to play at home for their own amusement, or to play in a group where they want to blend rather than stick out. I guess that's what a lot of Celtic players want when everyone is playing melody in unison.

Judging by the tone quality of the Webers I played, I think the Gallatins or Bitterroots would be much better for bluegrass. I would try to find a place to actually play them if I were you. On Webers I think the bridge makes a big difference in sound. The "traditional" Brekke bridge will give you more of a bluegrass sound, while the "original" Brekke bridge will sound more mellow and woody. I prefer the sound of the "original". I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Bitterroot A! for my money I think it's the ideal all purpose, does anything, Swiss army knife mandolin. Everything you need, and nothing you don't. To my eye, very understated and non-flashy yet well built and elegant.

I have no financial interest in Weber instruments, I'm just a big fan! Hope this helps. If you are shopping for a Weber make sure you ask for the best price. 10 percent discount off MSRP is usual from a dealer, 20 or even 30 percent can be had if the dealer wants to move some merchandise. You can custom order to your specifications from Weber, but of course you pay MSRP plus extra for the custom features. Good luck!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

gtani7 

I don't own one but I recently played one and yes the f hole is quite suitable for bluegrass.. or celtic or whatever. f holes rules out nothing nor does an oval hole. People play oval or round holes in both bluegrass and or celtic. Some people have a preference for f hole in bluegrass but that shouldnt rule out a round hole. Yes it does have an arched top and the one I played sounded quite nice. but I have no experience with the others mentioned.

I'm Sure you will get some good information on comparison of brands from others.
    Bart McNeil

Multidon, where in PA did you find so many Webers to try? Thanks, M

I purchased my Bitterroot at Trinity Guitars in Jamestown NY. Only an hour and a half from my location. He had a Hyalite, Gallatins F and A, Bitterroots F and A, and a Yellowstone A. Played them all to death. Nice people there, they were very patient with me. Ended up with the Bitterroot A. It was new old stock with a manufacturing date of 2010, but still a great buy at 26 percent discount off list.

Back to the OP- I thought the Hyalite had a sweet, pleasant sound, but in spite of the F holes would not recommend it for BG just because it is so quiet. At least, the one I played. Hands down the best bang for the buck was the Bitterroot A. I thought the Gallatin A was mighty close for a couple hundred less. I quickly narrowed down to those two and took a long time deciding between them. In the end, their tone and playability was very similar but the Bitterroot was loud and woody while the Gallatin was loud and brighter. It could be because the Gallatin had the "Traditional" bridge and the Bitterroot the "Original" bridge. I really liked both. But the Bitterroot had nicer flame and Im a sucker for that.

With the kind of discounting that store does my Bitterroot cost about the same as some stores get for the Hyalite! Check out his Web site, they will sell on line and ship. http://www.trinityguitars.com The photos do not accurately reflect their stock. The picture they have posted of the Bitterroot A is the one I bought. They also show that they do not have the Hyalite or the Yellowstone but they do. You have to call them to find out what they actually have. NFI.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Many thanks for your replies, guys - especially Don, who has had the chance to sample all these lovely instruments. I'm in the UK and the only place selling Webers is in Brighton. That's around a 6 hour drive from where I live! One of these days, when I've saved up enough money, I'm going to take a trip to Tamco and treat myself.

thanks again,

John

Hi John,

I have sold many Webers over the years and have had a few Hyalites. I am a great fan of their mandolins but there is a reason I don't stock the Hyalite.. I think the Gallatin is worth the extra.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

I agree with Trevor the Gallatin is a really nice mandolin for the money. Bitterroot A is also really nice.