Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New mandolin - push-back from spousal unit

Default Re: New mandolin - push-back from spousal unit

Wow, this is a biggy. If its not too obnoxious and boring let me give you a very sad, expensive story; boy meets mando, boy falls deeply in love with mando, boy spends tens of thousands on finding the right mando. That's right CC, I'm that stupid boy. I too fell in love just a few years ago and have searched and searched to find THE ONE. I've found what ibelieve to be the one only after years of searching but that's another story. How does my parable relate to you? I'm not sure, but the problem is, is that there's a mandolin with your name on it somewhere, if only still in the makers hands and imagination. Honestly it may be too soon for you to know who your mando soulmate is, early on our frame of reference is too narrow for us to make a lifetime decision. I'd encourage you to try as many mandolins as you can for as long as you can without buying one to grow your frame of reference so that when you do find THE ONE, it's forever. But seriously welcome to MAS, start saving now, it's an expensive ride . Some of here have been around here long enough to see people flame out and be left destitute by the ravages of this dark disease. Another thought would be to head to Mandolin Brothers, they have enough for a true awakening. Don't get hung up on any specific brand either, there's no point, you'll either fall in love with that Mr. Right Mando or have owned so many that you can spot a keeper from 50 yards. BTW, they're all keepers, it the software not the hardware that makes it all happen. Good luck and enjoy the ride, mandolins are far more dangerous than motorcycles.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

A word or two about a custom build (something a couple of people have mentioned).
    An experienced hand builder usually develops a very consistent sound, actually more so than production instruments in most cases. It can be difficult to get your hands on examples from many small builders because their output is not as big as factories, so the instruments are not in stores in quantities like Collings, Weber, etc.. If, however you happen to find a hand made instrument with the sound you want, there's a good chance that the builder can build a mandolin with a very similar sound and a neck shaped exactly like you want it (if you really know what neck shape you want and can communicate it to the builder).
    I always advocate for hand builders when I can because I think they should be supported by players, and also (full disclosure...) because I am one!
    The point of this post is this; if you go with an experienced hand builder and if you like the sound of examples of his/her work, you are not buying a pig in a poke when it comes to sound. If you know what you want in terms of appearance, feel, etc., the physical aspects (many don't) and can communicate those things to the builder, once again you are not buying a pig in a poke.
    Sure, playing before you buy may be the surest way of knowing exactly what it is you're buying, but ordering a custom build is not a toss of the dice. Many builders will work with you if you are not satisfied with the instrument when you get it, perhaps offering to buy it back from you, sell it and then refund most of your purchase price, something like that. Most can't afford a full "money back guarantee", but any risk involved in the transaction should be shared, IMO, between the builder and buyer, and it all should be agreed upon before the build begins.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Cee Cee,

You should pay a visit to Ken Ratcliff at Silverangel Mandolins and check out the playability and sound of his F5 mandolins. The sound of his mandolins have a beautiful deep sonorous sound, way different to other bluegrass mandolins, well suited to a variety of styles of music. He has two for sale, one X-braced and one with tone bars. They cost $4,000.

You should check out YouTube videos to see what they sound like. I have pictures Ken sent to me the other day. I can send them on to you if you send me a private message with your email address.

Nobody has mentioned another solution to her problem...be less picky! I don't mean play less, I mean lower your standards a bit...thats how I found my first wife! All kidding aside, this is how I decided to keep my first mando. It is a Morgan Monroe distressed model that seemed a bit quiet to me, until I had a pro play it at a workshop and it came alive in his hands, which showed me the potential it had if I rose to the occasion and got better. It is not EXACTLY what I want but it is close enough for my capability right now until I deserve a better one. And since I put a pickup in it, it is even easier to play than before. When I buy my next mando, it will either be in hand, or it will be a Daley A-style. If you heard one, then your build will sound the same, and I like the sound of the Daley. http://www.simdaley.com/a-style/a-style.html

Mandolin Brothers has an MF5 in stock. On the way down you might want to try out an Altman F5 at Lark Street Music in Teaneck, NJ.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Drive to Mandolin Brothers. You will be amazed at your choices of playability, esthetics and sound. It will be a road trip that you will remember forever.
    Randy Leferink

'95 Flatiron A5, Weber signed
    '07 Daley F5 Vintage, #59

Blog Entries

If you are particular, that raises challenges to buying a spec instrument or having one come from a builder that will meet your needs unless you have frequent effective communication and ideally visit the build as it goes. There's no right or wrong here. Just adapt to the situation you create/find yourself in. Understand the risks of going either way.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Mandolin Brothers has an MF5 in stock. On the way down you might want to try out an Altman F5 at Lark Street Music in Teaneck, NJ.
    I picked on that Altman a few weeks back. Impressive axe, no question about it!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Dave, I'd check but I don't think that Steve at AMW is a Weber dealer any more. He might have a few NOS lying about, but I believe he has stopped ordering from them.
    Mary, thanks for the update. It's been a while since I've been in the shop.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

"picky" can turn to "MAS" in a thrice. i hate to say this, but ... until you learn to "love the one you're with" ... you're doomed.

Update:

Brian and I are in the process of working out some kind of mutually acceptable arrangement. He's a thoroughly good person.

In addition, I've decided not to go for a top of the line instrument. $6200 fell out of the sky and I don't think I want to spend more than that. I'm a consultant to a large company that's in the process of "re-structuring", so I don't know what my working future holds.

