Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mando player in Geico ad w/Gallagher smashing watermelons

Default Re: Mando player in Geico ad w/Gallagher smashing watermelons

What I want to know is - is it really bluegrass........?

I've seen two or three commercials with these guys. How refreshing.
    You can't see your future in a rear view mirror.

The mystery is solved! Elio Schiavo, mandolin player and band leader of the Six Deadly Venoms, informed me that he recorded the mandolin tracks for the commercial on Voight #3. The guy on camera (his name is Alex Harvey I think) is a musician and an actor from NY. Pretty cool huh?

And I just found out that the mando on camera is a San Juan

Cool! It's bothered me everytime I see one of those commercials!

could somebody tab out that riff at the end, it would make my friends, who "saw some guy on a geico commercial playing your ukulele thing", so happy

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Voight View Post
    Pretty cool huh?
    Very cool! And a nice score for you, too. One mystery remains ... the name of the tune. I don't think anyone has identified it. Or is it just something he whipped up?
    Last edited by journeybear; Nov-06-2012 at 11:35pm. Reason: dern speeling!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Very cool! And a nice score for you, too. One mystery remains ... the name of the tune. I don't think anyone has identified it. Or is it just something he whipped up?
    From what I was told, my understanding is that the music was composed and worked up on the spot in the studio.

Blog Entries

Figured as much. So I guess my jocular title, "The GEICO Commercial Happiness Stomp" (or whatever it was - can't find it, of course) is as good as any.

Ah - found it. "GEICO Commercial Bluegrass Theme." A bit generic, per my usual style.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

always bugged me that the playing motion is not even close to in sync with the music....but it is nice to see a mando in mainstream.......

Blog Entries

There's a new one! A couple of antelopes wth night vision glasses, watching a lion futilely searching for them. "Happier than an antelope wth night vision glasses." Keep 'em coming, guys!

Trip - I know. But I like how often these get aired, hence how often people see them; how humorous and well-presented they are; and how upbeat, positive, and generally pleasant the overall impression of the mandolin is in them. These factors all contribute to furthering mandolin consciousness, IMHO, possibly even more so than occasional instances of musical performances of mandolins in TV appearances. Funny and sad how these things work sometimes. But I'm glad for these spots. I think they help familiarize the general public with the instrument. And as I said, leave a favorable impression as well. All the more better!

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonSamurai View Post
    How funny! I was watching the Olympics, saw an ad with my old friend playing the Mandolin, and had to try to find the youtube clip! I googled it and this came up. He's Alex Harvey, a theatre director who also is a wonderful musician. He used to live in Chicago, is now based out of New York. He had a band for awhile called REO Chuckwagon
    I was watching this documentary called "Botany of Desire" and in the special features of the DVD, there was this UC berkeley panel with this kinda of crazy theatre director who was making a musical based on a documentary about plants. I then saw the bodybuilder commercial with him playing mandolin, and I thought no way that's the same guy, that's too much of a coincidence, but sure enough, its him.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1283853952/

It's a Voight Mandolin
    Jeffrey

New Commercial out, just saw it tonight, about a basketball player who likes blocking shots, pretty funny
    Note: Throwing out there another request for the tab for the song they play at the end
    Musica mulcet ad animam.
    Musica placet aurium.
    Musica aedificat corda

Quote Originally Posted by TheArimathean View Post
    New Commercial out, just saw it tonight, about a basketball player who likes blocking shots, pretty funny
    Dikembe Mutombo, NBA MVP defensive player 4 times, greatest shot blocker of all time (in my time anyway), speaks nine languages. Dude is a 7'2" monster.

Blog Entries

Yessirree! I didn't see this during the Super Bowl (it probably ran during the first half, and I still have been unable to make myself watch that ... ) but saw it a day or two later. Great series - keep 'em coming!

BTW, all these are available for viewing at the Mandolins In Commercials thread. Not willing to reproduce my efforts and post them here.

Looks like you're going to have to learn that tune the old-fashioned way - listen and play what you hear. It's not that hard! It literally would take more time to tab it out than figure it out. Hint: It's in D, the chord pattern is G D A A, it starts on a B note.

Paul Revere with a cell phone!
    Musica mulcet ad animam.
    Musica placet aurium.
    Musica aedificat corda