Thread: Hello everyone from the outer Hebrides

I live on the Isle of Lewis in the Scottish outer Hebrides

Default Hello everyone from the outer Hebrides

Just joined the Mandolin cafe today so hi to you all. I have not yet received my new mandolin only ordered it today it's a Goldtone GM50. I have two Irish tenor banjos that I really enjoy and thought a mandolin would be interesting. I am booking lessons to start soon. There are no other tenor banjo players as far as I know on the Island. I understand that the mandolin is tuned GDAE the same as my banjos so might be able to combine techniques.As you probably gathered my choice of music is irish traditional/folk
    I also have three bodhrans and a tin whistle. My music collection includes De dannan, Planxty. The Bothy band, some Dubliners and Chieftan tunes I could go on for hours.

Mar shin leat
    Peatstack

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello everyone from the outer Hebrides

I was in the Hebrides in 1976. Unbelievably beautiful; wonderful people; good scotch! Though it was July, and I was from Texas, and I froze my whatsis off.

Hi, I visited Scotland in 97, but Among my ferry trips were the Island Hopper
    of the inner Hebrides from Ayr to Oban , via Islay..

As an Oregonian I was better Acclimated.. [than our texas friend]
    and my Bike tour had been going since march, from SW Ireland, up the coast..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The Outer Hibredes are one of the worlds best kept secrets. Stunning..... Glad to have you aboard.
    Bart McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by peatstack View Post
    My music collection includes De dannan, Planxty. The Bothy band, some Dubliners and Chieftan tunes I could go on for hours.

Mar shin leat
    Peatstack
    Wellcome to the cafe, I love those bands you mentioned, A classic mix of good Irish music.
    If you needed a place to rest for the night but had no money, you would write a song/tune for the inkeeper in payment for it. These tune etc were called Planxties. (Just thought you'd like to know).
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Another Scot joins the Cafe! Greetings from Cowal in sunny Argyllshire (really, it is today!). As well as the Irish stuff you mention there is of course a wealth of good traditional Scottish/Gaelic music for you to get your teeth into. Stacks of great pipe tunes and fiddle music.
    Look forward to hearing some postings from you in due course.

Carpe Mandolinium

A while back the Dubliners were on a low-budget TV show in the US. After a brief performance, there was an interview.

First question: "So, where are you from?"

Really
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

Welcome to the Cafe! 'Have never been to Lewis, but saw it quite clearly across the water while staying with relatives in northwestern Skye for a while in June -- so close! Next time we'll have to get to the Outer Hebrides. I've been a Celtic/old time mandolin player for a number of years and took up tenor banjo about 4-5 years ago. I found the transition really quite easy and I think you'll enjoy playing both as most of the tunes are also quite transferable. I do!! One player who does both tenor banjo and mandolin really well is Brian Kelly from London area. You may know of him as he has a couple of solo banjo CDs (and plays with the Long Notes). And of course, there's Mick Maloney and lots of others. Have fun with the new mando!!
    Too many instruments...too little time

Peat,

Please send me one Harris Tweed jacket size 46 Long. Traditional weave.

Thank you so much.

Dave Coventry
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Hi Peat,

I have been just about everywhere else in Scotland except the Hebrides. One of these days I'll put that right. As a tenor banjo player I'm sure you'll take to the mandolin like the proverbial duck to water. One of my favourite traditional bands is from Shetland. They are called Hom Bru, and one of the two mandolinists in the band, Gary Peterson, is a wizard tenor banjo player. If you don't know them, I bet you'll love their music. [Don't confuse them with the Texas band by the same name, though. ]

ron