I still feel entitled to spend manna from heaven, but not to dip into savings.

So we're looking at the Collings MF and Webers in the same basic price range.

Keep ya posted. (And notice that I haven't parenthesized anything?) Uhhhhhhhhh. Oooops. :-)

CeeCee
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

I was at Mandolin Brothers this past Saturday. After playing most of the vintage instruments on the wall, Stan brought out from the back room a new Collings MF5 for me to try out. It's a great sounding instrument and looks great too. I think you owe it to yourself to make a trip down there (I think of my yearly visits as a pilgrimage to the mecca of the mandolin world), and try out as many instruments as you can to get a better handle on your preferences.
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA

John -

I'm pretty committed to working with my local shop. I like them and I like having their support. Short-term, it might be somewhat limiting. Long-term, I think it will pay dividends.

CeeCee

15. The following members say thank you to CeeCee_C for this post:

When I buy my next mando, it will either be in hand, or it will be a Daley A-style. If you heard one, then your build will sound the same, and I like the sound of the Daley. http://www.simdaley.com/a-style/a-style.html[/QUOTE]

Nice looking instruments!
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

Sounds like a plan. I got a recent Collings MF while trading through stuff last Winter and was blown away, the Collings stuff is so consistently good. The Webers are great too, my only reservation there is that I've played a few that we're very tight but would probably open over time. Sight unseen I'd go Collings but I've heard and played some Webers that were every bit as good and they typically have more of the neck profile you're going for. Anyway, those are two top flight companies and you'll get all you need and more with either.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

CeeCee - what I can't tell from your post is how long you've been playing and what your experience is with other instruments. If you've been playing for a while and have sampled a range of instruments, then you probably have a good idea of your preferences, and they are more likely to be stable (ish). If you're relatively new to the instrument or have only played one or two, it might be worthwhile spending more time exploring the range of options.

I applaud your decision to work with your local shop - it's a tough business and depends on customers being loyal enough not to default to ordering from the cheapest warehouse they can find online. That said, stores like Mandolin Bros. are very welcoming of customers who want to go in and sample what they have as part of the education process. They are tremendous resources that way.

If you do decide to do any road-tripping as part of your search, do yourself (and the retailers in question) a favor and call a couple of days ahead of time... tell them what you are looking to try, and ask what they have in stock. Do not rely on their websites for this information, as the websites can lag behind their real time stock. You don't want to spend 3 hours driving somewhere to try a certain instrument, only to find that they don't actually have one you can try.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

As an aside -- I can't help but notice 3 things.

1) The OP did not post this as a whining "my spouse won't let me have what I want!" post. She listed the good reasons her SU had given for having concerns. and

2) (possibly b/c of #1) There was not the usual pile-on of responses along the lines of "What a big meanie your spouse is!!" or "I feel your pain, my spouse is a big meanie too!" or "These spouses should just let us do/have/spend whatever we want!"

and actually,
    3) the OP is a woman and the spouse in question is a man.

Just sayin.

This is a refreshing change in tone, imho, and I would love to see other posters follow CeeCee's lead when posting about concerns their spouses have regarding their purchases. Give the real reasons (if they are appropriate for sharing). And let's have a real conversation. Rather than just an invitation to bash one person's (or everybody's) spouse for having (usually legitimate) concerns about a major purchase.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to otterly2k For This Useful Post:

Maybe if you said what you are looking for........you might get lucky and someone will have just the ticket, that you can return if not satisfied......good luck.........Denise

FWIW if you are sold on a Collings (and why not)...

I played three MFs, liked the sound, then called Alex at Collings. Based on those discussions ended up custom ordering an MF through a dealer (Cotton). Added a hard maple back (adds a bit more darkness to the sound) and a custom 1-3/16 wide neck; which the V was rounded more to a U. Exceptional result.

It may be hard to find what you are looking for if it is sort of unconventional, so in the end you may not be able to play your desired instrument before ordering. But Collings is very trustworthy with custom orders. The MF was my second custom Collings (a D2HA was the first) and both came out better than expected.

And... I recently spent some time playing a nice instrument with a narrow, pronounced v neck and I was surprised that I adjusted without much of a transition; so I learned the neck shape is less of a concern now. And the sound that I shied away from years ago (open, ringing midrange/treble); I have now come to appreciate (I blame it on a certain Phoenix BG model). I.e. you may find what you consider your dream mando now, changing down the road... and maybe not. Good luck.
    TomF

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee_C View Post
    ...I'm pretty committed to working with my local shop. I like them and I like having their support. Short-term, it might be somewhat limiting. Long-term, I think it will pay dividends....
    Hurray for you! You're right; there's no substitute for working with a reliable local dealer, where you can build an ongoing relationship. I speak as someone who's basically been patronizing the same three Rochester dealers for 40 years or so.

I realize that for some that's not an option. They have no local dealers who stock or can obtain a decent selection of mandolins, or other acoustic instruments. And there are wonderful mail-order or on-line dealers who can provide a wide spectrum, and also provide excellent customer service. Nothing against them.

But to have someone who recognizes you when you walk in the door, who knows what kind of music you like and what sorts of instruments you own, who can fix and adjust and upgrade your mandolin, and (who knows?) maybe take it in trade later on a new one, who'll order your particular brand of strings and help you find a better gig bag -- that's the best. IHMO, anyway.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

24. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

Well said, Karen.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +