Thread: To replace or not to replace

Default To replace or not to replace

I have a johnson oval hole mando that i got from an uncle many years back. I have been learning the basics and have gotten okay at mando lin. We recently i have begun to notice a few things about the instrument that are beginning to get on my nerves. The tining is really tempermental and it wont stay in tune for very long. Also, there is a buzzing that comes and goes (i believe it is the strings below the bridge) and lastly the instrument rings and reverbarates. What i mean by that is that if u are playing on the treble strings u can hear the vibrations being transfered and the bass strings begin to humm. There aree also little things like the amount of "echo" ( idont know what else to call it) that the instrument produces.

So i have been considering getting a new one or maybe just finding a leuther. What r your thoughts?

Default Re: To replace or not to replace

Johnsons are made in China with little in the way of quality control, and are pretty cheap. You probably can get a luthier to set it up for you, but it is not built to last, and it will be giving you some other kind of trouble before long. My personal belief is that the $70 or so it would take to set up a Johnson is better put toward a new instrument.

Your choices mostly depend on your budget. There are better import mandolins to be had for a few hundred bucks, and once you get above $500 or so, you actually have several nice options. Sometimes an older American budget-brand instrument, like a Kalamazoo or Strad-O-Lin, will show up for a decent price.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

All the problems you appear to be having with your entry-level mandolin, seem fixable for a reasonable price. The tuning problems may be caused by poor/old strings, strings binding in the slots of the nut (which can be improved by lubricating the slots -- a #2 pencil sometimes does the trick), sticking tuning pegs which also might benefit from lubrication, etc. The unwanted sounds from the strings below the bridge can be addressed by some form of dampening (rubber grommets, a leather strip, etc.). Often un-struck strings will vibrate "sympathetically" when a note an octave above is struck; you can dampen lower strings with the heel of your hand when you're not picking them.

All that being said, you may well just have outgrown your inexpensive (hey, free = inexpensive) first instrument. I would have a good instrument repair tech check the Johnson over, and give you a diagnosis and estimate. And I agree with Martin S that putting a significant amount of money into it -- which you won't get out on a trade or resale -- doesn't make sense. I'd start looking for a step-up instrument, even if the Johnson's fixable at a reasonable price. You surely weren't planning on staying with it forever, and the more mandolins you find and play, the better choice you'll make when you decide to buy.

You don't really need a "luthier," one who builds mandolins -- just a good, experienced instrument repair shop. One which might also have a selection of new and used mandolins for purchase.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Maybe it is time to treat yourself to a new Mando.

For a new mando i would like to stay under 500. I just graduated college and so money is still a little tight. What would be your suggestions?

Blog Entries

Your tuning issues may be related to the strings not the tuners. Weaving a bit of leather shoelace between the strings between the tailpiece and bridge will resolve some of the overtones you are getting. I have one of those inexpensive Johnson oval hole mandolins. It was one of my first ones. I spent as much on a set up on it as I did the instrument itself. It's not the best sounding box out there but it does the job fine. I've had it for 10 years and my kids use and abuse it and it still works fine. I would say, in my experience, that laminated top and thick finish make it sturdier than my nicer instruments. The tuners aren't the best but they work and hold tune. Mine intonates just fine in first position and even appropriately at the 12th fret.

Get a set up on your Johnson by someone who knows what they are doing (I will humbly submit anyone who has set up an instrument with a floating bridge (archtop guitar or mandolin or banjo) will be fine), put some new D'Addario J74 strings on it and go from there. Save your money ($15-30 a month) and in a year or so you can afford to get a better solid wood, carved (not pressed) or good flat topped mandolin that will make you much happier. And you'll still have your Johnson as a campfire mandolin.

If you actually have $500 to spend, look at the Eastman 304 or 305 or even the 504 or 505. Other folks speak highly of the Kentucky and The Loar brands. Those are archtop mandolins. I really love the flat top mandolins and would heartily recommend a used Mid Missouri or Big Muddy (same company), old Martin, or Flatiron Pancake mandolin in that range as well.

Welcome to the Cafe!

Jamie

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I just put new strings on it (J74) I normally rest my wrist on the strings below the bridge (is this wrong?) and this seems to mute the overtones a good deal.

Blog Entries

A good sign that it's time to change strings is the tuning/tuning stability getting worse. The leather shoelace woven behind the bridge will give the same effect and leave your hand to come up off of there as needed. Let us know if the new strings fix the tuning issues (after you give them some time to settle in).

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Yeah, I went to play it this morning and I adjusted the bridge and retuned. It seems like they are settling in and some of the strange dynamics that I was getting are gone. I will play it more this weekend and see if I have any more issues