Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Kay Mandolin

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

Default Re: My Kay Mandolin

If the Guitar Center near you is like most Guitar Center stores, they won't know a thing about mandolins and anything you play there won't even have a rudimentary setup (at my "local" store, the one mandolin there had been tuned like a 12 string guitar short a few strings).

It'd be best to find some place with at least a couple brands of mandolin so you have SOME basis for comparison. For your price point, you are probably looking at a used mass market Eastman, The Loar or Kentucky - they really do have different sounds. At the level you are, it's better to find the general mando tone you like, get it set up to your specs and then think about things like changing the bridge or getting a different nut, because those are more tweaks than game-changers.

There was a Cafe thread on mandolin stores in Indianapolis:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ianapolis-area

I'll probably put a Cumberland on my Kay and change the nut (it needs a new nut anyway and I have a Tusq nut) - but mine is being radiused and refretted, so I have it torn apart anyway.
    Last edited by Mo Soar; Aug-26-2012 at 9:44am. Reason: added
    1918 Gibson A, "Lillian";
    1940s (?) Kay A style f hole - currently down for a refret and fretboard re-profile, my first attempts (with guidance) at lutherie.
    1981 Washburn M7SN (2 point);
    2011 Eastman 504, "Belle";
    2012 Lafferty mahogany octave mandolin;
    2012 Emando (Saga), "Hank"

1 husband, 2 dogs, 4 chickens.

Good questions. Just my opinion (though I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks in this line), but many (not all) entry level mandolins, especially F-styled mandos are built more with looks in mind than quality of build and playability. Heavy clearcoat on the outside looks great, but can deaden the tone. Time spent making them look great could have been spent on getting the action right (which you'll have to pay for later).

Why buy online rather than at GC? I won't suggest buying from that big popular auction site as I've made that mistake and spent a lot of time and frustration making something right. However, buying something from someone on this site says that its very likely (though not certain) that the person was someone who cared about the instrument and may have already had the setup done. Check their feedback ratings. Do a forum search for their forum name (if noted) and see if there is any indication of their capabilities and leanings.

Since I first started playing, I've made some of these mistakes and learned a few lessons. I've seen some really nice sounding flat top A's that cost half what I've paid for my collection so far and sound much better than mine.

Again, nothing against GC, but its called Guitar Center, not Mando Center. I shop at my local one often for strings and stuff for mine and my wife's guitars and they are always helpful with them.

You've got the drive to improve. You'll do it!
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

Welcome aboard Joni..........this site is excellent or all things Mandolin.......lots of expertise as you can see from the above comments. The comment about getting the Kay "set up" makes solid sense as you won't really know what that mando can do for you until you get it set up properly.
    I just was at the local Guitar Centre in my area & bought a sweet The Loar LM220-VS for $379.00.......plays very well. They also had a couple of affordable Kentucky, Washburn, & Epiphone mandos & a few other basic brands. When the time comes to get a new mando........there are some very affordable options out there (including in the classifieds here on the Cafe) that will make your mando-playing much less traumatic to the fingers & make your playing experience much more enjoyable.....
    Peace,
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

The Kay bridge was glued-he got the glue off-not knowing how much I wanted to spend-long story short-as has been stated about the Kays-new strings-lowered the bridge-it is easier-but there is an issue with the neck separating from the body-I eventually would like to have the whole thing redone-So that being said
    I made the jump and bought me a Kentucky 250 Wow-so much easier to play-I am getting better on my chord playing-now if I just had more flexibilty-I know it takes time-trying to work on transitioning on my chords and working on my tremulo-with the help of a metronome I haven't given up on my Kay-I would like to get the old girl fixed up
    Having a hard time finding a mandolin strap-don't know why-there is a million to choose from!
    Just wanted to check in-I don't have the skills to tear a mandolin down and work on it-but thanks to this site and might learn a thing or two!
    Any input would be appreciated-
    Have a good evening
    Later
    Joni

Neck problems with the old Kays are very common. Good choice on the Kentucky, good luck with it.

Enjoy your Kentucky....I just had one shipped to Afghanistan, and am loving the adventure.....Bought it and had it setup from The Mandolin Store, and all I can say is WOW!..Plays like a dream. Although I already had some callouses built up from guitar playing, the mando is a diffrent beast. The string tension is much tighter, and it is creating new and improved hard spots....I am loving it...
    Pickin' 'Round the world.....Batteries not included

"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C.Fields